Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

would a local butcher have the piece available? one youtuber implied that it should be done on a low heat for several hours.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

BBQ brisket tends to be smoked slowly for a few hours, its a tough meat and better in a stew in doing in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

silverharp wrote: »
    would a local butcher have the piece available? one youtuber implied that it should be done on a low heat for several hours.

You might have to order it from a butcher for when he's killing & butchering again. My local butcher kills on Mondays so i can just throw in an order for something weird like a heart or tongue on Saturday :D A lot of butchers would just lump brisket in with stewing beef or mince it as it's not a whole cut normally used here.

As mentioned above it's normally used for corned beef as the brining method would tenderise it a bit, low & slow would have the same outcome though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You left out the most important bit. Shape them first and then refrigerate them before coating them in egg, breadcrumbs etc.

I forgot to come back. Thanks folks I’ll give this a go. Much appreciated all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In simple terms...
    Pig - pork belly = Cow - brisket

Any decent butcher should have it. Generally it is rolled & tied for roasting or pot-roasting.

I like braising it slow & low but untied & flat in a roasting tray with red wine, thyme & bay or beer & rosemary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Interestingly the only mention of brisket on the FXBs site is for a specific cut of corned beef:
    http://www.fxbuckleybutchers.ie/meat/beef/brisket-corned-beef.html
    James Whelans have it, 7 euro per kg

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6172
    Beef Brisket on the bone

Brisket can be cooked many different ways. Basting the meat is essential during cooking. Brisket of beef on the bone needs to be slowly cooked at a low temperature due to the collegen fibers that make up the significant connective tissue in the cut. The slow cooking helps tenderize the brisket, as the collagen gelatinizes, resulting in more tender beef. The fat cap can be left attached to the brisket, which helps to keep the meat from drying during the prolonged cooking necessary to break down the connective tissue in the meat. Water is necessary for the conversion of collagen to gelatin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I live with my sister and do all the cooking. Had planned to do a pork stir-fry for dinner on Tuesday evening. She comes in and goes "Ugh. I really don't like pork. If I buy steak will you cook that instead?" She was going out for a late lunch yesterday so I was like, grand, I'll do the stir-fry for myself on Wednesday and bring the rest into work on Thursday for lunch.

Was cooking it last night and she comes in and goes "Oh that actually smells lovely, I will have some so". And then got all shirty when I was like "But it was going to be my lunch tomorrow :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I live with my sister and do all the cooking. Had planned to do a pork stir-fry for dinner on Tuesday evening. She comes in and goes "Ugh. I really don't like pork. If I buy steak will you cook that instead?" She was going out for a late lunch yesterday so I was like, grand, I'll do the stir-fry for myself on Wednesday and bring the rest into work on Thursday for lunch.

Was cooking it last night and she comes in and goes "Oh that actually smells lovely, I will have some so". And then got all shirty when I was like "But it was going to be my lunch tomorrow :mad::mad::mad:

Well, try to see it as a compliment to your cooking ;);)

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You have to find something they hate and say it is in it, if they cannot cook they likely will not know if it is true or not.

e.g. you would say "you said you wanted none, this is loaded with onions/corriander/MSG/salt/sugar/beef dripping/chilli, if I knew you wanted some i wouldn't have put it in"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

With not being well to go out, em reverting to my old North Sea island ideas,, onl without goat and hens,there is something lacking!

But like all poorer societies, they were great at stovetop baking. Like you see made here at the Traditional Farms at Muckross in Killarney

Up north it was bannocks and each woman would have her own ways. And the lfavorite flour was bere meal, from locally grown special barley

So I am planning a floury bannock, much improvised. Food for the Gods.. will let you know how it eats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I am lamenting the loss of so many favourite foods now I'm pregnant. According the the doctors I am not supposed to eat: sushi, cured meats, soft cheeses, anything from a deli with mayonnaise in it, pate of all descriptions, and worst of all: runny eggs!

I'm telling you, in 6 months' time I am going for a binge in the Italian quarter followed by a trip to Musashi where I will eat my bodyweight in raw fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Kylith congratulations. The raw fishy stuff and runny eggs will be all the nicer when you have them. Although I think there are some restrictions if you're breast feeding too.

How're you feeling.

Also, I always thought you were male for some reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

You can have runny eggs if they're quality approved. :)https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-36888285#ampshare=http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36888285

I still wouldn't eat raw myself while preggo, but I enjoyed a runny yolk in my egg this morning with toast, and the baby seems all right. :)

Whispered wrote: »
    Kylith congratulations. The raw fishy stuff and runny eggs will be all the nicer when you have them. Although I think there are some restrictions if you're breast feeding too.

How're you feeling.

Also, I always thought you were male for some reason.
    I get queasy if my stomach is empty, so bang goes any thoughts I might have had of being a skinny mammy, but other than that it's all good so far.

They can feck off with their breast feeding restrictions!

Nope, definitely not a bloke. I'm sure I'd have noticed by now.
    You can have runny eggs if they're quality approved. :)https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-36888285#ampshare=http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36888285

I still wouldn't eat raw myself while preggo, but I enjoyed a runny yolk in my egg this morning with toast, and the baby seems all right. :)

Woooooo! I'm going to throw a parade! And stop feeling guilty about that carbonara I made the other night because it was either that or kill and devour Himself, I was so hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Congrats Kylith! Don’t want to piss on your parade, so to speak, but can we all please stay away from food safety advice. Sorry!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

kylith wrote: »
    I am lamenting the loss of so many favourite foods now I'm pregnant. According the the doctors I am not supposed to eat: sushi, cured meats, soft cheeses, anything from a deli with mayonnaise in it, pate of all descriptions, and worst of all: runny eggs!

I'm telling you, in 6 months' time I am going for a binge in the Italian quarter followed by a trip to Musashi where I will eat my bodyweight in raw fish.

Congratulations! My daughter is pregnant too and longing for a runny egg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Congrats!

We have eggs every which way for breakfast on the weekend and that was the thing that Mrs. Baz missed the most. Runny fried/poached/boiled eggs.

Personally I don’t think I could go that long without having a runny egg. Especially if a really unthoughtful spouse insisted on having them for breakfast anyway. Ahem.... Women really are the stronger sex

congrats, if I really wanted any of those foods I would research them properly, and verify with the doctors who might be taking the easy way out by saying eat nothing they have read about.

I know food safety is a no-no here, but many doctors and sites just reiterate old advice which make assumptions about how people are actually cooking things. Or they presume you will not be recooking stuff, e.g. cured chorizo.

e.g. when somebody said it is inadvisable to eat a runny egg it is since they are making the assumption you might be boiling it for ~4mins. When in fact you could cook an egg for literally 1 month at 63C and it would should remain runny and possibly have less potential risk than a traditionally hard boiled egg. While of boiled at 100C for 4mins the core might have only reached 63C for seconds and not have killed off hazards.

The popularity of sous vide cooking has forced many safety authorities to revisit their timings and admit many are ludicrous and admit they were very presumptuous.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Came home with a jar of beetroot as I said I wanted to eat it in a sambo. Can't get the lid off. Food satisfaction, terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

beertons wrote: »
    Came home with a jar of beetroot as I said I wanted to eat it in a sambo. Can't get the lid off. Food satisfaction, terrible.

Happens me with the jars of red cabbage from LIDL! I either have patience and run it under a hot tap or stab it with a penknife to release the pressure....:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

beertons wrote: »

Give the side of the lid a good tap with the wooden spoon to break the vacuum. Wearing a dry rubber glove can also help to twist it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Melendez wrote: »

pregnantly disadvantaged.

I am absolutely using that term from now on.

I don’t think I could wait a quarter hour for an egg. I think i’ll Just take them hard boiled and mashed with butter for the period of my disadvantage.

Melendez wrote: »
    yeah, they are horrible, was really just making the point you can cook & cook for days and it will never change.
    Give the side of the lid a good tap with the wooden spoon to break the vacuum. Wearing a dry rubber glove can also help to twist it off.

You can lever up the side with the end of a spoon too.

This image shows how it is done, but I use the other end. You break the vacuum more safely & controlled this way, rather than whacking it.

aid696090-v4-728px-Open-a-Pickle-Jar-Step-6.jpg.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I am absolutely using that term from now on.

I don’t think I could wait a quarter hour Defoe an egg. I think i’ll Just take them hard boiled and mashed with butter for the period of my disadvantage.

Or try one of these hard boiled egg recipes......
    www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/easter/gmp2170/hard-boiled-egg-recipes/

Found some leftover ring donuts got on thursday, so pretty stale. Looked up what could be done with them, and saw french toast donuts. Came out really well.

Tesco do 5 ring donuts for a euro as standard. At the end of the day they can be sold off even cheaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

rubadub wrote: »
    Found some leftover ring donuts got on thursday, so pretty stale. Looked up what could be done with them, and saw french toast donuts. Came out really well.

Tesco do 5 ring donuts for a euro as standard. At the end of the day they can be sold off even cheaper.

So did you just dip them in egg and fry them?? In butter?

So did you just dip them in egg and fry them?? In butter?

yep, I sliced it in half, like it was a burger bun, then soaked in just egg for about 30mins before frying in butter. Nicer than they were when fresh. No need to add any topping as they are sweet enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Hello I am from Brazil and I used to eat a lot hearts of palm there. Anyone knows if they are available in Dublin any shopping selling?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement