I was a commuter with Irish Rail in Cork area before I moved abroad and felt the service was near perfect. Returned this week and travelled Cork/Dublin and the journey was prefect. Even filled out a survey. Fast forward 24 hours and the appalling service on my Dublin/Waterford trip.
New festival happening which is attracting around 20,000 and what I can only describe lack of planning compounded by the ridiculous new ticketing policy. Trains heavily loaded all day with passengers unable to board 15.10. I booked 16.15 and there was no reservations working so had to strand hour and half. Make things worse sudden line congestion caused delays up to 30 minutes. Other people in our group on 16.40 almost missed last shuttle bus because of delays. Not a shred of extra capacity added unlike Galway races. No staff assisting passengers with booking and no restrictions or priority given to passengers with actual reservations for specific services.
Will be returning on Monday but yet again reduced service and all services sold out between 08.00-18.00, no ticketing restrictions put in place and will unlikely get a seat again.
There was a other visitors on the service and most couldn't beleive what was happening.
Twitter suggests same problems today as well
So a few Qs:
1. Reservations not displaying why?
2. Did Irish Rail not know about such an event. Poor forum if so.
3. Why were standard ticketing restrictions not put in place and why were they not monitoring online traffic?
4. They are well aware what happened yesterday and today and have no plan for tomorrow and Monday
5. My refund do I need to prove I was forced to stand?