Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime (with 2-day priority shipping) now available in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

With this change, are the free returns on shoes and clothing introduced to ROI as well?

I returned shoes a few times and if they were 'too big' or 'too small', I was charged for the delivery...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

UK in the EU for long?

They are in the EU now. That's all anyone knows.

They want all of the benefits. They want to stay in the EU phone roaming deal and may well stay with the streaming legislation. Also worth remembering is that unless the UK crash out of the EU without a deal then it will be a phased withdrawal over a period of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

I am currently a prime member. Quote from the Amazon page linked at the beginning of the thread:

"If items are not eligible for Priority Delivery, they’ll be delivered to the ROI via Standard (3-4 days) or Economy (3-5 days) Delivery at no extra cost."

Just went to test this out with a sample item.
    Standard delivery time to my virtual U.K. address: 2 days.
    Standard delivery time to my real ROI address: 4 to 14 days.

I took screenshots but I don't think I'll bother taking it up with Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

As a non Amazon prime customer, I have also noticed a much longer delay in packages being sent out. It doesn't seem to affect sending to Northern Ireland, so when I need something quicker, I send to DPD Parcel Wizard.

I placed one order on Sunday 24th June (in stock and sold by Amazon) to my Irish address. Amazon dispatched it on Thursday 28th by I-Parcel and the package arrived today, Tuesday 3rd July.

I placed another order on Friday evening 29th June (3rd party in-stock, fulfilled by Amazon) to my ParcelWizard UK address. Amazon dispatched it the next day (Saturday) by Hermes and the package arrived at Parcel Wizard today. DPD e-mailed me saying I will receive it tomorrow, 4th July.

While not as quick as Amazon Prime, 5 days via ParcelWizard is still better than 9 days direct if I need something within a week, plus avoiding I-Parcel which I've seen take up to 3 weeks! I also can't recall any item taking longer than a week to arrive with the virtual UK service, apart from items not in stock. Just a pity there's no way to avoid orders being split up, where seems to happen more often with Amazon orders of multiple items to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Carbon125 wrote: »
    I am currently a prime member. ... Just went to test this out with a sample item. ...

Yeah, but was it prime eligible? Maybe to validate your test just publish the link to the item you ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Yeah, but was it prime eligible? Maybe to validate your test just publish the link to the item you ordered.
    Yes, it IS prime eligible.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOOT-RS-80N3-Shutter-Release-Control/dp/B01M7RPU5D/

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Carbon125 wrote: »

From a quick test at my end as a non Prime customer, that seems to correspond to the UK and Irish standard delivery method. I added 5 to my cart (for the £25 threshold) to check the free delivery time:

To Northern Ireland (add 1 day and €3.85 to below for total):
    Free delivery: get it by Monday, July 9 (6 days)
    Standard Delivery (£4.49): get it by Friday, July 6 (3 days)
    One-Day Delivery (£5.99): get it on Thursday, July 5 (2 days)
    Express Delivery (£6.49): get it by 1pm on Thursday, July 5 (2 days)

To my Irish address:
    Free delivery: get it by July 10 - 17 (7 to 14 days)
    Standard delivery (£6): get it by July 7 - 17 (4 to 14 days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Seems to be hit and miss with the dates, this one has the two day priority delivery.
    Items dispatched by Amazon EU Sàrl
    Delivery date: 5 July 2018 If you order in the next 1 hour and 20 minutes (Details)
    Marvel's Doctor Strange [Blu-ray] [2016]
    Marvel's Doctor Strange [Blu-ray] [2016]
    by Benedict Cumberbatch
    £15.38
    Quantity: 1 Change quantity of Marvel's Doctor Strange [Blu-ray] [2016] from 1
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
    Add gift options

Choose your Prime delivery option:
    FREE Priority Delivery
    FREE Standard Delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

tried this out monday as i was sick of waiting nearly a week for dispatch on items and building an order up to over £25...

Sign up for a months free trail, ordered a few bits that came to £15, all items were eligible for prime and received them this morning, so 2 day turn around, if amazon kept this quality of service up id defo sign up for a year of prime...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Also tried this recently and found it worked well. Ordered a Prime eligible item on Sunday evening and it arrived at 8:30 on Tuesday morning, so a nice fast turnaround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ArthurG wrote: »
    Also tried this recently and found it worked well. Ordered a Prime eligible item on Sunday evening and it arrived at 8:30 on Tuesday morning, so a nice fast turnaround.

The same. Though I'm not sure what time as I wasn't home.

Only thing I have found is that I got no notification that my package was delivered like I do when I previously sent them to parcel wizard.

No biggie, but I literally got home yesterday evening not knowing if the package had been delivered or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The same. Though I'm not sure what time as I wasn't home.

Only thing I have found is that I got no notification that my package was delivered like I do when I previously sent them to parcel wizard.

No biggie, but I literally got home yesterday evening not knowing if the package had been delivered or not.

Aaaaaand I just got the notification :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Which company has the contract for Prime delivers to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

And do you have to sign for Prime deliveries or will they leave them in the porch etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

An Post express I think.

I ordered Blade Runner 2049 Monday evening and it arrived this morning with An Post express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

I don't think you can depend on the courier

I had an Asian man in an unmarked white van dropping off small Amazon packages for a while.

It's mostly Anpost.

Mikenesson wrote: »

I had an Asian man in an unmarked white van dropping off small Amazon packages for a while.

What the difference does the ethnicity make? And how the hell do you know he is Asian? He as well might be Irish.

I've had two separate prime delivery this week week. One was a small package yesterday and today was a parcel roughly 2.5 foof square. Both were an an post & both arrive in two-way days

grogi wrote: »
    What the difference does the ethnicity make? And how the hell do you know he is Asian? He as well might be Irish.

**** off with that outraged **** he was only creating an image.

Stop thinking everyone is being racist you'll enjoy life a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Mods: please edit my post to remove the Asian reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

An Post

Asus X540L wrote: »
    **** off with that outraged **** he was only creating an image.

Stop thinking everyone is being racist you'll enjoy life a lot more

Where am I outraged? It is you that is throwing the stars around.

Nevertheless - that's exactly where it starts - with the language. There is something wrong if you feel it is important enough to include ethnic background in the post about "who delivers the parcels". Sure - it's not discrimination.

grogi wrote: »
    Where am I outraged? It is you that is throwing the stars around.

Nevertheless - that's exactly where it starts - with the language?

??

Saying "Asian" is racist now is it? It's using language that's inciting hatred?

If I got a job delivering mail in China the Chinese are being discriminatory saying "this white dude delivered a package this morning".

People like you should be put one way boat to all these wonderful countries you love like Cuba, Palestine, North Korea etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Calm down lads - its too sunny out to be getting worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

And snowflakes melt so quick in the sun

Saying "Asian" is racist now is it?

In this context? Yes
    It's using language that's inciting hatred?

No, it is not. But it still is racist.
    If I got a job delivering mail in China the Chinese are being discriminatory saying "this white dude delivered a package this morning".

I explicitly said that it wasn't discriminatory. You seem not to get that racism starts much earlier than discrimination.
    People like you should be put one way boat to all these wonderful countries you love like Cuba, Palestine, North Korea etc

What kind of people? The inferior race or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Lecturing on a forum based on next to nothing just makes you look overly sensitive. You don't know the poster and his comment could have been completely innocuous yet you appear eager to jump to your unfounded conclusions. If you wanted to point it out you could have done so with a lighter touch and not risk looking the bigger arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

Mikenesson wrote: »

It's mostly Anpost.

Interesting snippet this... pity it got caught in the faux outrage that followed

Are Amazon possibly trialling ground delivery in Ireland? They do it in the UK already and they do it big time in the US... "gig" drivers in vans and cars delivering items from distribution centres or designated drop points. It's similar to how the shïtty UK courier Hermes operate and Nightline do it here on a small scale if I'm not mistaken.

Whatever about Amazon taking over the retail landscape, eating the bricks and mortars, etc... I think their moves into the delivery segment will be just as disruptive. The postal operators and couriers who are flying high on the back of Amazon's sheer volume at present could in time be blaming Amazon for driving them out of the market

It's a thread about Amazon Prime. It's not politics, religion nor racial. It is not a subject I'd be getting so worked over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Some people live to be outraged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement