Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-03-2018, 07:56   #1
Brendan Hennessy

Trek Bike found on M7

Good morning all,

I found a Trek racing bike yesterday on the M7 which may have come off a car. It was located near junction 15 for Monastervin/ Killenard / Ballybrittas as you head for Dublin. On first impression it doesn't seem to have come off too bad.

It has a few identifying features so could the rightful owner please step forward or could you please pass the word around.

Cheers, Brendan
Advertisement
07-03-2018, 09:20   #2
Whyner

Not something you read every day, fair play
(4) thanks from:
07-03-2018, 10:22   #3
Cee-Jay-Cee

If its a red Madone 9.9 then its mine. Thanks.
07-03-2018, 10:29   #4
Wishbone Ash

Bit of a long shot but the owner may have registered the serial number with the Gardai.
Thanks from:
07-03-2018, 10:35   #5
HugoMyBoss

It could have been a get away bicycle and switched bikes on the M7 to avoid detection.
Advertisement
07-03-2018, 10:38   #6
phelixoflaherty

Is there a marathon passing soon?
Thanks from:
07-03-2018, 10:40   #7
TheBlaaMan

It might be worth considering that it was lost some time other than yesterday - any chance that is has been there a bit longer but covered in snow?
Thanks from:
07-03-2018, 10:46   #8
fat bloke

Fair play to you.

Unless it's a ruse to hit the owner with a ten grand repair bill for your car, having run over the bike...

Hand it into the guards, leave your details. If nobody collects it within a year, then the bike is yours.
Thanks from:
07-03-2018, 10:53   #9
Cee-Jay-Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke View Post
Fair play to you.

Unless it's a ruse to hit the owner with a ten grand repair bill for your car, having run over the bike...

Hand it into the guards, leave your details. If nobody collects it within a year, then the bike is yours.
I wouldn't bother doing that as god knows what way it might be stored. Ring the local station and give them your details to pass onto anyone who may report it missing.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-03-2018, 15:53   #10
Brendan Hennessy

Well folks I have appreciated and being amused by your comments in equal measure! Madone 9.9 indeed!

I had checked with the Gardai in Kildare and Portlaoise but they have received no calls. The bike, in my opinion, was recently lost as there was no chain rust from either snow or salted roads.

I brought it in the end to the barracks in Portlaoise and we decided to leave it there as it's better to be half way between Cork/Limerick and Dublin rather than the owner having to collect it from either end of the spectrum. - I think the Guard was amused by my inquisition of the type of sheds they had. Hopefully the rightful owner will find it in good repair.

In hindsight, and as a member of Oldvelos(.com), this was definitely the best decision, as if the bike came home to my stable of vintage bikes God knows what would have happened. Just look what happened my Mercian in the recent snow!

07-03-2018, 16:48   #11
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
Bit of a long shot but the owner may have registered the serial number with the Gardai.
How is that done?
Thanks from:
07-03-2018, 18:49   #12
Kissy Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post

I went into a Garda station to register my bike serial number and the Guard stated with no uncertainty that they do not take the serial numbers from bikes. Then I left.
(2) thanks from:
08-03-2018, 07:14   #13
Canis Lupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
How is that done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissy Lips View Post
I went into a Garda station to register my bike serial number and the Guard stated with no uncertainty that they do not take the serial numbers from bikes. Then I left.
One assumes he meant if it was reported lost/stolen the owner might have provided the serial number when reporting it to the police.
08-03-2018, 08:50   #14
Grassey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissy Lips

Weird. I remember a bike show in the RDS years back where there were 2 Gardai at the bike rack taking serials of anyone interested in registering them against theft.
08-03-2018, 09:16   #15
coward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassey View Post
Weird. I remember a bike show in the RDS years back where there were 2 Gardai at the bike rack taking serials of anyone interested in registering them against theft.
And you read about them offering to engrave your bicycle from time to time. e.g.:

http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/05/fre...town-tomorrow/

What do they engrave!? I would have thought the bicycle serial number was a pretty good identity. Is it your name / address so it doesn't require them to maintain a register of serial numbers?
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion