Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changes to Boards.ie Ltd. company structure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Boards.ie: Sean

Since a lot of this is about ad revenue and making a business profitable (which makes sense) I have a concern, thejournal.ie is renowned for moderating to advertisers concerns and comments derogatory of brands advertising on the site or opinions that go against the brands 'social image' are often removed. Considering you will likely be featuring ads from the same brands and businesses can you guarantee that boards.ie bending rules to suit advertisers will not become an issue ?
    One of the regular conversations we have with advertisers is that if they advertise on Boards they need to understand that the power of the platform comes from the fact that it is driven by our users and that means that at times the content won't always be what they'd like to see (this is what I meant when I said it would be much easier to sell advertising if this wasn't the case, some advertisers get a bit scared by that and decide not to book with us). However, we are firm on that line, we haven't compromised on that principle to date, nor will we.

The rules we have around advertising will remain the same.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Any chance that Sean lad could come back to answer some more questions put to him?

Here I am ...
    kneemos wrote: »
    The drop in revenue is presumably due to the drop in usage. If what you're doing isn't working maybe a change is needed?

That is not the case and in terms of drop in usage, is factually incorrect. Since 2014 the number of page views has remained steady (with some natural variations up and down month on month) and the number of sessions has increased. And in terms of advertising the number of page views is critical (the more page views the more ad impressions and the more display ad revenue; the more page views, the higher traffic to the site, the easier to sell sponsored content). The pressure on revenue is not due to a drop in usage but a change in how advertisers are buying online (as outlined in my previous posts in this thread).
    kneemos wrote: »
    Needs new management anyway. The current lot are obviously making a balls of it

Fair enough, some people might have different views on that but who am I to say who's right and who's wrong :)

But, in a move that might make at least some of the posters to this thread happy, now might be a good time to mention my own role in Boards.

I joined Boards in August 2014 and over the last four years have been privileged to work with an incredible community and team here in the office. However, with the upcoming integration I feel now is good time for me to hand over the baton and move on to some new challenges.

Although I’ll be winding down my time with the company over the coming weeks and months, I’m very excited about the opportunities that working with Journal Media will bring and fully believe that this is the right move for the site. The fact that all the team will be part of the move and that they will continue to focus on Boards gives me a lot of confidence, along with the fact they are joined by a really top notch management team in Journal Media.

Looking back I know that we (and particularly I) haven’t always got every decision right. Having said that we always did what we felt was in the best long term interests of the site and I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved over the last 4 years, something which could only have been done with the fantastic (and if I’m allowed to say, often underappreciated!) team of staff, admins and mods here on the site. We also couldn’t have achieved what we did without the support and input of the community and on a personal level I’d like to say a big thanks to all those Boardsies who took the time to let me know exactly how they felt on the various feedback threads over the years (including this thread and including the users quoted in this post :)). I have to say I found the feedback to be passionate, challenging and robust (at times very robust!) but in the vast of majority of cases to be reasonable, thoughtful and fair and for that I’m very appreciative.

Thanks again,

Sean Coughlan,
    CEO, Boards.ie

ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Whats the breakdown of boards.ie ownership? Just curious who actually owns how much anymore!

Today more than 90 % of Boards.ie is owned by Distilled Media Group Ltd. (DMGL) with the remainder owned by some of the original founders. The majority owners of DMGL are also the majority owners of The Journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

However, with the upcoming integration I feel now is good time for me to hand over the baton and move on to some new challenges.
    First of all I would thank you for your time and commitment here. I think you got off on the wrong footing a little regarding interaction with mods but you obviously learned from that. I wish you well in your ventures. :)

But the obvious question that now needs answered....are you the first casualty of this "merger"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I joined Boards in August 2014 and over the last four years have been privileged to work with an incredible community and team here in the office. However, with the upcoming integration I feel now is good time for me to hand over the baton and move on to some new challenges.

Although I’ll be winding down my time with the company over the coming weeks and months

Wait? So new ownership is coming which has people sceptical and the CEO is jumping ship?......lads........lads.......LADS!

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    Genuine question - why are you still here?

Admin: Please don't post in the thread again.

Did an admin go all admin on another admin?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sexmag wrote: »
    Wait? So new ownership is coming which has people sceptical and the CEO is jumping ship?......lads........lads.......LADS!
    A combined business does not require two CEOs

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did an admin go all admin on another admin?
    No the Admin making the post was instructing the user he quoted. Now mod/Admin actions/instructions are not for discussion here

Beasty wrote: »

So the head of boards is leaving to allow the head of the journal to take over and that shouldn't be a worrying issue?

In hindsight then it isn't a merger it's an acquisition which are two quite different things that have different outcomes for those employed there but it's none of my business to be honest and wish all those the best outcome for them
    No the Admin making the post was instructing the user he quoted. Now mod/Admin actions/instructions are not for discussion here

That makes no sense, why quote the poster,ask a question and then ban them from replying? Is the question rhetorical?

See this is the troublesome problems people have with some mods and admins, is there any type of training to be a mod or admin?

I know you said not to ask but it is directly in relation to the post we are discussing so I feel it's valid and I may never get to have the CEO be notified I asked a question again So I would like to take this opportunity while I have it

That makes no sense, why quote the poster,ask a question and then ban them from replying? Is the question rhetorical?

See this is the troublesome problems people have with some mods and admins, is there any type of training to be a mod or admin?

I know you said not to ask but it is directly in relation to the post we are discussing so I feel it's valid and I may never get to have the CEO be notified I asked a question again So I would like to take this opportunity while I have it
    It makes perfect sense to me. The question was rhetorical, and the instruction was clear. Regardless this has nothing to do with the Boards company structure announcement so please leave it there

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

So the head of boards is leaving to allow the head of the journal to take over and that shouldn't be a worrying issue?

In hindsight then it isn't a merger it's an acquisition which are two quite different things that have different outcomes for those employed there but it's none of my business to be honest and wish all those the best outcome for them

Sean explained earlier in the thread that it is a merger by acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

As though the new boss will give no instructions to his new staff whatsoever.

As if.

Changes will be coming, will have to wait and see how she goes.

Seans influence will be waning by the minute, and his assurances mean nothing when he's no longer involved.

Any chance mods/admins, that we can hear from the new boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pity, The Journal like After Hours here is dominated by the far right.

I assume you are talking about the comments section on the Journal?

Because the editorial slant on their "reporting" and opinion pieces is to the left of An Phoblacht

muffler wrote: »
    First of all I would thank you for your time and commitment here. I think you got off on the wrong footing a little regarding interaction with mods but you obviously learned from that. I wish you well in your ventures. :)

Thanks, I appreciate the good wishes!
    But the obvious question that now needs answered....are you the first casualty of this "merger"?

No, I am not a 'casualty' and no, I am not jumping ship.

If a decision was made to merge Boards and Journal Media without the CEO's knowledge or against the CEO's advice or wishes, then the situation would be different and in that case would be a valid cause for concern IMHO.

However, in this case I recommended that we proceed along this path because, in my honest and considered opinion, it is in the best long term interests of Boards and our community. Otherwise I had real concerns for the sustainability of the business. And for me (and for others including, as already seen in this thread, one of the founders of the site, DeVore) that was the most important factor - making sure that Boards continues to provide the platform for our community of users in the future that it does now.

As Beasty says, in a merger situation you have two companies with two CEO's becoming one company with one CEO. Of course one CEO will either have to go or move to another, non CEO, role in the merged company.

I made the recommendation to merge fully aware that one of the implications would be that my position, as CEO of Boards, would disappear. But I still made the recommendation, not because I wanted to jump a sinking ship but because I firmly believed it was in the best interests of Boards. And I believe that in my job as CEO my primary role is to act in the best interests of Boards.

In summary, I am fine with the decision and and because the decision was mine I don't in any way feel like a casualty or that I'm abandoning a sinking ship :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I can't see how theJournal crew can dictate or influence things tbh. Looks to me, on taking it at face value, the acquisition makes perfect sense for the advertising side of things. Two small fish, or one big fish in that big pond of advertisers? But other than that, I can't see how much else can change. That's not even a change anybody on the front end would notice.

If this was all done quietly, without the fan fare, nobody would notice the difference 5 years from now either, I suspect.

Any change to Boards.ie company structure over the years was met with skepticism and conspiracy. Boards.ie got quieter, but not much else changed. The former I think is due to change in online attitudes and communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I have to laugh, over the years there has always been negative reaction to any change, even one poster earlier in this thread exclaiming it will make them think twice about starting threads, then you look at the previous threads they started (just to see what they have added to the site) and nearly every thread started was seeking advice. Take take take...

Boards has been an invaluable resource over the years and will continue to be. Good luck in your future endeavours Sean and I'm sure in the grand scheme of things we the users will notice no difference after the merger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Sully wrote: »

Any change to Boards.ie company structure over the years was met with skepticism and conspiracy.

The last few times ownership/structure changed we had threads with users trying to figure out what had changed, I remember cuz I was thinking why they can't even answer a simple fecking question when the topic came up in Feedback.

(just to see what they have added to the site) and nearly every thread started was seeking advice. Take take take...
    That's what pretty much every thread is??

You need to go through all posts if you want to look up what you're after.

Kuva wrote: »
    The last few times ownership/structure changed we had threads with users trying to figure out what had changed, I remember cuz I was thinking why they can't even answer a simple fecking question when the topic came up in Feedback.

And in terms of user experience, what changes do you think happened as a result of those ownership changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Good luck for the future Sean, I’m sure you’ll land very nicely on your feet somewhere.

And the good ship Boards keeps sailing on......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ah that explains the pm I got last night putting me on a 3 month probation for a few yellow cards.
    In over 13 years first time ever and obviously this is being driven by the new owners.
    The journal is a piece of crap news site which is heavily cracking down on any comments opening them to liabilitiy and distorting the truth. But of course any potential clickbait articles are left open.
    Basically this will be the end of boards as we know it.
    Most users will start migrating to reddit etc after this.
    How long do you think Denis O’Brien posts will be left open.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Blazer wrote: »
    Ah that explains the pm I got last night putting me on a 3 month probation for a few yellow cards.
    In over 13 years first time ever and obviously this is being driven by the new owners.

FYI - placing posters on probation has been a standard practice for yonks. It just never happened to you before.
    How long do you think Denis O’Brien posts will be left open.

Seriously? That's a bit tinfoil hat, non?

dudara wrote: »
    FYI - placing posters on probation has been a standard practice for yonks. It just never happened to you before.

Maybe.
    But I’ve seen how boards has changed over the last 13 years and there’s definitely a downhill movement as regards users /post quality etc.
    Whether that’s also as a result of a lot more people have come online and giving an online public voice to stupid people is entirely possible.
    One thing I do know is the journal site has gone downhill in the last few years after it was taken over. Any real journalist who was there in the past has basically been replaced by graduates who can barely read or write or proof read their copy/paste articles.
    Not only that but the journal run in fear of DOB’s lawyers and any negative mention of him is swiftly deleted and thread closed.
    Articles such as the recent Cash one and the Muslim brotherhood guy arrested in Egypt are left open for the comments acting as a clickbait article.
    When I asked a relation who works with the journal their attitude was they were not going to risk any potential libel cases for fearing of losing them so easiest way was close down all discussion.
    They neglected to comment on the significant lack of real journalists there.
    So what do you think will happen when a potentially libelous thread on DOB pops up on after hours??
    So when Sean says nothing it going to change ..that’s bull****.
    Every single change regarding a manager/director/owner always involves change no matter what the business is.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Snipped a couple of off-topic posts. Please keep feedback and comments to the matter of the change in company structure, thanks.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

dudara wrote: »

Here's how tinfoil hat it is.... we haven't even signed the papers for the first stage of the merger yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

DeVore wrote: »
    Here's how tinfoil hat it is.... we haven't even signed the papers for the first stage of the merger yet. :)

Lol, ah the Feedback forum, never change :D (actually do)

It’s amazing how the posters for this are all fairly recent accounts , Max 3 years old.
    But those of us with accounts over 10 years plus who have seen the changes before and the usual old chestnut “nothing will change” and experienced them on the site are dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It’s amazing how the posters for this are all fairly recent accounts , Max 3 years old.
    But those of us with accounts over 10 years plus who have seen the changes before and the usual old chestnut “nothing will change” and experienced them on the site are dismissed.
    so what changed in the past and what changes do you anticipate going forward?

Oh, I'm here more than 3 years

so what changed in the past and what changes do you anticipate going forward?

Oh, I'm here more than 3 years

I’m suppose the main fear is that Boards will start locking any potentially libelous threads for fear of getting sued. It happens with the journal when it was taken over and now the same people will be over boards in complete control.

• Advertisement

You're here long enough to know reg date means nothing.

Advertisement