Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's what I saw today, mark 3 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

OSI wrote: »
    I'm gonna sound like a fanboy here, but I promise I'm not trying to be. What actually makes these a far more interesting car than a GTI, other than the fact it's not a GTI? On paper, and in most of the reviews I've seen/read, they're practically identical in approach and execution.

I just find it more interesting. This was a real head-turner whereas a GTI wouldnt get a second look. The GTI is very understated, which i understand is part of its formula of success. - but it’s just too boring.

The N is just visually more interesting and also the sound from the exhuast was nothing like anything I have heard from any Golf.

This was properly fruity and popped aswell.

Dont get me wrong, I am a VAG fan too, but i think this is definitely more interesting. ( doesnt mean I would have it over a GTI though)

Whatever about quality and interior fit and finish, in terms of drama and character, i would say the N is to the GTI what the Civic Type R or Focus RS is to the relatively subdued Golf R

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ION08 wrote: »
    182 Hyundai i30 N

I also saw a red 181 one of these yesterday, and it did indeed stand out, and then it made some noise, and it stood out even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Kaylin Tall Student

Thing with the GTI is its got heritage. Thats not to be underestimated. I have no doubt that i30 is a very fine car, but it doesnt have the brand yet, and will likely depreciate like a bomb. Fair play to Hyundai for trying to get into this segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Does heritage matter any more though as far as the product it self is concerned? Years ago a manufacturer's heritage mattered as their internal developments were kept in house to a degree and built upon. Things they learnt in terms of improving reliability, performance from racing etc went into their road cars and were specific to that brand.

Hyundai know how to build a reliable car at this stage. They then got the right people in to do the performance development on the N. Looks like they put in stuff that consumers in that segment want too, like the lsd up front and pops and bangs from the rear. I don't think Hyundai are any less capable of producing a hot hatch than VW/audi/bmw or whoever because of heritage. They got the mix right on this one.

I do agree though that the lack of this mystical heritage will result in poorer residuals for the i30, but that's down to public perception of the brand rather than the merits of that car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Kaylin Tall Student

Thats what a brand is about, that intangable desirability not related to the product itself. In this category nobody needs a car like that, they want it. The want is driven by decades of brand recognition. A car like that is about the driving experiance, but also about perception. If you look at the money brands spend on marketing it should give you some idea how important this is. Seiko make a fine watch, but its the rolex you want.

• Advertisement

I think we are both agreeing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Never thought I'd see the day that a pic of a Hyundai would be posted here. In my opinion it looks cheap and tacky and has zero prestige. ;) Give me the Golf GTi any day.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

el diablo wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see the day that a pic of a Hyundai would be posted here. In my opinion it looks cheap and tacky and has zero prestige. ;) Give me the Golf GTi any day.

No offense to the poster but I think it’s a bad photo, exterior is much more imposing than that pic, but as mentioned the interior is poor.

Can’t see myself ever buying one over a Gti / R etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

No offense to the poster but I think it’s a bad photo

Have you even seen my pic of the Alfa Giulia?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Hyundai poached a BMW guy to produce it anyway, pretty sure he was an M Performance guy too.

I wouldn’t call a GTI boring, yes they’re around so long that the new kid in town is going to attract attention but the current GTI is one of the least boring ones VW have made. I had a MKIV, now THAT was a boring GTI.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Ok maybe a 98 golf was a tad overrated :D The interior looks lovely and modern but to the touch the quality and finish let it down. Still a hoot of a car though.

Would you say the same about a VRS Octavia?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Augeo wrote: »
    Would you say the same about a VRS Octavia?

I had three of them,
    While they are a great car, the finish is still not as good as VW or Audi. On saying that, there is nothing really wrong with them, I could live with them with zero issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

GTI any day and night, not that I have owned one :rolleyes:

wouldnt buy this i30 even if it was half the price of the GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'd be the complete opposite I'd never in a million years buy a Golf GTI just do nothing for me at all.

I'd take the i30 though happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The GTI is actually cheaper than the i30N, if you put 19" wheels on the GTI it brings it closer. You could look past the power difference 230 Vs 250hp as they're both 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and neither have a differential like the Performance models.

I don't know what financing Hyundai offer but the interest is 5.9% on the regular i30. I believe the delivery charge is also higher. Not knocking the car it just seems expensive compared to the GTI, which isn't cheap either and people have questioned the quality of the interior.

vectra wrote: »
    I had three of them,
    While they are a great car, the finish is still not as good as VW or Audi. On saying that, there is nothing really wrong with them, I could live with them with zero issues.

Indeed. So the Hyundai not being at VW gti levels is par for the course imo.
    Folks who appreciate and desire Audi like interiors will find fault with pretty much most everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With all this talk of hot hatches you would think people into them would be talking more about their performance/handling than the aesthetics of interior plastics and trim?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The GTI is actually cheaper than the i30N, if you put 19" wheels on the GTI it brings it closer. You could look past the power difference 230 Vs 250hp as they're both 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and neither have a differential like the Performance models.

The proper n spec one is 275, a proper fast hatch, i was very impressed with it - as it went up through the revs it just kept pulling. It's only a matter of opinion but i found the exhaust gimmicky and would grow tired of it very quick , it sounds too fabricated not an old school visceral pop and bang like you would get from an Evo, RS3, Focus RS etc
    Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed. So the Hyundai not being at VW gti levels is par for the course imo.
    Folks who appreciate and desire Audi like interiors will find fault with pretty much most everything else.

There's a good reason for that, the interior on my 10 year old S3 hasn't aged a bit in terms of wear or styling (although the latter is subjective)

I think the want for pops and bangs will pass too in this segment. Definitely "in" at the minute. But in maybe another ten years I'm guessing they'll be a bit cringe coming from cars where they were designed into the exhaust/ecu.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Porkers
    DSC_1876_zpsanxvh7ua.jpg
    DSC_1874_zps0u6xgtdm.jpg

DSC_1875_zpsp6gd796o.jpg

DSC_1872_zpsrcffukbf.jpg

DSC_1879_zpskwmnxxk7.jpg

DSC_1877_zpslkzxildn.jpg

DSC_1883_zpsx8kzegzu.jpg

DSC_1931_zpszsbgnmke.jpg

DSC_1881_zpso9cbn9uv.jpg

DSC_1884_zpsdrdf77zn.jpg

DSC_1951_zpsgbpxaylp.jpg

DSC_1934_zpsbmhzo941.jpg

• Advertisement

Battery dieing so will upload more later but I'll leave this pair of ferrari's here for now

DSC_1904_zpsjnyjuejr.jpg

DSC_1905_zpsbzigcuvy.jpg

IMG_20180714_173608_846_zpsarm1bjqe.jpg

IMG_20180714_173318_824_zpssx3oa002.jpg

IMG_20180714_173219_970_zpshdcofa5e.jpg

IMG_20180714_174149_991_zpsowcke3bd.jpg

IMG_20180714_174117_621_zpskc0zmjch.jpg

IMG_20180714_173759_787_zps2slmpolj.jpg

DSC_1925_zpsig1rtutb.jpg

DSC_1926_zpsjym49crh.jpg

DSC_1923_zpsxyqayfdg.jpg

DSC_1922_zpscpxgccc3.jpg

DSC_1929_zpscdjvkoae.jpg

DSC_1921_zpsb5iuiit3.jpg

DSC_1899_zpstn0wuevg.jpg

DSC_1900_zpsz0jloicy.jpg

DSC_1908_zps8gxcvqhd.jpg

DSC_1917_zpsy7bxqaeo.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Never saw one of these before- Fiat 124 Spider. Lovely looking yoke...

42692745004_004a48e853_z.jpg

California replacement portofino
    DSC_1888_zpswj58xat5.jpg

DSC_1889_zpstiknhnzw.jpg

DSC_1912_zps9pz65wab.jpg

DSC_1913_zpsykhojeg0.jpg

DSC_1911_zpswqttn4wc.jpg

DSC_1907_zpszz2cfqk0.jpg

DSC_1906_zpshi80qrem.jpg

DSC_1903_zpsakrlzyeo.jpg

DSC_1901_zpsmjpxxvjm.jpg

DSC_1900_zpsz0jloicy.jpg

DSC_1897_zpssh4vafw4.jpg

DSC_1893_zps6swjkmse.jpg

DSC_1894_zpsowxf15pq.jpg

DSC_1895_zpsweee8pyb.jpg

DSC_1896_zpsxvggrfbh.jpg

DSC_1892_zps5ucjcaoa.jpg

DSC_1891_zpshoweyf2k.jpg

DSC_1890_zpsbvf2g87i.jpg

DSC_1887_zpsvpc0rswb.jpg

DSC_1886_zpsofpkvhag.jpg

DSC_1909_zps5vwihp68.jpg

IMG_20180714_173832_664_zpsisqhqkzi.jpg

IMG_20180714_163216_314_zpsvcbqexfu.jpg

IMG_20180714_173925_000_zpsearqvfkz.jpg

IMG_20180714_174025_708_zps4b6fl4x9.jpg

IMG_20180714_173958_648_zpscajsrps1.jpg

DSC_1946_zpsziktwsmu.jpg
    DSC_1947_zpslvqzhcrt.jpg

DSC_1955_zpscw0o4wt9.jpg

DSC_1953_zpsikqxdmjw.jpg

DSC_1924_zpsrvu88rfu.jpg

DSC_1941_zpsk9be6vl6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

bazz26 wrote: »
    With all this talk of hot hatches you would think people into them would be talking more about their performance/handling than the aesthetics of interior plastics and trim?

They can play with their lovely rubbery buttons while everyone else presses on past them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

IMG_20180714_235806.jpg

My first post without a picture,but naming the(celebrity sportsman) owner,was deleted.
    Is it against the rules to mention the owner?
    It's an i8 convertible,btw.
    Edit:no pic=deleted post.
    It's Conor McGregor's new wheels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement