Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-08-2018, 15:22   #46
Thatnastyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pennymixup View Post
I'm all for free living and thinking outside the box or whatever expression you prefer, each to their own. But when done it should be done properly.

Insured as a commercial yet used for private purposes, unprofessional conversion and log book not marked as a campervan/motorhome. How legit is your insurance policy? Do they even know you've modified it?

What happens if you crash into me looking around for your late night covert parking spot, or your gas installation leaks and blows destroying my property that you parked beside (hopefully you're not in the van, genuinely)?

You'll still be indemnified by his insurance if he hits you/damages your property or even blows up your garden furniture

However, he will possibly be open to being pursued by the insurance co. for the costs to pay you, but that would be between him and them..
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-08-2018, 15:27   #47
Graces7

Thank you for this thread;, so good to know folk are thinking and acting like this.
(2) thanks from:
10-08-2018, 15:38   #48
10pennymixup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatnastyboy View Post
You'll still be indemnified by his insurance if he hits you/damages your property or even blows up your garden furniture

However, he will possibly be open to being pursued by the insurance co. for the costs to pay you, but that would be between him and them..
Even if he hasn't informed the insurance company of the modifications? Never mind having them certified and passing a CRW. Surely that would nullify any policy and you'd be let chasing him personally?

Would it not be like some young yahoo knowingly insuring an illegally modified car as a bog standard car, after lowering the suspension, fitting over sized tyres that rub the arch, tint the windows to near black out, remove the small engine and fit some nitro fueled monster etc Basically turn it in to a non roadworthy death trap.

I would be delighted to hear the fraudulently obtained policy would still cover the yob, but surprised. I thought you'd have to go down the route of the MIBI.

Last edited by 10pennymixup; 10-08-2018 at 15:55.
10-08-2018, 15:57   #49
Thatnastyboy

Quote:
Even if he hasn't informed the insurance company of the modifications? Never mind having them certified and passing a CRW. Surely that would nullify any policy and you'd be let chasing him personally?

Would it not be like some young yahoo knowingly insuring an illegally modified car as a bog standard car, after lowering the suspension, fitting over sized tyres that rub the arch, tint the windows to near black out, remove the small engine and fit some nitro fueled monster etc Basically turn it in to a non roadworthy death trap.

I would be delighted to hear the fraudulently obtained policy would still cover the yob, but surprised.

It still covers the 3rd party yes, all that other shyte you mention - also yes, the 3rd party is still covered.

The guy who took out the policy will have a problem alright. but not the 3rd party.

i.e. the 3rd party (you) are still covered by his insurance, whether he has lied/not practised good faith/not disclosed etc. etc.

Now if he had no insurance policy at all, your gripe would be real, but he has one, so no gripe required.
(3) thanks from:
10-08-2018, 16:02   #50
BarryD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDeckard View Post
Been living in my van for a year. Nobody at work knows.....

Maintain your social life in the evenings - so you are not in van all the time.
How do you manage this? Work colleagues, social friends must all surely ask where you live from time to time. Do you just make something up?

Don't see anything particularly odd with it, after all some people travel in camper vans for months on end. I'd have thought though that a permanent arrangement with someone to park up would take the daily hassle out of it?
Advertisement
10-08-2018, 16:14   #51
10pennymixup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatnastyboy View Post
It still covers the 3rd party yes, all that other shyte you mention - also yes, the 3rd party is still covered.

The guy who took out the policy will have a problem alright. but not the 3rd party.

i.e. the 3rd party (you) are still covered by his insurance, whether he has lied/not practised good faith/not disclosed etc. etc.

Now if he had no insurance policy at all, your gripe would be real, but he has one, so no gripe required.
According to your logic a disqualified driver can purchase a 3rd party policy and be insured. They're not, when caught they get done for driving without insurance. In the case of an accident the 3rd party claims of the MIBI.

Buying a insurance policy doesn't mean you're insured and like most right minded people deliberately driving whilst not insured is a justifiable gripe. Don't going using the fact that I can get recompense off the MIBI in case of a claim as a just reason for illegal off grid living.

Get a CRW for a properly certified campervan and proper insurance and park where it is legal, legally disposing of your "shyte" etc, and I don't have a gripe.

Last edited by 10pennymixup; 10-08-2018 at 16:43.
10-08-2018, 16:55   #52
NewCorkLad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDeckard View Post
Yes, its possible.

I work in Cork, a full time professional in a good status job and live in a van.

Been living in my van for a year. Nobody at work knows.

Brilliant, love this.
(2) thanks from:
10-08-2018, 17:15   #53
Harry Palmr

What happens when/if you fall in love? Hope he/she has a house?

Sounds pretty isolating to be honest, at some point you'll want to drop anchor.
Thanks from:
10-08-2018, 17:51   #54
kceire

Quote:

I would be delighted to hear the fraudulently obtained policy would still cover the yob, but surprised. I thought you'd have to go down the route of the MIBI.
Yes, even if he lied through his teeth, third parties are still covered. The insurance company can choose to take a civil case against the insured then to recover their losses.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-08-2018, 17:52   #55
kceire

Quote:
According to your logic a disqualified driver can purchase a 3rd party policy and be insured. They're not, when caught they get done for driving without insurance. In the case of an accident the 3rd party claims of the MIBI.

Buying a insurance policy doesn't mean you're insured and like most right minded people deliberately driving whilst not insured is a justifiable gripe. Don't going using the fact that I can get recompense off the MIBI in case of a claim as a just reason for illegal off grid living.

Get a CRW for a properly certified campervan and proper insurance and park where it is legal, legally disposing of your "shyte" etc, and I don't have a gripe.
Third parties will still be insured where there is a policy in place. The MIBI fund is for uninsured claims.
10-08-2018, 18:13   #56
RickDeckard

Windows - 2 of these :

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk...0-crystal.html

One with fan, one without.

I only plan to do this for a few years until I have monesy saved.

Paperwork - Its started out as a commercial van, Ive passed CVRT with as it is now.

Once I finish a bit of work on a few weeks, it will be fully registered to a camper van. The work I have to get done is to fulfill the legal requirement for re-reg.

Then I get camper van insurance. I have a small car as a 'primary vehicle'.

Yes, I will be in the camper van full time under the camper v
an insurance, you are not supposed to daily drive a campervan.

But that's the worst thing against the Irish state in what I am doing.

The goverment's policy pushed me into this , I want to be a 100% legal, covered and safe and legit as I can possibly be , but I'm in a grey area, and frankly this is survival.

To each their own, not everybody thinks the same and solves problems the same way.

Romance - If someone does not under stand where I am coming from on this then we would not click.

If /when I meet a nice person, for sure I'd share a gaff, if we could rent at affordable rate some whrere.

This is about me giving myself a competitive advantage in life at this time in my life, because no other fukk#r will give it to me, will they?
10-08-2018, 19:19   #57
StupidLikeAFox

You will surely need a side window to pass the SQI inspection and have revenue accept the conversion?
Thanks from:
10-08-2018, 19:30   #58
pc7

RickDeckard what a cool read, fair play to you. Best of luck saving.
(2) thanks from:
10-08-2018, 19:48   #59
RickDeckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidLikeAFox View Post
You will surely need a side window to pass the SQI inspection and have revenue accept the conversion?

Ive heard both ways, Even if I have to put in a little side window, that's no problem.
Thanks from:
10-08-2018, 19:50   #60
RickDeckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD2 View Post
How do you manage this? Work colleagues, social friends must all surely ask where you live from time to time. Do you just make something up?

Don't see anything particularly odd with it, after all some people travel in camper vans for months on end. I'd have thought though that a permanent arrangement with someone to park up would take the daily hassle out of it?

I'm self employed contractor so I can remain quite private at work, of course friends know, as its all I talk about. I keep a fairly tight line on private life v work life anyway. I don't find its an issue, I just mention town X where I lived before.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion