Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-07-2018, 16:32   #1
upw
Registered User
 
upw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Property management companies

Hello,

Looking for recommendations of the property management companies around Balbriggan area. There are around 10 apartments in block and would like to change a company which is looking after building and surround area, as we are not very happy with current service.

Thank you very much!
upw is offline  
Advertisement
15-07-2018, 11:09   #2
Edgware
Registered User
 
Edgware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,416
I wont give a recommendation but I will say that a ten apartment complex should not be too difficult to manage.
Have you considered managing it yourselves?
There is a bit of work in the early stages but once good practices are put in place it works fine. It does need cooperation of all owners and there can be issues with landlords who are only interested in rent
Edgware is offline  
15-07-2018, 16:31   #3
GalwayGaillimh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 342
All you need is block insurance and refuse removal after that its all cosmetic i.e. cleaning common areas...
Save yourself getting fleeced by a managing agent and do it yourselves and put the saving back into improving your complex
GalwayGaillimh is offline  
Thanks from:
16-07-2018, 07:25   #4
The_Conductor
Moderator
 
The_Conductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29,331
The issue with such a small development- is any of the more reputable companies simply aren't going to be interested- as you have no scale.
I suggest you should look at other managed developments in the immediate vicinity- and see who the managing agent is- and if you approach them- on the understanding that they are already in the vicinity- they might bite- but there is no point in randomly casting a net out there for suggestions.

Alternatively- and what I'd suggest is the most obvious solution- is as per the above suggestion- just do it yourself.
Citybin will give you a good rate for a communal bin collection service, Murray Spellman will do block insurance for you- get a local guy in a few times a year to tidy up the landscaping- and get an annual contract from a pest controller- to set boxes in the autumn- and bobs your uncle, off you go (the other aspect is of course collecting charges, the accounts, the agm etc etc). Its actually more straight forward than you imagine.
The_Conductor is offline  
02-08-2018, 16:31   #5
jim-mcdee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 327
You could try OCPM. They are based in Drumcondra but have a few places in Balbriggan they manage now. Under no circumstances consider MacFar Property Management. I assume you are a Director in the management company. If you are not, you need to have agreement with the Directors. If the directors are also the agent, you have a tough task ahead of you.

Last edited by jim-mcdee; 02-08-2018 at 16:34. Reason: addition
jim-mcdee is offline  
Advertisement
02-08-2018, 17:05   #6
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalwayGaillimh View Post
All you need is block insurance and refuse removal after that its all cosmetic i.e. cleaning common areas...
Save yourself getting fleeced by a managing agent and do it yourselves and put the saving back into improving your complex
Have you any experience of dealing with owners who do not/ will not pay MC fees? Have you experience of drawing up articles of memorandum for your MC which provide the legal basis for your MC. Will you deal with the complaints of your fellow owners and know the legal standing of your responses? Will you know if the tenders you receive for works is good value compared to other developments or will you just accept the lowest and hope for the best? It's all easy and cost saving until someone falls out with the MC and legal letters start flying.
davo10 is offline  
Thanks from:
02-08-2018, 19:26   #7
Caranica
Registered User
 
Caranica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-mcdee View Post
You could try OCPM. They are based in Drumcondra but have a few places in Balbriggan they manage now. Under no circumstances consider MacFar Property Management. I assume you are a Director in the management company. If you are not, you need to have agreement with the Directors. If the directors are also the agent, you have a tough task ahead of you.
Another vote for OCPM. Moved to them 2 years ago and wish we'd done it years earlier.
Caranica is offline  
02-08-2018, 20:03   #8
caviardreams
Registered User
 
caviardreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by davo10 View Post
Have you any experience of dealing with owners who do not/ will not pay MC fees? Have you experience of drawing up articles of memorandum for your MC which provide the legal basis for your MC. Will you deal with the complaints of your fellow owners and know the legal standing of your responses? Will you know if the tenders you receive for works is good value compared to other developments or will you just accept the lowest and hope for the best? It's all easy and cost saving until someone falls out with the MC and legal letters start flying.
Would agree with this, and it really depends on the set-up and specifics. There could be lift maintenance, on-call arrangements, electric gates to service and repair, servicing of fire alarms (which may be required for insurance), parking permits etc. Personally I don't mind paying €150 a year for a good managing agent, so it depends
caviardreams is offline  
03-08-2018, 09:52   #9
happyfriday74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 188
Quote:
If the directors are also the agent, you have a tough task ahead of you.
Not supposed to happen. Complete conflict of interest.

10 apartments is a tricky one. its small but would still be a pig to manage yourself. Also a fee would be more than 150 a unit for a block that size. Agent would make a loss at 1500 a year with dealing with calls, debt collection, board meetings, agm etc.

Any agent a distance away will school themselves in mileage alone so your only options are someone local.
happyfriday74 is offline  
Advertisement
07-08-2018, 14:03   #10
jim-mcdee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 327
I would ignore the posters speaking of difficulty in finding a new agent, and simply contact a few agents, and let the agents themselves decide if they are interested or not. I think you will find any agent operating in the area, with or without a local office, would be interested. But what they will look for is a functioning board of directors.
jim-mcdee is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet