Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-09-2018, 11:07   #3991

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCorp View Post
Before you go throwing stones at how the pope 'is' elected, neither our Taoiseach or President has to be elected where all of the citizens vote.

And our voting is done in secret too.
There is a big difference between how our Taoiseach and President (who has no power anyway) get into position than how the Pope does.

At no point in the process does any ordinary citizen have a vote on who becomes a priest or moves up though the catholic ranks to cardinal to eventually become the pope. Its a closed shop all the way.
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 14:06   #3992
Zubeneschamali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
Nope, the devil is real and not a metaphor according to the pope
He may have a social conscience better than Ratzingers, but if he believes this stuff literally, I'm afraid I'll have to move him to my "Nice but nuts" box.
(2) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 14:18   #3993
Hitman3000

I see where he is going here. The devil made them do it. ; )
14-09-2018, 14:25   #3994
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubeneschamali View Post
He may have a social conscience better than Ratzingers, but if he believes this stuff literally, I'm afraid I'll have to move him to my "Nice but nuts" box.

He is a jesuit. what do you expect?
14-09-2018, 14:28   #3995
Zubeneschamali

Quote:
He is a jesuit. what do you expect?
I have spoken to Jesuits who don't even believe in God, never mind a literal Devil.
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 14:38   #3996
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
I have spoken to Jesuits who don't even believe in God, never mind a literal Devil.

well then you need to speak to better jesuits
14-09-2018, 16:21   #3997
Zubeneschamali

Quote:
well then you need to speak to better jesuits

Better =/= nuttier in my eyes.
20-09-2018, 07:33   #3998
DChancer

So the OPW have finally put a figure on those attending the Gig in the park,just under 152,000 including all those taking part eg choirs etc.
Sad they had to be hit with a Freedom of Information request to force them to issue the figures.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37335645.html
20-09-2018, 07:59   #3999
Christy42

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a little worried that he is talking about the Devil roaming the world. I hope this is a metaphor.

Nope, the devil is real and not a metaphor according to the pope

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-pope-francis/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M View Post
It sounds to me as if he is saying anyone looking for truth and justice is the devil!

It does sound like that alright.
OK the devil trying to uncover sins is obviously horrific and evil statement.

However why surprise at the Pope believing in the devil. I mean he believes in God which is about as logical as believing in the Devil. Frequently they are paired up and I would be surprised if the pope did not believe in the devil really!
Advertisement
20-09-2018, 10:15   #4000
Hotblack Desiato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChancer View Post
So the OPW have finally put a figure on those attending the Gig in the park,just under 152,000 including all those taking part eg choirs etc.
Total cost of the visit to the taxpayer was about €160 per person attending the Park or Knock.

A fcuking joke, at our expense...
(4) thanks from:
20-09-2018, 10:23   #4001
Zubeneschamali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy42 View Post
However why surprise at the Pope believing in the devil.
Catholicism is complicated.

Ordinary joe soaps in the church pews believe all sorts of nonsense about the power of prayer, holy water, the child of prague, Medjugore, secrets of Fatima, the BVM statue on the wall with the flickery electric bulb, on and on. There is even folk religion from pre-christian times still practiced, like tying tat to bushes at holy wells.

A Catholic theologian at a seminary will believe absolutely none of that. Not a feckin word. Yet it is nominally the same religion, and the hierarchy are careful not to step on the stupid beliefs of the ignorant where possible.

I am surprised that someone can rise to be Pope and still believe the simple-minded stuff like the Devil literally walking the Earth.
(2) thanks from:
20-09-2018, 10:34   #4002
Zebra3

Main thing is just to keep the money flowing in.
Thanks from:
20-09-2018, 10:35   #4003
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
OK the devil trying to uncover sins is obviously horrific and evil statement.

However why surprise at the Pope believing in the devil. I mean he believes in God which is about as logical as believing in the Devil. Frequently they are paired up and I would be surprised if the pope did not believe in the devil really!

you might think it is obvious but belief in the devil as an physical being is not a given. It is usually employed metaphorically. But the pope is a jesuit and they tend to do their own theological thing.
20-09-2018, 17:26   #4004
Christy42

Quote:
Quote:
However why surprise at the Pope believing in the devil.

Ordinary joe soaps in the church pews believe all sorts of nonsense about the power of prayer, holy water, the child of prague, Medjugore, secrets of Fatima, the BVM statue on the wall with the flickery electric bulb, on and on. There is even folk religion from pre-christian times still practiced, like tying tat to bushes at holy wells.

A Catholic theologian at a seminary will believe absolutely none of that. Not a feckin word. Yet it is nominally the same religion, and the hierarchy are careful not to step on the stupid beliefs of the ignorant where possible.

I am surprised that someone can rise to be Pope and still believe the simple-minded stuff like the Devil literally walking the Earth.
To be fair I would not call it simple minded. For me belief in God, the Devil, holy water etc. are about as logical as each other. Granted you may believe in some without the rest but the same leap of faith is required.

However I did not realise theologians had stopped going for Lucifer as as real as God so thank you for that tit bit.
21-09-2018, 08:34   #4005
realdanbreen

Quote:

Sounds like you were reared in a very strict/orthodox catholic environment.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion