Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

27-06-2018, 17:28   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
Wonder how the Fuhrer reacted back in '38.
He was an Olympics fan, hisself
Advertisement
27-06-2018, 17:28   #182
Itssoeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itssoeasy View Post
1938 ? So west germany never got knocked out at the group stages then ? Jesus as you say this won't go down well in Deutschland.
Wonder how the Fuhrer reacted back in '38.
Well given what happened in 1939-45 not that well.
27-06-2018, 17:28   #183
glasso

South Korea, with that 2 goal victory would have gone through if Meixco beat Sweden by only 1. That would have been mad.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2018, 17:35   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorneTobyWilde View Post
England could win this by default, the big names are not at it at all. My fancy at the start was Belgium
England have yet to play a team of even average quality. I've no idea how even non English are getting excited about their chances.

Belgium full team would probably beat them, as would Colombia. Croatia, France, Brazil, would all probably beat them on their day. Spain too. Serbia and Senegal would be tighter.

England well down the list right now.
27-06-2018, 17:36   #185
jackwigan

Germany haven’t exited a World Cup at this stage since 1938...and we all know how they reacted to that
Advertisement
27-06-2018, 17:50   #186
ozzy jr

Don't mention the VAR!
27-06-2018, 17:51   #187
Vincent Vega

There was an interesting shot that the director chose to show a number of times, of Klose & Boateng, and the space between them that I've been ruminating on with limited success.

Also trying hard to word this sensibly and avoid being accused of any sort of right wing undertone, which certainly isn't my intention at all.

I think the shot could be seen as a apt metaphor for the changing face of, and the transitional phase which German football seems to be heading towards.
27-06-2018, 17:54   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpatrick81 View Post
England have yet to play a team of even average quality. I've no idea how even non English are getting excited about their chances.

Belgium full team would probably beat them, as would Colombia. Croatia, France, Brazil, would all probably beat them on their day. Spain too. Serbia and Senegal would be tighter.

Hard to tell.
27-06-2018, 17:58   #189
SlickRic

It honestly shows how clueless Low was that he ended up reverting to 4-3-3, and didn't have Sané, who has thrived in the system all season.

He also never knew his best team, felt loyal to players who he shouldn't have (i.e. Muller, Ozil and Khedira), and just ended up with a lethargic, aimless mess of a team.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2018, 18:05   #190
ChikiChiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpatrick81 View Post

The English media are setting themselves nicely up moreso than previous years for the inevitable huge fall.

It was deceptive how good the Mexicans looked in their first game when in reality they are quite average as the Germans were just awful.

Tunisia and Panama have been that, just awful.

Last edited by ChikiChiki; 27-06-2018 at 18:10.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2018, 19:09   #191

At least we don’t have to witness Löw picking at himself on camera and eating what he finds. Seriously, he was at it again during their second game, nose-pick this time. And yes, he ate it. And pretty much every time the camera was on him, he was at his nose or scratching his arse. Disgusting.
27-06-2018, 19:26   #192
ArtyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy jr View Post
Don't mention the VAR!
Nice.
I expect this to be the headline on at least one British paper tomorrow.
(3) thanks from:
27-06-2018, 19:51   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikiChiki View Post
The English media are setting themselves nicely up moreso than previous years for the inevitable huge fall.

It was deceptive how good the Mexicans looked in their first game when in reality they are quite average as the Germans were just awful.

Tunisia and Panama have been that, just awful.
Tunisia were tough enough.
27-06-2018, 21:21   #194
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dara_ View Post
At least we don’t have to witness Löw picking at himself on camera and eating what he finds. Seriously, he was at it again during their second game, nose-pick this time. And yes, he ate it. And pretty much every time the camera was on him, he was at his nose or scratching his arse. Disgusting.
A less graphic version for you _Dara_

27-06-2018, 22:19   #195
fiveleavesleft

Well done SK. What a great year Korea is having.

Still very sad to see the decline of that special German team. I know Spain won more & played very prettily but for me Germany (by extension Bayern) have been the team of the decade. Exciting football, positive & always with a will to win. It was Spain's diffident haughtiness, a whiff of "uh scoring is beneath us, lets just pass & pass & grind the win" left me iffy on them.

Much preferred the up & at them attitude of the Germans. So much so I hold that Jurgen Klinsmann has had a more positive & profound impact on the modern game than Pep!

A great & noble team. Hope they don't go the way of Italy
(2) thanks from:
Forum Closed