Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-09-2018, 14:55   #1276
blanch152
Registered User
 
blanch152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatnastyboy View Post
They bought at the very top of values.

Bought for about 300k, property next door currently for sale today for 210k,

90k negative if you look at purchase price only. As for interest, I'm not privvy to the actual figures at the moment..


I think the bolded bit is true, but it's reality - and I'm sure they don't enjoy being told how privileged they are for being landlords...

It still doesn't make sense.


https://www.drcalculator.com/mortgage/

A 90% 35-year mortgage at 4%, gives a monthly payment of €1,100.

After ten years, the outstanding balance is 219k, meaning they are only in negative equity of 10k. Not great but not insurmountable.

A more normal 25-year 90% mortgage, on a tracker rate of 2%, would leave the outstanding balance at 175k, a positive equity situation of 35k, enough for a deposit on another property.
blanch152 is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 14:57   #1277
Seathrun66
Registered User
 
Seathrun66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper75 View Post
In a country where it is absolutely legal to wear a burka style headdress, there can be no way in which you can question the executive force of the law wearing balaclavas.
Not for the Gardai. They’re prohibited from wearing burkas or any form of religious paraphernalia. The use of balaclavas in this instance is not justifiable, particularly if they’ve no recognisable unique identification in the event of violent clashes. Officers need to be identifiable in the event of use of excess force.
Seathrun66 is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 14:59   #1278
Captain Obvious
Registered User
 
Captain Obvious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seathrun66 View Post
Not for the Gardai. They’re prohibited from wearing burkas or any form of religious paraphernalia. The use of balaclavas in this instance is not justifiable, particularly if they’ve no recognisable unique identification in the event of violent clashes. Officers need to be identifiable in the event of use of excess force.

That's why they wore their numbers on their shoulders.
Captain Obvious is offline  
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 14:59   #1279
PlaneSpeeking
Banned
 
PlaneSpeeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 4,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3 View Post
I agree, education should always be encouraged for the hand of thinking.
And especially those who cannot distinguish between a typographical error when typing quickly and not actually knowing what word to use.

Go find your own argument eh ?
PlaneSpeeking is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:03   #1280
Thatnastyboy
Registered User
 
Thatnastyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanch152 View Post
It still doesn't make sense.


https://www.drcalculator.com/mortgage/

A 90% 35-year mortgage at 4%, gives a monthly payment of €1,100.

After ten years, the outstanding balance is 219k, meaning they are only in negative equity of 10k. Not great but not insurmountable.

A more normal 25-year 90% mortgage, on a tracker rate of 2%, would leave the outstanding balance at 175k, a positive equity situation of 35k, enough for a deposit on another property.

I will get the figures later because I cant place my point without them.

Your top assumption is 100% not the case here. Otherwise they wouldnt be in the pickle they are in.
Thatnastyboy is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 15:08   #1281
BBFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeeking View Post
Really ? Not that you deserve an explanation but education should always be encouraged for the hard of thinking:



So you might want to wind your neck in and as painful as it may be, realise you DO NOT know everyone's life.
You have one pair of pennys runners to your name?

Yeah, you mind want to wind your own neck in there and get down off the cross.

Can not stand martyrs.

That's either a lie or you're just cheap. Either way, nothing to do with poverty.

I presume you're a working person since you rant all the time about the "spongers"?
BBFAN is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:09   #1282
Johnny Dogs
Registered User
 
Johnny Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
the removal was done under the order of the court. why is that an issue for you?
It's not, and I don't know how you missed me saying that either.
Johnny Dogs is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:10   #1283
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Don't forget to swipe right
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,037
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatnastyboy View Post
They're in the country though, so affected by the same crisis the cities are feeling. So move the goalposts to Dublin if you like.
I'm not moving the goalposts, maybe you didn't notice that i specifically referenced the urban areas of the country from the outset.

I'm originally from the countryside myself, I know very well that property prices haven't recovered there (although 'recovery' seems the wrong word to use, for prices that were wildly inflated to begin with).

In any event, rural property isn't really relevant to the housing and homelessness crisis.
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:18   #1284
dav3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,590
The main issue is the behaviour of the Gardaí and the perception that they were there siding with unidentified masked men, rather than carrying out the job they are paid to do following the three simple Policing Principles that state that policing services must be provided:
1) Independent and impartially.
2) In a manner that respects human rights.
3) In a manner that supports the proper and effective administration of justice.

This has led to all sorts of accusations, including the rumour that the masked men were known to the Gardaí. Rumours that they were a criminal gang from the UK, or a criminal gang from Ireland, or a paramilitary gang from the north, or even Gardaí themselves looking for a bit of extra money on the side and not wanting to be identified.

With so many Gardaí getting into property and becoming landlords during the boom, you can understand why people may be concerned over the possibility of them taking the side of the landlord and whatever masked goons turn up at the next protest.

The housing crisis is not going away, it appears that the protests are only just beginning. Hopefully the Gardaí have their house in order by the next event.
dav3 is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 15:25   #1285
Will I Am Not
Registered User
 
Will I Am Not's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3 View Post
The main issue is the behaviour of the Gardaí and the perception that they were there siding with unidentified masked men, rather than carrying out the job they are paid to do following the three simple Policing Principles that state that policing services must be provided:
1) Independent and impartially.
2) In a manner that respects human rights.
3) In a manner that supports the proper and effective administration of justice.

This has led to all sorts of accusations, including the rumour that the masked men were known to the Gardaí. Rumours that they were a criminal gang from the UK, or a criminal gang from Ireland, or a paramilitary gang from the north, or even Gardaí themselves looking for a bit of extra money on the side and not wanting to be identified.

With so many Gardaí getting into property and becoming landlords during the boom, you can understand why people may be concerned over the possibility of them taking the side of the landlord and whatever masked goons turn up at the next protest.

The housing crisis is not going away, it appears that the protests are only just beginning. Hopefully the Gardaí have their house in order by the next event.
Do you have a number for that?
Will I Am Not is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:29   #1286
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Don't forget to swipe right
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,037
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am Not View Post
Do you have a number for that?
In fairness, it's a fairly common experience, i think it has something to do with the early retirement age of Gardaí, who in recent years have often tended to become landlords as part of their pension plan/ part-time job in retirement.

I rented in Dublin before i bought my place, and over the course of about seven years, two of my landlords were retired gardaí. It's only anecdotal, I'm not sure who would possibly gather data on this.
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:29   #1287
ohnonotgmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 14,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dogs View Post
It's not, and I don't know how you missed me saying that either.

Now maybe i read your post incorrectly, in which case i apologise, but to me this reads like you DO have a problem with who did the removing and unders whos orders it was done.


Quote:
**and I have zero problem with the protesters removal, just who did the removing, and under who's orders**
ohnonotgmail is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:33   #1288
Thatnastyboy
Registered User
 
Thatnastyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
I'm not moving the goalposts, maybe you didn't notice that i specifically referenced the urban areas of the country from the outset.

I'm originally from the countryside myself, I know very well that property prices haven't recovered there (although 'recovery' seems the wrong word to use, for prices that were wildly inflated to begin with).

In any event, rural property isn't really relevant to the housing and homelessness crisis.

What about the folk who currently cant afford to buy/rent rural properties? Do they not matter?


*Edit - 1000th post, what a waste

Last edited by Thatnastyboy; 14-09-2018 at 16:30.
Thatnastyboy is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:33   #1289
Will I Am Not
Registered User
 
Will I Am Not's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
In fairness, it's a fairly common experience, i think it has something to do with the early retirement age of Gardaí, who in recent years have often tended to become landlords as part of their pension plan/ part-time job in retirement.

I rented in Dublin before i bought my place, and over the course of about seven years, two of my landlords were retired gardaí. It's only anecdotal, I'm not sure who would possibly gather data on this.
Never knew it was a thing at all. Sure I thought they were on terrible wages...
Will I Am Not is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:43   #1290
Amirani
Moderator
 
Amirani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Property values are higher than they were during the last boom.
Nope, they're not. If you're basing you're entire argument on this then it's definitely flawed. There will definitely still be people in negative equity in Dublin as house prices have not yet reached their previous peak, they remain a good bit below.

Rent prices have exceeded previous peak.
Amirani is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet