Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-08-2018, 16:41   #9451
Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy
Registered User
 
Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaten View Post
I just dislike how much thickness cases add even them slim ones. Plus I have an oled Vita and there aren't many cases. Maybe I should just get a second vita I don't care about getting damaged.
I guess? Pretty expensive option imo.
I got a set like this https://www.bigbeninteractive.com/bi...al-pack-psvita
It's not a small handheld so it'll be a bit extra bulky, can't have it all ways, I dunno what other ideas to give, sorry. Hope you get sorted with something that suits
Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 21:52   #9452
DaveyDave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,050
Any advice for Stepdown converters? Specifically with Saturn or Dreamcast in mind
DaveyDave is offline  
10-08-2018, 07:40   #9453
Inviere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Any advice for Stepdown converters? Specifically with Saturn or Dreamcast in mind
For those two consoles, it’s super easy to swap out the internal psu for a European one, and then no stepdown needed. You just need to make sure you’re swapping like for like, as there’s slight differences between revisions iirc.
Inviere is offline  
10-08-2018, 10:27   #9454
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator
 
CiDeRmAn's Avatar
What's the best value in a consolized MVS system out there?
CiDeRmAn is offline  
10-08-2018, 11:44   #9455
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 27,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
What's the best value in a consolized MVS system out there?
Wasn't there a whole new slew of them turning up on Aliexpress for a good bit cheaper than the usual?
o1s1n is offline  
Advertisement
10-08-2018, 11:49   #9456
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 27,842
Hmmm, had a look but can't seem to see any. There was definitely discussion about it at the beginning of this year - oooh found a review video;

https://www.reddit.com/r/neogeo/comm..._china_review/
o1s1n is offline  
10-08-2018, 12:13   #9457
eddhorse
Registered User
 
eddhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
Hmmm, had a look but can't seem to see any. There was definitely discussion about it at the beginning of this year - oooh found a review video;

https://www.reddit.com/r/neogeo/comm..._china_review/

https://youtu.be/9VuYtFnz04A

Neo Geo MVS-1C $228
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...311.0.0.Br1JVs







MVS 161 in 1 Cart $69
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SNK-...311.0.0.Br1JVs

EDIT : Apparently there are some voltage issue with OSSC and Framemeister.

Last edited by eddhorse; 10-08-2018 at 12:22.
eddhorse is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-08-2018, 13:26   #9458
80s Synth Pop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
For those two consoles, it’s super easy to swap out the internal psu for a European one, and then no stepdown needed. You just need to make sure you’re swapping like for like, as there’s slight differences between revisions iirc.



Yes swapping the PSU internally is the best option if possible. You can look a the new low heat PSUs available here soon for both Dreamcast and Saturn:


https://www.retropsu.com
80s Synth Pop is offline  
10-08-2018, 13:27   #9459
DaveyDave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
For those two consoles, it’s super easy to swap out the internal psu for a European one, and then no stepdown needed. You just need to make sure you’re swapping like for like, as there’s slight differences between revisions iirc.
That's far too much effort for me Probably easier to get a step down rather than a donor console?
DaveyDave is offline  
Advertisement
10-08-2018, 13:44   #9460
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator
 
CiDeRmAn's Avatar
All you will need to do is open it with a screwdriver, then never worry about plugging it into the wrong outlet again.
Admittedly it's not as easy as swapping an N64 powersupply, but it's not far off.
CiDeRmAn is offline  
10-08-2018, 14:11   #9461
Inviere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
That's far too much effort for me Probably easier to get a step down rather than a donor console?
It’s stupidly easy. They’re held in by two screws, and a simple plug connector. No donor consoles required if the above linked site is selling drop in replacements
Inviere is offline  
10-08-2018, 19:37   #9462
DaveyDave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,050
Here's some examples of the questionable eBay listings I've seen...

Sonic Adventure 2: £56
Shenmue II: £97
Dreamcast Fishing Controller: £233
Dreamcast Arcade Stick: £170
Dreamcast Box: £80+

Smaller stuff such as boxed keyboard, mouse, VMU etc all went overprived. Oh well, guess I'll go elsewhere for some boxed goodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
It’s stupidly easy. They’re held in by two screws, and a simple plug connector. No donor consoles required if the above linked site is selling drop in replacements
It's about €95 for both PSUs, that's a tad pricey for something I don't really need. Not sure if a stepdown converter would be cheap as I'm not familiar. Sure I've an Action Replay on the way for the Saturn, I'll just try another boot disc for the Dreamcast since it's not loading HotD2. Other than that I don't need it, was just curious if I could easily run NTSC-J consoles
DaveyDave is offline  
10-08-2018, 20:46   #9463
The Last Bandit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,126
A step down like this is perfectly fine for the those consoles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Step-Down-C...220v+step+down

Those new PSU replacements do seem expensive seeing as they're require a 12V input (not supplied) so basically just a couple of voltage regulators on a suitable pcb.
The Last Bandit is offline  
Thanks from:
10-08-2018, 23:29   #9464
Cake of Tremendous Power
Registered User
 
Cake of Tremendous Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Here's some examples of the questionable eBay listings I've seen...


Dreamcast Fishing Controller: £233
That must be some rod.
Cake of Tremendous Power is offline  
(2) thanks from:
11-08-2018, 08:32   #9465
Inviere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
Those new PSU replacements do seem expensive seeing as they're require a 12V input (not supplied) so basically just a couple of voltage regulators on a suitable pcb.
Ugh, what’s the point of them? Bit of Clockwork Knight while stuck in traffic on the M50?
Inviere is offline  
Thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search