Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BDGP selection

Options
  • 04-02-2018 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

See you can select your animals for DNA testing now.
    I had to change 2 of mine as I plan on selling fairly soon after herd test. It was strangely easy to do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I had to change one of mine as it's dead. :cool:

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Deferred ours last year and still had to change some. Saw it by chance last night and deferred it again, calvings only starting and hoping to have some 4/5star heifers out of this lot so want to tag them rather than some of the beef animals they had selected that won’t be here by the time tags arrive.

How do you defer? Do you have to ring them?
    I dont see anything on the letter they sent about deferring.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

You can ring them i think or you can click the defer box on icbf.com if you have herd-plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

You don't even need herdplus. Log onto the ICBF website and go to the heading Services, then BD & GP like below.
    7bezudGh.jpg

Then you'll see this box with Genotype Information and click on the Self-Selection link. I ccan't show the next bit as we've not enough born yet to be able to select different ones but you should be able to figure it out! The defer button is fairly easy to spot too.

nYKyiclh.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

As lady haywire said you have to do it on icbf website. You need to be on the desktop version if logging in off a phone to do it. When you go onto the self selection tab the deferral button is more or less 2/3 of the way over the page in the little bit of writing at the top, click it and it’ll defer you until the 2nd of April

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Cheers for that reminder. I deferred mine because half were bulls and I don't want to waste money genotyping bull calves that will be gone in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

croot wrote: »
    Cheers for that reminder. I deferred mine because half were bulls and I don't want to waste money genotyping bull calves that will be gone in a few months.

Did the same, found I was genotyping females last year that I had no intention of breeding from, just to make the reference number

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I bought a couple of heifer calves with no recorded sires so testing them in the hope of finding out who their daddy is

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

What happens if you buy something in, test it, and find out previous owner registered the mother/father wrong does it draw trouble on the original owner, myself or is there just no consequences. Not in the scheme but if I sold one registered in the wrong would there be any fall back on me???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I bought a couple of heifer calves with no recorded sires so testing them in the hope of finding out who their daddy is

Order a genomic test, if there’s something on the database
    Even if they can’t find the daddy, we’ve a tested cow with unknown sire & €180 value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What happens if you buy something in, test it, and find out previous owner registered the mother/father wrong does it draw trouble on the original owner, myself or is there just no consequences. Not in the scheme but if I sold one registered in the wrong would there be any fall back on me???
    Don’t think there’s any comeback, we’d a good few with wrong sires.
    PB would be a different story

Should you not try to be as accurate as possible, even if it is the neighbors bull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Even if they can’t find the daddy, we’ve a tested cow with unknown sire & €180 value
    But I get it done for free this way

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Happened to me. No consequence for the original owner but for me a three star cow that dropped from 5*. In fairness it was before the screens in the mart were put in. If you bought one that was declared as five star because of the sire and then was found not to be I'd say you can demand a refund because the animal was not as advertised.

I bought a PB Lim cow in the local mart. Only announced as Purebred and in calf. Got her genotyped and her stars dropped as her sire was wrong on her cert. Both her sire and originally listed sire were both Dovea bulls. She's softening up to calf again at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Same, bought a lovely second calver last year, limxsim, she had no stars. No sire recorded. I tested her and she came back at €170 and %25 montbeliarde. She has loads of milk and puts plenty into the calf. Quiet as s lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Should you not try to be as accurate as possible, even if it is the neighbors bull

100%agree with you. It was not me. I was buying one off farm that the owner was open about and told me she was wrong, had two calf's born the same day, out of two different Al bulls and got them back to front. I still bought her as she was a craicing weanling. I'm not in icbf or bdgp, so it doesn't make a hole lot of difference to me, it was just if I was selling her on again I was wondering about consequences for original farmer if someone got her gernomic tested

I changed all of mine to bullocks and heifers i'll be selling later this year and not do the heifers i'll be keeping for replacements. I'll have a reserve of heifers to genotype built up for future years if i cut back cow numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    I changed all of mine to bullocks and heifers i'll be selling later this year and not do the heifers i'll be keeping for replacements. I'll have a reserve of heifers to genotype built up for future years if i cut back cow numbers.

How many are you palnning on getting out of in the next 2 years?

Not planning on cutting back but sure you never know what might go wrong or happen.
    Just think its no harm to have as many animals as possible for genotyping.

• Advertisement

Jusr deferred mine there till 2 April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Same, bought a lovely second calver last year, limxsim, she had no stars. No sire recorded. I tested her and she came back at €170 and %25 montbeliarde. She has loads of milk and puts plenty into the calf. Quiet as s lamb.
    Limousin x Montbeliarde is one of the best suckler cows you could have. They'd calve anything and have loads of milk.

Limousin x Montbeliarde is one of the best suckler cows you could have. They'd calve anything and have loads of milk.
    +1
    Have one here. Everything you'd want in a suckler cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

+1
    Have one here. Everything you'd want in a suckler cow.

Have one here. Cracked,bad calf, poor milk...
    Might not be representative though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm still getting badgered by my farm supplies salesman here to buy a lim bull for the cows. I sold him 5 lim x Monty/montyx red heifer calves 10 years ago.
    Calving ease and gestation are the only things stopping me going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 farming101

Sorry to jump in here lads but does anyone know the how accurate the predicted starts are compared to actual? I sent samples away at end of November and genomic eval still isn't complete. When I generate reports on the website it has only DNA received beside ones that were sampled. Looking to sell a few heifers and obviously don't want to get rid of 4/5 star stock. Can anyone give me an estimate on how long the whole process takes? Thaanks

farming101 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here lads but does anyone know the how accurate the predicted starts are compared to actual? I sent samples away at end of November and genomic eval still isn't complete. When I generate reports on the website it has only DNA received beside ones that were sampled. Looking to sell a few heifers and obviously don't want to get rid of 4/5 star stock. Can anyone give me an estimate on how long the whole process takes? Thaanks

The predicted stars will be much the same as the actual stars as long as the dam and sire of the heifer stays the same.
    The DNA testing just confirms the heifers ancestry. I wouldnt rely totally on the stars when picking which ones you're going to keep. Use your own knowledge of them and how you think theyll turn out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 farming101

Thanks tanko! I am all for science to help improve farming but to be honest Im a little skeptical of the whole thing. Some of my best performing cows are only rated 3 stars whilst it seems anything from a dairy background are 5 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭High bike

Thanks tanko! I am all for science to help improve farming but to be honest Im a little skeptical of the whole thing. Some of my best performing cows are only rated 3 stars whilst it seems anything from a dairy background are 5 stars.
    Everyone's in the same boat, but if u enlist u have to soldier on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That's due to milk in the background. There's a huge weighing put on milk as it's the biggest driver of calf growth rates

Advertisement