Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonoff WiFi Plug - €7.24 (using code) [Dressily]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

zep wrote: »
    Yeah I'm worried that someone might start switching my lamps on/off.. :)
    But seriously, what are the real concerns?

These devices are on your network with access granted to their servers via you signing up/in.

If its on your network then there is always a risk of a hack to other/all devices on the same network.

There is not just security/theft issues but privacy and data collection concerns.

I am coming from a once-bitten-twice-shy perspective after a certain model of I.P camera I was using was easily hacked, but thankfully white hat hackers communicated the vulnerability but not after showing everyone the type of control the hack had over the cameras themselves but also any other device(s) on the same network- pretty scary stuff tbf

sorry for going off thread and my last post in here about this. I will take it to a different thread if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

These devices are on your network with access granted to their servers via you signing up/in.

If its on your network then there is always a risk of a hack to other/all devices on the same network.

There is not just security/theft issues but privacy and data collection concerns.

Would that not apply equally to every other wifi device in your home?

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Would that not apply equally to every other wifi device in your home?

What other wifi devices on your home network are you granting full access to off shore servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Mr.S wrote: »
    Shame!

Shame!

Shame!

It was very late in the day, and then i was beaten to the punch in the morning.
    But yes the next time, i`ll be straight on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

What other wifi devices on your home network are you granting full access to off shore servers?

Am I missing part of the conversation, why have I granted full access to offshore servers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My one finally arrived today... and has been donated to the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IBrows89

Not sure if this has been answered, these only run of 2.4Ghz wifi, mine is 5.0Ghz. Whats the best/easiest way around this without causing too much hassle the WIFI connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭fdevine

IBrows89 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been answered, these only run of 2.4Ghz wifi, mine is 5.0Ghz. Whats the best/easiest way around this without causing too much hassle the WIFI connection?

Having the same problem as my Sky Hub runs in dual mode with 2.4 & 5 Ghz synchronised.

Haven't tried it yet but advice seems to be to unsync the two, temporarily switch off 5Ghz, connect sockets & reinstate 5Ghz.

If your router is 5Ghz only then you might need to feed a 2.4Ghz unit off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭matchthis

I have sky also and found that if you plug it in beside the router it will setup after about 3 attempts. Found a piece online about a guy trying to set up a 2.4ghz security camera and had the same issue. This was recommended and worked for him too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I had to move out of range of the 5ghz network as my BT whole home devices don't allow you to turn off the 5ghz band (the 2.4ghz band will travel far further). After setup outside of the range, I was able to move them back into range and they continued to work perfectly.
    Quick and easy fix...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

two of mine won't pair. They just hang. The other 7 are fine. Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

rom wrote: »
    two of mine won't pair. They just hang. The other 7 are fine. Anyone else have this issue?

I couldn’t do 2 either but used the “compatible pairing mode” and they worked.

Plug it in and hold pier button for 5 ( or 7) seconds - until it starts flashing.
    Release.
    Hold the button in again for about the same time. Lights change again. Unit is now after setting up its own hotspot.
    On your phone connect to the wi-fi hotspot. Password is 12345678.
    Open app and add new device.
    Click on the “compatible pairing mode” link near the bottom of the page and follow instructions.

I also had to turn off auto join on my home wi-fi until I was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Got my one today but cannot set it up, don't get a green flashing light only red,right next to modem.
    Could not register the app don't know if you have too,
    login in fail wrong account or password.
    done twice now.

ok ,done it ,works can turn lamp off and on, must say emailed my problem and got a reply back straight away, now what else can i do ,is there a timer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

SCOOP 64 wrote:
    ok ,done it ,works can turn lamp off and on, must say emailed my problem and got a reply back straight away, now what else can i do ,is there a timer?

Yes...i have setup timers on both switches...click switch on app and u shud have 'schedule' where u can set timer...

Was think of ordering 2 more, code seems to work , but now asking for £2.41 delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Was think of ordering 2 more, code seems to work , but now asking for £2.41 delivery.

Still a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Anyone else find that when you open the app on your phone and hit a switch to turn on a light or whatever, you get a no connection message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Be careful if reusing the code

I was charged twice the amount showing on the final payment page along with others here.

This company are worse than gearbest to deal with .

I got refunded the overcharge by PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

I've read the thread and scoured YouTube but no joy.

Has anyone gotten these to work with Google Assistant on their phone WITHOUT having a Google Home device ?

Running Android 8.0 on an S7, not seeing "Home Control" or the option to add devices anywhere in the Google Assistant settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

long_b wrote: »
    I've read the thread and scoured YouTube but no joy.

Has anyone gotten these to work with Google Assistant on their phone WITHOUT having a Google Home device ?

Running Android 8.0 on an S7, not seeing "Home Control" or the option to add devices anywhere in the Google Assistant settings.

Have you followed the instructions I posted earlier? Failing try asking Google to open settings-home control

wiz569 wrote: »
    Have you followed the instructions I posted earlier? Failing try asking Google to open settings-home control

Reckon so.
    Am I supposed to see Home Control somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Reckon so.
    Am I supposed to see Home Control somewhere?

Hmm should be there in services below music, have you tried installing Google home app first then doing the steps again?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Hmm should be there in services below music, have you tried installing Google home app first then doing the steps again?

Thanks for that.
    I've reinstalled the Google Home app alright, no joy.
    There was a suggestion to change the language to English (US) but that didn't make the option appear either.

Thanks for that.
    I've reinstalled the Google Home app alright, no joy.
    There was a suggestion to change the language to English (US) but that didn't make the option appear either.

this help?

taken from here: https://www.techwalls.com/home-control-missing-google-home-app/

I don't have the same button on the right hand side

Got 2 more for €14.73 , total amount seem correct,confirmed by email from Paypal, discount code +157 D points to get it for this amount, this included the delivery charge of £2.41.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Ordered the 16 Aug and still nothing delivered - wouldnt want to be paranoid:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭sioda

August 16 as well and no sign. If not here by end if next week I'll start to chase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

somebody save me from these things, read the replies but still cant understand why they wont pair

Thanks
    W.

Advertisement