Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-08-2018, 17:02   #76
meeeeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ....... View Post
People should not allow their children to bother others.

I can remember being driven around for hours at night when I had whooping cough as a child so that my relentless coughing wouldnt bother the neighbours who had to get up for work.
Well I am glad I was not brought up by your parents. Btw what would be the solution if you had bed ridden adult that couldn't be moved and they started coughing.

There are kids and adults who make too much noise but when building standards are so bad walking makes unbreable noise then you have a problem.

Last edited by meeeeh; 09-08-2018 at 17:05.
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 18:23   #77
Browney7

Quote:
People should not allow their children to bother others.

I can remember being driven around for hours at night when I had whooping cough as a child so that my relentless coughing wouldnt bother the neighbours who had to get up for work.
Your parents sound like responsible upstanding adults driving around a sick child for fear of annoying the neighbours.... Or else this is total crap? Hard to tell...
Thanks from:
09-08-2018, 21:38   #78
the_syco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonker View Post
The problem is the child is constantly running around making noise like someone is hammering in nails
I'm assuming wooden floors? If so, check are you allowed to have wooden floors.
10-08-2018, 09:48   #79
Caliden

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeeh View Post
Well I am glad I was not brought up by your parents. Btw what would be the solution if you had bed ridden adult that couldn't be moved and they started coughing.

There are kids and adults who make too much noise but when building standards are so bad walking makes unbreable noise then you have a problem.
Mine did the same and we lived in a detached house.

Sometimes babies just won't settle and taking them for a drive can help.
10-08-2018, 11:45   #80
lawred2

Quote:
If it had bothered the neighbours? Absolutely.

Children had to respect adults when I was growing up.
Advertisement
10-08-2018, 13:16   #81
Klonker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
Quote:
The problem is the child is constantly running around making noise like someone is hammering in nails
I'm assuming wooden floors? If so, check are you allowed to have wooden floors.
I think wooden floors are allowed but states that correct action needs to be taken to minimize sound. Basically means the correct underlay needs to be used and a minimum floor thickness but I don't think this is the case because the sound is very loud that I just can't believe that they put proper floors. I get it hard to believe the building quality is that bad.

Anyway I've raised with management company so I will see what will happen.
10-08-2018, 13:29   #82
keeffo2005

I have neighbours who are renting. Looks like the landlord stuck an old front door where the back door should be.

Literally shakes the cutlery stand when they slam the door. Doesn't help when they don't appear to work and this goes on even at 1am.

Rather than stress i am actually going to try to sound proof as much as possible. i did say it to them and even suggested just getting those rubber strips (about €5) which would make a difference but no, nothing done. Its more the landlord who stuck a crap door on i blame, tenants a lot of times don't care and bang doors. As much i dont agree with a lot of the PRTB, certain codes such as satisfactory flooring, front and rear doors should be created and regulated as it does disturb the peace. I actually did think if there was a fire a child couldn't open the front or rear door.

Anyway my plan is to soundproof efficiently to minimise the noise and vibrations as it will continue to the next tenancy and i don't want to live in discomfort or get in the mode of fighting fire with fire.
10-08-2018, 13:31   #83
Klonker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeffo2005 View Post
I have neighbours who are renting. Looks like the landlord stuck an old front door where the back door should be.

Literally shakes the cutlery stand when they slam the door. Doesn't help when they don't appear to work and this goes on even at 1am.

Rather than stress i am actually going to try to sound proof as much as possible. i did say it to them and even suggested just getting those rubber strips (about €5) which would make a difference but no, nothing done. Its more the landlord who stuck a crap door on i blame, tenants a lot of times don't care and bang doors. As much i dont agree with a lot of the PRTB, certain codes such as satisfactory flooring, front and rear doors should be created and regulated as it does disturb the peace. I actually did think if there was a fire a child couldn't open the front or rear door.

Anyway my plan is to soundproof efficiently to minimise the noise and vibrations as it will continue to the next tenancy and i don't want to live in discomfort or get in the mode of fighting fire with fire.
Just curious as to how you plan to sound proof?
10-08-2018, 14:05   #84
keeffo2005

Quote:
Just curious as to how you plan to sound proof?
Still researching it.

A builder friend said to install kingspan insulated plaster obards, about 80-100mm on the party wall. Not sure will this work though as i have read insulation is completely different from sound proofing.

I have been researching that the sound needs to be absorbed so seeing maybe if you can get sound absorbing pictures.

I am half way through installing carpets in the upstairs room with good underlay. Will need to look at the quality of the windows as well.

From reading up soundproofing is fairly scientific, even cracks or mortar loosening can allow paths for sound.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-08-2018, 15:37   #85
April 73

A friend of mine was faced with either moving house or soundproofing her semi-d. She went with professional soundproofing - it cost €10k but meant she could live in her house.

I’ve read threads similiar to this before on here. It isn’t the noise of a toddler’s footsteps per se - when soundproofing isn’t done correctly - then sound can be amplified in the downstairs or adjoining property. What sounds like toddler’s footsteps in one property can be amplified so much in the adjacent property that it sounds like elephants dancing. Constant noise intrusion into your home is upsetting.
(2) thanks from:
10-08-2018, 18:18   #86
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by April 73
A friend of mine was faced with either moving house or soundproofing her semi-d. She went with professional soundproofing - it cost €10k but meant she could live in her house.

Wow. 10k must have hurt. Hope life is better now

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion