Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-09-2018, 12:21   #7651
FishOnABike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
Bing was caught using Google.

Hiybbprqag was a made up word with made up results. But after a while Bing started returning results that could only have been scraped off Google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyTheTerrific View Post
And that's not a new trick to catch out fraudsters.
Dictionary makers put fake words in dictionaries and map makers put false features on their maps so they can tell when they've been copied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelCoin View Post
Film studios put unique markers in screening copies to try detect who shared the screener to pirates.

These deliberate mistakes are known as copyright easter eggs.
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 12:24   #7652
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
Well yeah...... because it's mathematics.
I'm not sure what you mean. There are number patterns that are true for deeper reasons, but would also be 'just mathematics'. I more mean many number tricks don't really show an unusual fact about numbers, you're really just "dividing six by two" or similar.
14-09-2018, 12:25   #7653
Professor Moriarty

Quote:
The scientific name for "brain freeze" caused by eating something cold is sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia.
Interestingly, I tried saying sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia and my brain froze.
14-09-2018, 12:27   #7654
CruelCoin

I have spent approx 35000 hours in my lifetime playing video games.

I could have cured cancer but didn't.

You're welcome.
14-09-2018, 12:28   #7655
razorblunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
The Corpus Callosum is situatued under the cerebral cortex in the human brain, and among other things it connects the two hemisphere of the brain. In general, the right side of the brain largely controls movements on the left side of the body, and the left side controls the right. Damage to this area on the right side of the brain can result in cognitive issues, as well as issues of control and muscle recognition on the left side of the body. One of the more interesting medical conditions that can result from right hemisphere damage from injury, surgery or illness such as a stroke, is Anarchic hand or Alien Hand Syndrome.

AHS is a rare neurological condition where one hand basically seems to act on it's own. A person could be writing with their right hand, and if the left is affected by AHS, then the left hand might purposefully move to stop them, or take the pen away. One could lift a fork to one's mouth with a right hand, and the left hand could smack it away. The movements appear considered and deliberate and goal orientated, and a battle to keep things in one hand while the other hand tries to take them away is a common symptom. You could zip up your fly with one hand while the other immediately takes it down. It must be incredibly frustrating. It differs from other disorders in that the patient recognizes it as belonging to them, but it appears to have it's own will.

It must be distressing to live with and thankfully it's rare since there is no cure for AHS. Drugs offer limited help, vocalizing commands to the rogue hand can sometimes help, and as a last resort strapping the hand down is used. Some people have even reported their hand as trying to hurt them.

It seems a very unfair business to survive injury, stroke, surgery or whatever, only to be burdened with a rogue hand sabotaging your everyday life from slapping you awake to trying to choke you.
Just me?

Advertisement
14-09-2018, 12:28   #7656
the purple tin

The same artist came up with both the iconic modern version of Father Christmas and the image of Uncle Sam.
(4) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 12:29   #7657
sbsquarepants

Quote:

I could have cured cancer but didn't.
Bet you couldn't
14-09-2018, 13:13   #7658
b318isp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
Interestingly, I tried saying sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia and my brain froze.
Try:

spheno-palatine ganglion-euralgia.
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 13:15   #7659
New Home

Rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 13:28   #7660
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by b318isp View Post
Try:

spheno-palatine ganglion-euralgia.
spheno-palatine ganglio-neuralgia is smoother in my view.
14-09-2018, 13:39   #7661
Cordell

Quote:
If you put headphones in nostrils, close your windpipe and open your mouth, you turn your head into a big speaker.
I really need to check this, I'll report later, gtg.
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 14:48   #7662
DEFTLEFTHAND

Gridiron football, NFL etc orginated in Canada not America. At the McGill University in Montreal.

McGill took components of rugby and modified the rules, they introduced the concept of 'downs' .

In 1874 McGill travelled to Harvard to play the American version of football 'Boston Rules' which was more like soccer at the time.

The Yanks were impressed by the Canadians game and rewrote the rules of their own game. Switching to an oval ball and introducing downs and tackling.

Today the CFL in Canada continues to operate, with the Grey Cup being the oldest competition in gridiron. The rules of the two games still differ slightly.
(4) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:03   #7663
DEFTLEFTHAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by the purple tin View Post
The same artist came up with both the iconic modern version of Father Christmas and the image of Uncle Sam.
A German immigrant Thomas Nast. He was also famous for his derogatory depictions of the Irish, the ape in a tattered suit swigging out of a bottle. Over here Punch Magazine published his drawings.

Not a nice person. Viewed the Irish and Italians in NY as a sub species.
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:25   #7664
Realt Dearg Sec

According to Wiki he actually didn't come up with Uncle Sam. But he did come up with Santa (and the elephant as a symbol of the republican party, but not the donkey for Dems)
(2) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:31   #7665
Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the purple tin View Post
A German immigrant Thomas Nast. He was also famous for his derogatory depictions of the Irish, the ape in a tattered suit swigging out of a bottle. Over here Punch Magazine published his drawings.

Not a nice person. Viewed the Irish and Italians in NY as a sub species.
He sounds Nast-y.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion