Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2017, 15:44   #691
Bahanaman

This is my favourite places in the world to go for a run. The Barrow Line between St. Mullins Co. Carlow and Graiguenamanagh. It is a very tranquil part of the world with, for the most part, a lovely soft grassy surface to run on. On an evening like when I took these pictures there's nowhere nicer. Unfortunately there are some people who propose having this grass ripped up and replaced by a rough, unbound hardcore surface. This has been done already in places and I have included a photo of one such section which is the last stretch of the line leading into St. Mullins. As you can clearly see it is a rough, potholed mess which is neither suitable for walkers, runners, or the cyclists for which it is intended. This amenity goes from St. Mullins all the way to Athy and would be ruined if a small minority gets its way. From looking at the photos attached what do you all think? Which surface would you prefer to be running on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20170509_195539.jpg (2.42 MB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20170509_194332.jpg (2.33 MB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20170509_190855.jpg (2.72 MB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20170509_193316.jpg (2.69 MB, 135 views)
Advertisement
15-05-2017, 17:28   #692
hot buttered scones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahanaman View Post
This is my favourite places in the world to go for a run. The Barrow Line between St. Mullins Co. Carlow and Graiguenamanagh. It is a very tranquil part of the world with, for the most part, a lovely soft grassy surface to run on. On an evening like when I took these pictures there's nowhere nicer. Unfortunately there are some people who propose having this grass ripped up and replaced by a rough, unbound hardcore surface. This has been done already in places and I have included a photo of one such section which is the last stretch of the line leading into St. Mullins. As you can clearly see it is a rough, potholed mess which is neither suitable for walkers, runners, or the cyclists for which it is intended. This amenity goes from St. Mullins all the way to Athy and would be ruined if a small minority gets its way. From looking at the photos attached what do you all think? Which surface would you prefer to be running on?
Why??? That's just madness. That grey hardcore is dirty and dusty and will (I assume) eventually wear and wash away to leave a path of larger stones underneath - well that's what it's like in a park near me anyway. Those potholes will fill with water every time it rains. That grassy path looks amazing. If the majority is against this then they need to speak up and voice their objections before it's too late.
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2017, 20:02   #693
Bahanaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot buttered scones View Post
Why??? That's just madness. That grey hardcore is dirty and dusty and will (I assume) eventually wear and wash away to leave a path of larger stones underneath - well that's what it's like in a park near me anyway. Those potholes will fill with water every time it rains. That grassy path looks amazing. If the majority is against this then they need to speak up and voice their objections before it's too late.
Madness is the word hot buttered scones. There is a large group of well organised people who have a campaign running against this proposal. Google "Save the Barrow Line" and you'll find plenty of information on the whole thing.They want to put hardcore on a river bank that floods on an almost annual basis! Also on an information evening when asked what the plan for future maintenance would be, the answer was "we don't know"!
(3) thanks from:
15-05-2017, 20:05   #694
ooter

How long of a stretch is it Bahanaman?
I'd imagine it gets pretty boggy in the winter?
Looks a great spot btw.
15-05-2017, 20:33   #695
Bahanaman

It goes from St. Mullins to Athy ooter. I think I read somewhere that it's 114 km long. It goes through Graiguenamanagh, Goresbridge, Bagenalstown, Leighlinbridge, Carlow and then Athy. You can join into one of the canals at some point, the Grand I think. There's actually a race in a couple of weeks on it, well three races under the same umbrella really. "The Stone Mad". They include a 60km ultra, a marathon and a half marathon. The three races finish in Graiguenamanagh. http://stonemadrace.com/ is the website with all the relevant information. I'm thinking of doing the marathon myself (not in anything near the shape needed for it but might get a "Save The Barrow Line" t-shirt for meself and wear it). It starts just south of Carlow Town. The half starts from Bagenalstown. Some friends of mine have done it in previous years and been very happy with the race. Organisation has been very good.

The track does get boggy in the winter but the way I see it is that's the time when you stay off it and let it regenerate itself and recover from the wear and tear of the summer and autumn months.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2017, 21:37   #696
The Black Oil

Recent trip out to Inishbofin.

15-05-2017, 21:42   #697
opus

Going to have to keep an eye our for these critters as I was only running along that very river at lunchtime today!

Fresh concerns over possible spread of rat-like coypu
(3) thanks from:
19-05-2017, 23:55   #698
statina

Barnaslingan Woods, Kiltiernan Dublin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0434.JPG (1.46 MB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0435.JPG (1.70 MB, 97 views)
(3) thanks from:
21-05-2017, 15:46   #699
Slogger Jogger

Okay not a photo, but worth a look nonetheless. Spectacular footage of an exceeding difficult climb.
Drove footage of yesterdays race on Donard which doubled as a trial race for selection of runners for the Irish team for the Euros I think.

https://irunovermountains.com/2017/0...drone-footage/
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-10-2017, 12:46   #701
opus

Was trying to imagine yesterday what this will be like if they actually get permission to build the massively tall building there (just by the sign on the left)!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171005_180346_HDR.jpg (219.8 KB, 869 views)
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2017, 12:44   #702
Slideways

Just love running on the trails..

(3) thanks from:
02-03-2018, 17:09   #703

Tackling a hill this morning.

(7) thanks from:
07-03-2018, 20:37   #704
Slogger Jogger

Hard to run when the trail is 1 metre plus under snow drifts. Annagh hill.

08-03-2018, 16:43   #705
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
I've a few places I'd run.

Phoenix Park, Howth Cliffs, Dollymount [Bull Island] but my fav is Portmarnock beach ~ The Velvet Strand with my dog Richo.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion