Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oatlands College

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Always been as far as I can remember!

Technically, its not: https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/taney/mount-merrion/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It is in Stillorgan. Fronts onto the old Dublin road.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Developer bought a house in Cherrygarth (which is in Mount Merrion) to provide development access, so that's how it's being pitched as a Mount Merrion site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

In fairness it's the far side of Oatlands - not along the N11 so it is just off Tress Road etc. which is Mount Merrion for sure.

wowy wrote: »
    Developer bought a house in Cherrygarth (which is in Mount Merrion)
    In fairness it's the far side of Oatlands - not along the N11 so it is just off Tress Road etc. which is Mount Merrion for sure.

It's not - see the townland link I provided above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Developer bought a house in Cherrygarth (which is in Mount Merrion)

The access to the houses is from Mount Merrion, therefore it’s Mount Merrion.
    That’s the rule.

I also checked other areas in the map you linked to and found it to be wrong

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s the rule.

But Cherrygarth is in the Stillorgan North townland?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Are you saying that border is wrong then? How about this map then? http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,719653,728304,10,7

Developers and estate agents will always be loose with location naming when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

But nobody relies on the old townland boundaries from 100 years ago; the modern postal address system is what is relied on now to identify locales. Fine, Cherrygarth was developed on what was the Stillorgan North townland from way back when - but now it's accepted that it's part of Mount Merrion, and consequently any development accessed solely from Cherrygarth will also be considered to be a Mount Merrion development.

[QUOTE=JazzyJ;107487429:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Are you saying that border is wrong then? How about this map then? http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,719653,728304,10,7[/QUOTE]

As above, the townland map you're relying on isn't wrong per se, it's just outdated and no longer relevant to the current accepted development/postal/address system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s the rule.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Are you saying that border is wrong then? How about this map then? http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,719653,728304,10,7

Developers and estate agents will always be loose with location naming when it suits them.
    The only way to access Cherrygarth is from Mount Merrion therefore it’s Mount Merrion

But nobody relies on the old townland boundaries from 100 years ago; the modern postal address system is what is relied on now to identify locales. Fine, Cherrygarth was developed on what was the Stillorgan North townland from way back when - but now it's accepted that it's part of Mount Merrion, and consequently any development accessed solely from Cherrygarth will also be considered to be a Mount Merrion development.

As above, the townland map you're relying on isn't wrong per se, it's just outdated and no longer relevant to the current accepted development/postal/address system.

Fair enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Trees road is clearly in the mount merrion townland map you linked to as far as I can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The modern postal address system is based on the Post Town which is simply for sorting post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Splitting hairs over that one, It is a desirable area one way or the other.

Advertisement