Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-01-2018, 10:14   #2611
Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Quote:
MORE THAN 300 top women in Hollywood from Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence to Emma Thompson and Cate Blanchett, unveiled an initiative to tackle pervasive sexual harassment in workplaces, calling special attention to their “sisters” in less than glamorous blue-collar jobs.

The initiative, dubbed Time’s Up, caps a year in which the Harvey Weinstein sexual misconduct scandal touched off a deluge of allegations that brought down powerful men in entertainment, politics and the media, prompting companies, government agencies and even the US federal court system to reexamine harassment policies.

But in an open letter printed in The New York Times, the new initiative lends the star power of its A-list members to the cause of women in less prominent fields, urging support and respect for farmworkers and others whose humble positions leave them vulnerable and voiceless.
https://www.thejournal.ie/sexual-har...76865-Jan2018/

Hmmm. A genuine attempt to highlight sexual harassment in 'blue collar' jobs, or a cynical attempt to distract from the rotten core of Hollywood, and at the same time rebuilt their damaged images as saviours of the sisterhood?

This is so cute, celebrities pretending to care about the little people.

To paraphrase Sally Field: "We like you. We really, really like you!"
Advertisement
02-01-2018, 12:56   #2612
Christy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest lickspittle on boardz View Post
Quote:
MORE THAN 300 top women in Hollywood from Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence to Emma Thompson and Cate Blanchett, unveiled an initiative to tackle pervasive sexual harassment in workplaces, calling special attention to their “sisters” in less than glamorous blue-collar jobs.

The initiative, dubbed Time’s Up, caps a year in which the Harvey Weinstein sexual misconduct scandal touched off a deluge of allegations that brought down powerful men in entertainment, politics and the media, prompting companies, government agencies and even the US federal court system to reexamine harassment policies.

But in an open letter printed in The New York Times, the new initiative lends the star power of its A-list members to the cause of women in less prominent fields, urging support and respect for farmworkers and others whose humble positions leave them vulnerable and voiceless.

Hmmm. A genuine attempt to highlight sexual harassment in 'blue collar' jobs, or a cynical attempt to distract from the rotten core of Hollywood, and at the same time rebuilt their damaged images as saviours of the sisterhood?

Why are so obsessed with hating these people? Really they are not the ones who have come off the most damaged from all the revealed sexual assaults. But hey let's assume the worst about these people who have not done anything that bad right?

I mean it was a lot of these people who complaining about the rotten core of Hollywood so it seems unlikely they want to distract from it.
02-01-2018, 16:59   #2613

Quote:
It might be a cynical PR stunt, but it's not wrong that we should remember the ordinary men and women who put up with sexual harassment in the workplace.

This New York Times article on women working for Ford is good. Those who managed to come forward were blamed for people being reprimanded. Some have said that if they'd known what they'd have to put up with for reporting, they'd have kept their mouths shut. It shows a real toxic environment.

I'd like to think that in Ireland things wouldn't be as bad or as endemic because we have much stronger protection for employees, but what do I know? I'm lucky enough to work in a company where these things don't happen. I'm sure others aren't so lucky.
02-01-2018, 20:29   #2614
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:

This does seem cynical, in that these ladies will still defend woody Allen or Polanski, with no care for their victims. All because they chase a trophy.
And the 'she knew' thing still rings in my mind.

I'm not buying this. Sorry if thats the cynic in me.
02-01-2018, 20:54   #2615
Candie

I don't really care what their motivation is. They get suspicion if they do something, condemnation if they do nothing, so on balance I'd rather they did something.

Even if it's a calculated, cynical move motivated by poor public perception in the wake of Polanski or Weinstein or whoever, if it improves conditions for the relatively powerless women who have no power or clout or recognizable names, then I'm all for it.

Sure it'd be lovely to think everyone acted out of selfless altruism, but I don't care that much if it garners results that make it a safer industry for women behind the scenes.
Advertisement
02-01-2018, 22:41   #2616
JP Liz V1

Rose McGowan will star in a new five part documentary series titled Citizen Rose on E
Thanks from:
02-01-2018, 23:30   #2617
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
Rose McGowan will star in a new five part documentary series titled Citizen Rose on E
Thats not a good idea...not while she's under investigation for drugs. And her mental state rn is worrying.
Thanks from:
03-01-2018, 16:23   #2618
Rjd2

Paul Sovrino whose daughter was blacklisted speaks.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/948567605765427201
03-01-2018, 16:41   #2619
Outlaw Pete

In the fucking oven head first!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2018, 19:52   #2620
RabbleRouser2k

http:// https://www.nytimes.com/2018...imes&smtyp=cur

Meryls deflection is actually embarassing now.

http:// https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/948592818897018880?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

I don't care what Melania says, she was 4 years old when when Meryl was acting. She's not a part of Hollywood.
03-01-2018, 21:26   #2621
marienbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbleRouser2k View Post

I don't care what Melania says, she was 4 years old when when Meryl was acting. She's not a part of Hollywood.
So what ?
03-01-2018, 22:50   #2622
Outlaw Pete

That interview is incredulous. She says she wants to hear about the silence of Melania Trump and then goes on to excuse her own silence because she doesn't want to ruin anyone's "mature life".
04-01-2018, 01:09   #2623
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post
That interview is incredulous. She says she wants to hear about the silence of Melania Trump and then goes on to excuse her own silence because she doesn't want to ruin anyone's "mature life".
But is happy to denounce Trump, Walt Disney and promote Maggie Thatcher...

She's clueless.
04-01-2018, 01:12   #2624
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by marienbad View Post
So what ?
Read the article. Her hypocrisy is incredible.
(4) thanks from:
04-01-2018, 01:18   #2625
retro:electro
Banned

Gosh. Have you ever read such highfalutin shlte in all your life. Why is the silence of Malania more significant than hers?

Interviewer: Do you want to go into specifics?

STREEP No, no, I don’t. I mean, I was really beaten up, but I don’t want to ruin somebody’s mature life. I just don’t. I do think if the world is going to go on, we have to find out a way to work together....

.... but just don't come looking to me for answers to the questions, right Meryl?
Trump obsessed deflective weirdo.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion