Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

120GB SSD £22.99 on 7dayshop

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

ED E wrote: »
    The drive that is currently booted is always C:

Disk 1: Windows 8
    Disk 2: Windows 10 (Just examples)

When Windows 8 is booted D1 is C:, when W10 is booted D2 is C: The mountpoints are fluid (Same way a USB key can be F: in one PC and E: in the next).
    I should have opened this discussion with the attach screenshot of my current disc configuration with new SSD as "F" in Win 10. I had thought that there was an optimum SATA port on the MB for the boot drive.

So after I resize / reduce my "C" partition & clone with Macrium and swap boot order in Bios, will the SSD display as Disc 0 or does any of this actually matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

Mine arrived today (ordered 3/8 after they came back in to stock). Wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround after some of the stories of delays on here. Was in no rush to get it but really happy with the speedy delivery. Going to put it in an old work laptop & either gonna install Win 7 or a Linux distro (recommendations welcome) for home use.
    Thanks to the bromley52 for piquing my interest & Qwerty? for the notification they were back in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

curranbaz wrote: »
    Mine arrived today (ordered 3/8 after they came back in to stock). Wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround after some of the stories of delays on here. Was in no rush to get it but really happy with the speedy delivery. Going to put it in an old work laptop & either gonna install Win 7 or a Linux distro (recommendations welcome) for home use.
    Thanks to the bromley52 for piquing my interest & Qwerty? for the notification they were back in stock.

Linux Mint, have it on a 10 yr old laptop hooked up to tv, install kodi and chrome and your legal and "not".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Amazon do have the following for ~£25:

Kingston Technology SA400S37/120G SSD A400 120 GB Solid State Drive (2.5 Inch SATA 3)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6JQS8C

No idea how it compares
    Just bought this from Amazon France - they sent me the 240GB by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Just bought this from Amazon France - they sent me the 240GB by mistake

Lucky you! :) I imagine the packaging is very similar on the different capacity models.

I got mine from Amazon UK and got the 120GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

duridian wrote: »
    Lucky you! :) I imagine the packaging is very similar on the different capacity models.

I got mine from Amazon UK and got the 120GB.

I ordered another from amazon uk while they were out of stock , how long did it take to come i'm waiting nearly 2 weeks

mightyreds wrote: »
    I ordered another from amazon uk while they were out of stock , how long did it take to come i'm waiting nearly 2 weeks

I ordered from Amazon UK on the same evening that the bargain alert first appeared here for 7dayshop's offer.
    So that would be: ordered late on Sunday, 23rd of Jul, and received on Wednesday, August 8.

Bear in mind that I live out in the boonies, so it may have arrived a day or so earlier if I was in Dublin, as some others here were reporting on Monday that they got their 7dayshop order.

Personally, I believe that they are all coming form the same place, regardless of which retailer we buy from, as they seem to be be coming by some branch of the Swiss Post, as reported by several of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'll give it another week so then try recoup the money from amazon if possible

I'm about to swap over a PC running Windows 10 (free upgrade from Windows 8 after a few months) with 32gb M2 at present - any sort of guide I should follow available online? Where can I find my Windows product key to download to a USB to get it started back up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You'll have to do the update windows gives you. If you do a fresh install the product key most likely will not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I'm about to swap over a PC running Windows 10 (free upgrade from Windows 8 after a few months) with 32gb M2 at present - any sort of guide I should follow available online? Where can I find my Windows product key to download to a USB to get it started back up again?

Do you not have the license linked to your Microsoft account? I did a clean install when I switched my PC to an SSD and I didn't need a product key. After swapping in the SSD and installing Windows 10, I just signed in my Microsoft account which had the license and it activated no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its usually in the PC BIOS (hardware) itself these days.

FYI - 32gb M2 isn't big enough for a boot drive for windows 10.

Windows 10 latest update 1803 doesn't have enough room on a 32gb drive.
    Most people with 32gb drives have had to a fresh install from say a USB key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

OSCOO 120GB 2.5 Inch SATA3 SSD 540Mb/s Solid State Drive

Special Price €21.45

https://www.zapals.com/oscoo-120gb-2-5-inch-sata3-ssd-540mb-s-solid-state-drive.html

Don't know enough about SSD's to know whether this is decent or not, but it's selling cheaply :)

beauf wrote: »
    Its usually in the PC BIOS (hardware) itself these days.

FYI - 32gb M2 isn't big enough for a boot drive for windows 10.

Windows 10 latest update 1803 doesn't have enough room on a 32gb drive.
    Most people with 32gb drives have had to a fresh install from say a USB key.
    Thanks - yes that is why I am doing the upgrade, I bought the PC with 32gb but won't even really load with Windows 10 anymore. What size USB key do I need to create a boot drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I used 8gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I bought a few of these from 7DayShop on Ebay a few days ago and they arrived today, pretty quick service.

tryfix wrote: »
    OSCOO 120GB 2.5 Inch SATA3 SSD 540Mb/s Solid State Drive

Special Price €21.45

https://www.zapals.com/oscoo-120gb-2-5-inch-sata3-ssd-540mb-s-solid-state-drive.html

Don't know enough about SSD's to know whether this is decent or not, but it's selling cheaply :)

Neither the brand (who the heck are “Oscoo”? It sounds like some random Chinese thing.) or the retailer would inspire confidence in me.

I think you’d be mad to chance this thing over the likes of Adata or Kingston drives from more familiar retailers such as 7dayshop or Amazon as discussed all throughout this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

duridian wrote: »
    Neither the brand (who the heck are “Oscoo”? It sounds like some random Chinese thing.) or the retailer would inspire confidence in me.

I think you’d be mad to chance this thing over the likes of Adata or Kingston drives from more familiar retailers such as 7dayshop or Amazon as discussed all throughout this thread.

Amazon did sell Oscoo SSD's and the reviews look good. At that price range there's not too much risk. I find the Zapals site to be very reliable but delivery is usually 3 weeks or so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSCOO-Internal-2-5-Inch-III-Solid-State/dp/B071F5LY7X

The Kingston 120GB A400 is currently £18.99 (via code: id5mm) on Mymemory with free shipping

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/kingston-120gb-a400-ssd-2-5-inch-sata-3-solid-state-drive-500mb-s.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

The Kingston 120GB A400 is currently £18.99 (via code: id5mm) on Mymemory with free shipping

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/kingston-120gb-a400-ssd-2-5-inch-sata-3-solid-state-drive-500mb-s.html

Code has expired, but still excellent value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement