Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent

• 15-05-2018 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

I travel a lot with work.

Well now I'm moving house because I will be based in my current office/site for at least a year.

I'm looking around and rents are insane.

Not just a bit expensive but egregiously extortionate.

There are complete sweatboxes being called luxury apartments.

Rent pressure zones can be circumvented.
    Threshold can be hoodwinked.
    Renters seem to be easily ignored.

Nothing seems to be done to stop low quality high rents.

Is this your experience with renting too?
    What can be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Declare yourself homeless and you'll get a free place :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I'm currently renting a one-bed apartment and it's very nice, but I'm paying a lot for it. I've been pondering the idea of moving somewhere cheaper and commuting to Dublin, in the hope that I might save enough money to buy a house during the next crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Leave the country. The next election will turn up some headbangers like SF or FF because the economy maybe strong but this has not translated into better finances for the vast majority of renters (effectively anyone under the age of 35).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Declare yourself homeless and you'll get a free place :pac:

Or knock someone up the duff, one child = 1 bed, two children = 2 bed. Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I know this is an old thread but im in exactly the same position OP.

No matter what we do we can never get ahead.

Ive lived on the outskirts of two cities(NOT DUBLIN) - while the rent is not as bad as Dublin its still terrible.

In the last year I have seen property the same as mine advertised for 60% more(to rent) than i am currently paying. Imagine thats only one year.

I feel like we are the forgotten people anytime Im reading the news.

Ive also no Idea how students are affording 400/500 - 1000 PM for rooms for college.

On another note you'll find no sympathy or sense here - from threads I have read there seems to be a brigade of posters who will say "Move outside of Dublin if you dont like it"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thomas 123 wrote: »

Ive also no Idea how students are affording 400/500 - 1000 PM for rooms for college.

wealthy mammy & daddy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ive lived on the outskirts of two cities(NOT DUBLIN) - while the rent is not as bad as Dublin its still terrible.

In the last year I have seen property the same as mine advertised for 60% more(to rent) than i am currently paying. Imagine thats only one year.

On another note you'll find no sympathy or sense here - from threads I have read there seems to be a brigade of posters who will say "Move outside of Dublin if you dont like it"

The reason is us working people are competing with the likes of the cash family whom have been plastered all over the news.

I have worked since 15 and haven't been bad with money or terrible spending or never not paid a bill or debt but yet get turned down for a mortgage for €150k.

Ireland is for the ones that class themselves in most cases as homeless or the rich.

The in between such as those that work hard are screwed with tax after tax etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's the market economy baby. Suck it up, live in a washing machine cardboard box and work for your betters.

Stop talking it down - keep the recovery going (TM)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Watching this develop with shock and glad I got settled just as it was starting to develop fully. I look at daft out of interest and the lack of reasonably priced rentals is ... and this is small town /rural

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was that the one where everyone sang about AIDS?

100% agree. We are the fools working endless 39 hour weeks only to hand over the majority of our money to the government and landlords.

Need to go to A&E, wait 8 hours before your seen.
    Need to talk to Revenue, use our online service and wait 20 days for someone to get back to you.
    etc etc etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fcuk it, move. You have a passport that will allow you to travel, work and live in one of the largest job markets in the world. Dublin isn't a world class city by any standards (and I say that as a Dub), there are much, much better places to live where your money will go much further to get you a better quality of life. The best thing about Dublin currently is the airport and all the new routes opening up.

If I was in my 20s and looking at a 40/50 years of a working life ahead of me, I wouldn't be putting any blood, sweat and tears into lining a landlords pocket in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

fryup wrote: »
    wealthy mammy & daddy ?

It's not wealthy Mammy and Daddy at all. I take out a loan each year to pay for my 2 in college. Both work part time to help pay it. I also took a second job which leaves me wrecked most of the time. I have not had a holiday in 5 years, I don't buy clothes except when needed, I drive a 13 year old car. Very easy get flippant about things you know nothing about.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Fcuk it, move. You have a passport that will allow you to travel, work and live in one of the largest job markets in the world. Dublin isn't a world class city by any standards (and I say that as a Dub), there are much, much better places to live where your money will go much further to get you a better quality of life. The best thing about Dublin currently is the airport and all the new routes opening up.

If I was in my 20s and looking at a 40/50 years of a working life ahead of me, I wouldn't be putting any blood, sweat and tears into lining a landlords pocket in this city.

Tough honest advice is often the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

It’s all about supply and return on investment for rentals. I’m staying in it for the long game in hope that something can be given to ll however I do know a lot of them getting out of the market due the regulatory regime here along with extra taxes and fees over the past few years. You would think that if it was all rosy more would be getting into the game however the stats say otherwise. The government can still put a slight spin on it for another few years due to large charity’s being included in the rentals however there will come a point where they won’t be able to escape the fact that so many ll are getting out of it and then they will do some half arsed attempt as always to band aid it instead of keeping everything stable and consistent so that financially you can plan ahead 10/20years. Let the free market dictate how the rental sector goes instead of changing laws every year which in the end hurt both the ll and tenant alike. For example with the new rpz stuff, it forced me to max out my rental role for place which I have never done in the past for sitting tenants just so I can protect myself and for other places I actually evicted them as they were so far below market rate to do substantial work to my place so I could get it up to the going rate before they alter it yet again. Some of these people have been in my places for over 5years however at the end of the day you have to protect your nest egg as some of these laws can severely impact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Student accommodation is so dear because landlords expect the parents to be footing the bill and feel like they charge whatever they like. Its sad because theres allot of students who dont have that support and who are lucky to be going to college in the first place. These are the students who will fall behind, drop out and get the lowest grades because of the financial burden of trying to rent and pay college costs.

It just feels like theres no give and take, no one wants to help anyone anymore, everyone's out for themselves and only interested in what they can get out of each other, this is at the cost of homelessness, poverty, suicide and illness. They do not care. They can happily put a poor family on the streets for the right price. Theyve no shame or guilt and theres no point complaining about it unless people are actually willing to collectively do something about this.

Ive heard of something called rent parties, its what New Yorkers used to do in the 70's when they had a similar renting crisis, locals would hold parties and everyone who came had to give what ever they could afford, either that be a fiver or 50 quid, the money would be collected and put towards rent. Could be an interesting idea to look into how other cities coped with similar issues and bring those ideas to Dublin.

The other problem is that people are willing to accept and pay the extortionate rent prices. I would class myself a little bit in the 'move out of Dublin' group. There is an entire country outside Dublin with cheaper rent. Look into Limerick, Belfast or cork, Galway too although the rent is going the same way there too, large towns are another option. I dont say that to show a lack of compassion, its the reality of the situation, currently the landlords have the power, all we can do is search for other options.

How do landlords have the power when the RTB and legal regime is completely geared toward protecting tenants. All the legislation that has come in over the past 5years has been to protect tenants, please show me something the government has given to ll as it’s completely one sided. The reason rental prices are so high at the moment is due to the cost of buying investment properties right now and lack of supply. To the surprise of some maybe, I actually yielded more from a property back in 2013/14 when prices and rent prices were rock bottom compared to now. The only way to lower the cost of rent is to increase supply. That’s the only thing that will fix the issue. So what do the government do, more ll are getting out of the market which are con training supply further and they build 10pc of apartments which is exactly what we should be building instead of large 3bed semis

The planning fro in Dublin should at a minimum be forcing developers to build 50pc apartments. At least that way going forward the infrastructure and facilities will be better organized as they have the population to support them instead of the urban sprawl were still seeing

Fol20 wrote: »
    The planning fro in Dublin should at a minimum be forcing developers to build 50pc apartments. At least that way going forward the infrastructure and facilities will be better organized as they have the population to support them instead of the urban sprawl were still seeing

Your totally right in everything you have said.

A show on RTE mentioned 11/12(Not sure of the exact show or stat) cranes in Dublin currently where for building offices, only one for housing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Leave the country. The next election will turn up some headbangers like SF or FF because the economy maybe strong but this has not translated into better finances for the vast majority of renters (effectively anyone under the age of 35).

I agree that buying a plane ticket out of here is the best option. I’m planning on it myself in about 9 months, my wages are only going on rent and bills, so pressing the eject button.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fryup wrote: »
    wealthy mammy & daddy ?

Struggling mammy & daddy, just somehow making it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The other problem is that people are willing to accept and pay the extortionate rent prices.

Like buying overpriced tickets from touts, they do because they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

The Dublin city center is for most vulnerable permanent job seekers. They have to stay close to the local pubs and off licenses.

How do landlords have the power when the RTB and legal regime is completely geared toward protecting tenants. All the legislation that has come in over the past 5years has been to protect tenants, please show me something the government has given to ll as it’s completely one sided. The reason rental prices are so high at the moment is due to the cost of buying investment properties right now and lack of supply. To the surprise of some maybe, I actually yielded more from a property back in 2013/14 when prices and rent prices were rock bottom compared to now. The only way to lower the cost of rent is to increase supply. That’s the only thing that will fix the issue. So what do the government do, more ll are getting out of the market which are con training supply further and they build 10pc of apartments which is exactly what we should be building instead of large 3bed semis

What rights do tenants really have? I’d agree that they can get away with not paying a few months rent possibly, but that’s about it. Rental properties can be damp, disheveled, etc., but nobody cares. The R.T.B. is a token organisation that does little to nothing in reality.

Maybe a pandemic is what Ireland needs or some restrictions on whose coming into the country. Like it or not most people going to view rental properties are not Irish, so there are 1000’s of workers coming in from abroad every month, putting pressure on the already overheated rental market. Call me a racist if you will, I wouldn’t mind them coming in if we had enough houses to house them in.

KevinCavan wrote: »
    What rights do tenants really have? I’d agree that they can get away with not paying a few months rent possibly, but that’s about it. Rental properties can be damp, disheveled, etc., but nobody cares. The R.T.B. is a token organisation that does little to nothing in reality.

-They can potentially live in a property for 1 years plus without paying rent before eventually being evicted.
    -They can destroy a property with little to no recourse of ll getting the money back in damages or loss of rent
    -If a property is damp, laws incorrectly adhered to, the ll can be sued and they will pay it as they have an asset that can be taken off them
    -I agree the RTB are a token organisation for ll yet we still need to pay for it however for tenants they will protect you.
    That is just a few.

-People keep saying we should go to european way where they can stay in as long as they want. I agree with them as i wish i didnt have to provide beds, couches etc and i would have no problem with someone staying in a play indefinitely as long as they are paying the rent.

If you really think tenants have very little rights, please do your research as ignorance can be bliss sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

LL: I’m selling the house/apartment, you have 90 days to vacate.
    Tenant: Ok
    Landlord: *rents out apartment at a higher rent above the 4% allowed*

Aside from that, these vulture funds are buying off the plans and setting the rent.

I’m at a loss as to how your property is yielding less in 2018 than it did in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Vulture funds pay no tax.

Ordinary ll pay around 50% so a house getting say 2500 the LL is only getting half the other half is paying for the likes of the cash family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Maybe a pandemic is what Ireland needs or some restrictions on whose coming into the country. Like it or not most people going to view rental properties are not Irish, so there are 1000’s of workers coming in from abroad every month, putting pressure on the already overheated rental market. Call me a racist if you will, I wouldn’t mind them coming in if we had enough houses to house them in.

No one likes to talk about it, but immigration has been a huge factor in Irish property going crazy over the last 25 years. Unfortunately no one can point that out in polite company.

Advertisement