Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

She should marry Ronan Mullen and move to Donegal

I dont' think she is his type. John McGuirk might be more his type IMO

The 8th amendment was never going to be a problem to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

After eights being handed out at Dublin Castle:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I dunno, they could end up enacting Ireland's version of On Chesil Beach, if you're familiar with that story...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Sheeps wrote: »
    How many women die every year from pregnancy complications in Ireland?

It's done, it's over. Why are you still going on like its still in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

"The secret No voter will surge to victory like Trump and Brexit, the gutter tactics of the abortionists have swayed moderates to vote No or abstain. Most political scientists I know are predicting a No victory. "~~Doltanian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Please no. We have more than enough of their type up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

erica74 wrote: »
    After eights being handed out at Dublin Castle:pac:

Hilarious! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why does it seem that Donegal goes against the National result in every referendum? What is the contrary streak?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Donegal lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Why does it seem that Donegal goes against the National result in every referendum? What is the contrary streak?

Probably as most younger voters would have left donegal to go work in cities in Ireland IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm in Cork East and we always seem to be the last area in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They went YES in 2015 to be fair (albeit by 0.1% in the northern part!). I don't know the area well but know a few people from there who claim it's got an unnoticed but quite large number of essentially fundamentalist religious types, which might play a role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

64% turnout is disappointing no? And a 66% Yes is also disappointing.... at least it passed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There you go

Healy Rae's
    Kerry 58.3/41.7

McGrath
    Tipp 59.1/40.9

Lower than the Average that is coming in right now at 67/32

Mayo low too; I think the highest NO

Full table of results here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/abortion-referendum/results

Top 5 Yes votes were all in dublin.

Donegal looks very lonely in that list....3rd lowest turnout too.

It can't all be auld lads not able to make it to the polling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Billy86 wrote: »
    They went YES in 2015 to be fair (albeit by 0.1% in the northern part!). I don't know the area well but know a few people from there who claim it's got an unnoticed but quite large number of essentially fundamentalist religious types, which might play a role.

I'm from the area and that's pretty much it. There's an older crowd of serious Bible bashers that pop out of the woodwork every time something like this comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Few things;

Some people vote against the government regardless

Some people vote with the local FF TD regardless.

Some people just don't think about what they're voting on regardless.

Some people are just contrary fcukers, regardless.

Some still believe whatever the priest (or the minister) tells them, regardless.

Some of the younger people vote in the constituencies they live and work in.

Very little campaigning for the Yes side here also, for various reasons.

Still, there was a lot more No voters in Dublin than in Donegal. Regardless.

seachto7 wrote: »
    64% turnout is disappointing no? And a 66% Yes is also disappointing.... at least it passed

Its actually one of the highest turnouts for a referendum.

It might not sound like much, but it's actually pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mayo too. We have fewer incomers and fewer big cities. Kerry not far behind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

64% turnout is disappointing no?

Would've thought so too, evidently not however. An interesting statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

4% higher turnout than the marriage referendum and a vote of 65% was only dreamed of by the Yes side. So not a disappointment.

Nah, not really. I was hoping we could push for 70% turnout but 64% is still pretty good and above 2015's 60.5%, while we've been told not only from the no campaign but also from the media that this would probably be very close to 50/50 for quite a while now.

66.4% is a complete and utter walkover and I'm sure there are plenty on the no side who were gearing themselves up for a "53% isn't a REAL majority so shouldn't count" hope of scuppering/delaying things that are now at a bit of a loss. I'm actually very confident about that as they were trying to push the same only earlier in this thread because on exit polls 12 weeks "only" got 52% (e.g. majority) support.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was at the Savita mural in Dublin today. It was incredibly moving. People had written little messages and stuck them on the wall. Most of them from adults but the one that struck me the most was written in a child's handwriting. It was addressed to Savita and said "I wish you could see this". I hope today's result give her family some comfort. This country will never forget her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Nope, this is very good. You'll never hit even close to 100% turnout on the current system. I moved my vote last minute on the supplementary register, received polling cards to both addresses. On top of that I got a polling card to an address in my parents, where I haven't been registered in 9 years (and didn't receive a card in previous years there).

I only voted once obviously but there's two votes that couldn't be fulfilled

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

Please no. We have more than enough of their type up here.

Please yes. Make a Kardashian’s type TV series following them too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

64% is quite high. In reality it's probably a much higher percentage of the electorate that actually live in Ireland but given that the register is such a mess, that can depress the apparent turnout percentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

You go ahead and keep trying to make the same false statements over and over again... sure it worked wonderfully for the no crowd yesterday, didn't it?

Meanwhile, Graces7's point was that Ireland's current abortion laws represent "civilization". And I have shown you ALL of the countries that have the most similar laws. If you want to keep going fine, but you've yet to actually back up the point that any of the countries in that list are the peak of civilisation. In fact you even used what you called a "sh1thole" country as an example in Venezuela, which it turns out has remarkably similar laws to our current ones. You lost the argument when you were unable to actually point out how the list of countries I gave you were beacons of civility to back up Graces7's argument (hint: because they're not).

Countries with free abortion rights
    Canada, United States, Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Slovakia, Ukraine, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Kosovo, Montenegro, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Republic of Macedonia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, Mozambique, Tunisia, South Africa, Cape Verde, China, North Korea, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Nepal, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Georgia, Turkey, Cuba, Guyana, Uruguay, Mexico, Australia

Are these some backwards countries in there? Sure, along with almost the entire developed world. Now let's go back and compare with those who share abortion laws most similar to ours at present once more:

All countries with abortion laws very similar to Ireland's:
    Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

If you had to enter a lottery to live in one country from either list... which list would you prefer to be on? You don't need to answer that if you don't want to because we both know the answer already.

Again India and China are bad choices due to reasons of female infanticide in these countries. Very bad choices. I will post seperately on the topic.

You are making a terrible argument for abortion by using countries like India and China as examples.

You also fail to understand that most of the civilised countries with abortion such as Japan are struggling with low birth rates which will have disastrous consequences in future decades.

Free abortion rights or not. You've consistantly failed to prove abortion means civilisation. You only have to look at the rates of female infanticide in India and China to see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Noveight wrote: »
    Would've thought so too, evidently not however. An interesting statistic.

36% of people either couldn’t care, were on holidays or living abroad ? A higher turnout would have been encouraging.
    A lower turnout for the marriage referendum suggests Ireland isn’t as liberal and progressive as it would like to think. Or else the me me me generation just couldn’t care about others.

• Advertisement

I only caught it in the background but I THINK I just heard Mattie McGrath say "yes of course" he will respect the vote and work towards enacting it "because I am elected in a democracy".

Ronan Mullen should take note.

Advertisement