Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where are the 2015 no voters now?

Options
  • 22-05-2018 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Something I've thought about over the last week or so, and brought up myself in a thread. What are the opinions of people who opposed the marriage equality laws now, 3 years on . We've had no falling skies, to the best of my knowledge no one's male - female marriage is devalued in any way.

Is it a case that once it's done and the opposition is proven to have no basis that they just want people to forget they opposed it and then they move on to oppose the next thing?

It just seemed to all go very quiet right after the referendum.......

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

we really voted to turn Ireland gay so they're all gay now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

They all moved to Roscommon / South Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CatFromHue wrote: »
    we really voted to turn Ireland gay so they're all gay now

I was wondering what that was. Must tell the missus. Tbh I'm not sure if she'll be happy, sad or uninterested that I'm gay now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They were all forced to have a gay wedding themselves, so hopefully they’re happy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Something I've thought about over the last week or so, and brought up myself in a thread. What are the opinions of people who opposed the marriage equality laws now, 3 years on . We've had no falling skies, to the best of my knowledge no one's male - female marriage is devalued in any way.

Is it a case that once it's done and the opposition is proven to have no basis that they just want people to forget they opposed it and then they move on to oppose the next thing?

They lost the referendum and took their beating like men. What do you want them to do? Seek another referendum to overthrow the previous result? You can only do that when the people vote the wrong way in a referendum relevant to the EU. Or, oh sorry! I forgot about Zimbabwe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They are still out their and there beliefs haven't changed in my experience.
    Some are homophobic and some are religious. Same as the Yes voters.
    I have followed some of these people on social media and they have major issues with the gay agenda constantly being promoted.
    Some simply don't believe in same sex marriage still. If they were invited to one they probably wouldn't go because they'd be seen as accepting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Do you start threads about everyone who disagrees with you?

feargale wrote: »
    They lost the referendum and took their beating like men. What do you want them to do? Seek another referendum to overthrow the previous result? You can only do that when the people vote the wrong way in a referendum relevant to the EU. Or, oh sorry! I forgot about Zimbabwe.

I never said they should do anything. I asked what their opinions are now that none of the scaremongering has proven to have any basis.

Presumably they are still opposed to it but I'm wondering if they've come up with new reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's not on the table any more is all. Both sides thankfully went quiet after the referendum, as they do after every referendum, and people just carry on about their lives. It happens after referenda which fail too - people go quiet and just go about their daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

What was interesting about that was two of the anti gay marraige men who debated it fiercely were gay men!.

Paddy Manning was one forget the other guys name.

• Advertisement

Do you start threads about everyone who disagrees with you?

Maybe we could separate boards in to sections only for the people who agree on topics. Just take the discussion part out of forums altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Who cares why is it even relevant what they are doing now much like it won't be relevant what anyone who will be voting in the abortion referendum will be doing 3 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They've gone to one of these
    https://goo.gl/images/Ghmss5
    and they aren't coming out until Ronan Mullen gives the all clear.

Didn't stds go through the roof in "the community" though..like up 30 or 40 % in a year?

God was angry..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

What was interesting about that was two of the anti gay marraige men who debated it fiercely were gay men!.

Paddy Manning was one forget the other guys name.

They are now man and em wife.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Aren't all weddings a bit gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I intended to vote Yes, but on the day i voted No.:o Bit of an idioit decision i'll admit, but I never doudted it would fail but just got sick of the likes of panty bliss and decided to stick it to the "liberal agenda".

Maybe we could separate boards in to sections only for the people who agree on topics. Just take the discussion part out of forums altogether?

That's pretty much what's happened already, which is why you don't see too many people around who voted no in the last referendum. It doesn't mean they've disappeared, they just discuss these topics elsewhere, which is pretty much why Boards is dying on it's arse and other social media platforms are thriving at their expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

They will probably go to the same places as the all those who voted the losing side on Friday, and get on with their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I intended to vote Yes, but on the day i voted No.:o Bit of an idioit decision i'll admit, but I never doudted it would fail but just got sick of the likes of panty bliss and decided to stick it to the "liberal agenda".

you're grand, I know a fella who was voting "No" until he had a last minute attack of conscience, so you kind of cancelled each other out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Panty milked it for all its worth. A shameless self promoter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    They will probably go to the same places as the all those who voted the losing side on Friday, and get on with their lives.

I really hope the referendum passes on Friday mainly because I think it's the right thing to happen but also because if it doesn't pass it will be a complete ****show and there will be quite a lot of people not getting on with their lives I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kneemos wrote: »

Who's agenda got the u2 albums on every iPhone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I'd say they are hanging around with the hello divorce, bye bye Daddy crowd praying for God to save the sinful world.

I'd say they are hanging around with the hello divorce, bye bye Daddy crowd praying for God to save the sinful world.

There are plenty of people who voted no who also have no tolerance for people who are religious. It's not as though the two are mutually exclusive. Some people just don't like other people who aren't them. The results of any referenda doesn't actually change people and it doesn't change what they did or didn't believe about other people either before or after any referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

They are currently preoccupied with trying to keep bodily autonomy for women outlawed. Too busy with that to worry about LGBTQ relationships presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Well my 'oul fella voted No and he died last year.

Make out of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'd love to go back over the opposition posters for the last few referenda and see if any of it actually came through.

I remember a Sinn Fein one for the Nice Treaty saying we'd all be drafted into an EU army and lose our sovereignty. There's was another one saying the Europe would crush Irish farming and we'd have no say in the EU parliament.

• Advertisement

Greybottle wrote: »

Make out of that what you will.

God is gay and he smited him?

Advertisement