Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: How did you vote (if you already have) in the Abortion referendum?
Yes 1,779 81.27%
No 410 18.73%
Voters: 2189. You may not vote on this poll

26-05-2018, 18:01   #2821
retro:electro

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbarnacles View Post
I've had enough of Katie Ascough already.
She should marry Ronan Mullen and move to Donegal
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2018, 18:01   #2822
Topgear on Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorm View Post
There was no discussion in the 80s because there was no equivalent of social media or mechanism to openly group views.
Also as far as I can remember there were literally zero foreigners here compared to today, and only British media. Outside influences were much less.
(2) thanks from:
26-05-2018, 18:04   #2823
jimmycrackcorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booters
Simon Harris said they hope to have legislation passed by autumn

Prepared for the Autumn. It could will drag out once the current hoopla dies down.

SSM is a good guideline for timeframe, but that wasn't anywhere as contentious when it comes down to the details.
26-05-2018, 18:05   #2824
Water John

We did converse, prior to social media.
It reminds me of Oliver Flanagan (Chalie's father) saying, there was no sex in Ireland , before television.
Thanks from:
26-05-2018, 18:08   #2825
It wasnt me123

hatrickpatrick

People knew what was happening but the hold of the RCC and curtain twitchers was such that you just didn't talk about it.

My father, who lives in Australia, phoned last week and told me about a story at Rockwell College, Cashel when he worked there as a boy of about 14, so approximately 70 years ago. He came across a baby, hidden under weeds and such on the land of the college (near the lake for those who know the area). My father told his mum who said something like never mention it again and tell no-one. My father thinks the father of the baby was a father (ie a priest).

Now last week was the first time he has ever mentioned it since. That was the type of place Ireland was - beautiful on the surface, but with an underlying ugliness. The shadow of this ugliness is finally lifting.
Advertisement
26-05-2018, 18:08   #2826
Billy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurimgreat View Post
Ok your posts are embarrassing at this point. I don't exactly know what point you are trying to make. In fact I don't think you know either. It seems to be that easy availability of abortion is the mark of a civilised nation. For the record, Cuba, North Korea and China have legal abortion on request. India has a less liberal regime but abortion is widely available, something that played a part in the estimated 60 million femicides of unborn females in that country according to some studies. Iran and Saudi Arabia had abortion laws more liberal than ours. These are not countries we should aspire to be like and I feel embarrassed for you if you think we should look up to them in any way. I've proved to you that abortion is not the hallmark of a civilised country and in the case of India it has encouraged even more backwardness when it comes to attitudes to female unborn.

You've lost the argument, accept it and then we can move on.
You go ahead and keep trying to make the same false statements over and over again... sure it worked wonderfully for the no crowd yesterday, didn't it?

Meanwhile, Graces7's point was that Ireland's current abortion laws represent "civilization". And I have shown you ALL of the countries that have the most similar laws. If you want to keep going fine, but you've yet to actually back up the point that any of the countries in that list are the peak of civilisation. In fact you even used what you called a "sh1thole" country as an example in Venezuela, which it turns out has remarkably similar laws to our current ones. You lost the argument when you were unable to actually point out how the list of countries I gave you were beacons of civility to back up Graces7's argument (hint: because they're not).

Countries with free abortion rights
Canada, United States, Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Slovakia, Ukraine, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Kosovo, Montenegro, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Republic of Macedonia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, Mozambique, Tunisia, South Africa, Cape Verde, China, North Korea, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Nepal, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Georgia, Turkey, Cuba, Guyana, Uruguay, Mexico, Australia

Are these some backwards countries in there? Sure, along with almost the entire developed world. Now let's go back and compare with those who share abortion laws most similar to ours at present once more:

All countries with abortion laws very similar to Ireland's:
Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

If you had to enter a lottery to live in one country from either list... which list would you prefer to be on? You don't need to answer that if you don't want to because we both know the answer already.
26-05-2018, 18:12   #2827
It wasnt me123

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro:electro View Post
I dont' think she is his type. John McGuirk might be more his type IMO

The 8th amendment was never going to be a problem to him
26-05-2018, 18:13   #2829
Loafing Oaf

Quote:
I dunno, they could end up enacting Ireland's version of On Chesil Beach, if you're familiar with that story...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2018, 18:14   #2830
CruelCoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeps View Post
How many women die every year from pregnancy complications in Ireland?
It's done, it's over. Why are you still going on like its still in play.
26-05-2018, 18:15   #2831
qwerty ui op

"The secret No voter will surge to victory like Trump and Brexit, the gutter tactics of the abortionists have swayed moderates to vote No or abstain. Most political scientists I know are predicting a No victory. "~~Doltanian
26-05-2018, 18:17   #2832
spookwoman

It's Official Its YES!
https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status...25175177924608
26-05-2018, 18:18   #2833
Doctor Jimbob

Quote:
Please no. We have more than enough of their type up here.
26-05-2018, 18:19   #2834
retro:electro

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica74 View Post
After eights being handed out at Dublin Castle
Hilarious!
(3) thanks from:
26-05-2018, 18:21   #2835
Srameen

Why does it seem that Donegal goes against the National result in every referendum? What is the contrary streak?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion