Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-09-2018, 14:20   #7246
Deebles McBeebles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightband View Post
does this really happen though? do many of them actually seek employment? I've never come across a paye working traveller.
Have seen this once in my life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sightband View Post
it's mainly stuff like being refused entry to pubs, because they destroy them and also being asked to leave shops, because they rob them blind.
Have seen both many times.
Deebles McBeebles is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 14:32   #7247
KrustyUCC
Registered User
 
KrustyUCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
I voted independent once too but what's the point? They either get absorbed by the parties you didn't want to vote for or they can get absolutely nothing done by staying independent.
True

I absolutely believe in voting though so i needed somebody to vote for
KrustyUCC is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 14:35   #7248
sightband
Banned
 
sightband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 644
A family member is from Moate, Westmeath. Good number of pikeys around those parts. When one of them dies and there’s a funeral, all five pubs in the town close for the day. They know the loss of earnings for a day versus the risk of either having the place thrashed or having to pay compo for refusing them is a no brainer.
sightband is offline  
14-09-2018, 14:39   #7249
KrustyUCC
Registered User
 
KrustyUCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,808
That situation is repeated up and down the country

Some would claim that's racism

Nope just prior experience
KrustyUCC is offline  
14-09-2018, 14:42   #7250
BattleCorp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,071
Publicans are in a crap situation. Let travellers in and risk having your place trashed and losing your regulars. Don't let them in and possibly be breaking the law.

I worked in a pub that began to serve travellers. That lasted all of two weeks. The owner wasn't so keen on serving them after they wrecked the gaff.
BattleCorp is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 14:43   #7251
KrustyUCC
Registered User
 
KrustyUCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,808
Yet the next bunch in would get compo if refused service

Damned if you do damned if you don't
KrustyUCC is offline  
14-09-2018, 14:47   #7252
Deebles McBeebles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightband View Post
A family member is from Moate, Westmeath. Good number of pikeys around those parts. When one of them dies and there’s a funeral, all five pubs in the town close for the day. They know the loss of earnings for a day versus the risk of either having the place thrashed or having to pay compo for refusing them is a no brainer.
One kind publican in my town used to let his regulars in the back door while making sure the shutters out the front were shut tight.
Deebles McBeebles is offline  
14-09-2018, 14:58   #7253
Vox Nihili
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
...refusing to employ them on the basis of their ethnicity.
Plenty of employers will readily hire other ethnic and racial minorities, but will have reservations about employing travellers. Why? Not because of their ethnicity, but because of the documented prevalence of violence and criminality in the traveller community.

Also, if you cross one traveller, you can have the entire local traveller community coming after you. If a shop owner hires young Mary McDonagh to work in his business, and later discovers that she's been helping herself to the contents of the till, he probably faces intimidation and threats of violence from the entire local Quinn-McDonagh-Nevin connection if he has to fire her. He has legitimate reason to fear for his personal safety and for his business premises. Logical conclusion: Don't take the risk. Don't hire Mary McDonagh in the first place.

It's all very well for academics to sit in their ivory towers and write papers about discrimination and ethnicity and the plight of the poor travellers. Any business owner in Ireland knows it's far more complicated than that.
Vox Nihili is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:03   #7254
mynamejeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post

As for not knowing any travellers, I don't think i need to prove myself to some randomer on a bulletin board.
sure

long as you dont expect people to believe your made up BS and fantasy stories :-)
mynamejeff is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 15:03   #7255
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Gimme A Pound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Actually, I'm talking about things like openly sniggering at travellers, using group epithets towards them like 'knacker', and refusing to employ them on the basis of their ethnicity
It is not just because of their ethnicity - and well you know it.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:08   #7256
BattleCorp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,071
BattleCorp is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:09   #7257
BBFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightband View Post
A family member is from Moate, Westmeath. Good number of pikeys around those parts. When one of them dies and there’s a funeral, all five pubs in the town close for the day. They know the loss of earnings for a day versus the risk of either having the place thrashed or having to pay compo for refusing them is a no brainer.
What has any of this got to do with the thread?
BBFAN is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:18   #7258
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Don't forget to swipe right
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,037
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
It is not just because of their ethnicity - and well you know it.
It can be, though.

People on this thread have openly admitted they wouldn't hire travellers (assuming for one moment they might actually be in a position to do so).

Obviously, there are HUGE problems with anti-social behaviour within the travelling community: petty crime, serious crime, domestic violence, even drug-dealing.

But to think that they are all like this, and to fail to draw a connection between these problems and a widespread refusal to employ a traveller, is pretty myopic.

The same people complaining that travellers tend to be unemployed are the very same people who declare they'd never give a traveller a job, regardless.
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:28   #7259
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Gimme A Pound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,360
It's still not because of ethnicity in and of itself - it's exactly what you mentioned: the disproportionate amount of violence, crime etc. Absolutely, not all travellers partake in same, but the risk is higher. That's what it's about - risk minimisation. Something all who hire staff need to be profoundly aware of, when it comes to anything or anyone. With travellers too, there is the additional risk of family ties even if the individual is ok.

Maybe if the person doing the hiring knows them and their family, what you say should apply.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:31   #7260
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Gimme A Pound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,360
Yes I already made the point there's no point complaining about travellers being unemployed while also understanding why they wouldn't be hired. But it's the problems in their community that are the cause of this, not mean settled people.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
Thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search