Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Just a reminder. The coin fair is on in the RDS today, Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Just a reminder. The coin fair is on in the RDS today, Saturday and Sunday.

Yes and the Central Bank has a stand but is not selling sets.!!!!!

sceach16 wrote: »
    Yes and the Central Bank has a stand but is not selling sets.!!!!!

That's right. the stall is only for the purpose of viewing their coins. Any orders have to be placed through the Collector coins website. https://www.collectorcoins.ie/

They are however offering free postage on any coins bought over the weekend.

Seems like a really stupid idea to me though. They get a good amount of passing trade and once off sales from non collectors at the fair because the 'Over 50s Expo' crowd that are passing by. I can't imagine many of them signing on to the website and setting up an account just to buy a coin as a once off impulse purchase.

Also what abut the coin fair sets. They were money for nothing, they were charging 8 Euro for 3.88 worth of coins in a bag. But now they aren't bothering with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fantafanta

That makes no sense. Will they be giving out a discount code out that sets the postage to zero on any order? If it's generic it would be useful to post it here😀

fantafanta wrote: »
    That makes no sense. Will they be giving out a discount code out that sets the postage to zero on any order? If it's generic it would be useful to post it here��

The Central Bank do have a stall at the show. However they are NOT selling any coins at this stall. It is only for the purpose of viewing their coins. Any orders have to be placed through the Collector coins website. https://www.collectorcoins.ie/

They are however offering free postage on any coins bought over the weekend. They have a laptop there if you want to use it. In order to get free postage you need to choose your coins and then go to 'My Cart' at which point a black drop down list will show the coins you have purchased.
    At the bottom of that list you will see the option to 'View An Edit Cart', choose this.
    You will then be presented again with a list of the coins you have ordered. At the bottom of this list, on the left, is a box entitled Promotional Code. In this box enter 'POST' and press the validate button.
    This should apply a discount to your shipping. You may need to press the Update button on the right side of the screen to actually change the total.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Also what abut the coin fair sets. They were money for nothing, they were charging 8 Euro for 3.88 worth of coins in a bag. But now they aren't bothering with them either.

Hi guys, I've been out of action for the past two months, was sick for a while and have now just got out of hospital after six weeks. On a slow recovery with a few more operations ahead me :(

Anyway, they did have the coin fair sets this year for dealers, not sure if they offered them to the public at the fair as I missed it. They were 10 Euro this year!

Blade wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been out of action for the past two months, was sick for a while and have now just got out of hospital after six weeks. On a slow recovery with a few more operations ahead me :(

Anyway, they did have the coin fair sets this year for dealers, not sure if they offered them to the public at the fair as I missed it. They were 10 Euro this year!

No. They had no coin fair sets.They had no nothing! Not selling any CB sets. U could order post free but going to a coin fair and not selling ??????.

I will stop now in case I depress U. Best to you in health terms..:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

sceach16 wrote: »
    No. They had no coin fair sets.

Not for the public but they were available to dealers on pre-order.

To be released tomorrow, issue limit of just 2,000

434822.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

To be released tomorrow, issue limit of just 2,000

Any price, tho tbh don't like the look of it

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Any price, tho tbh don't like the look of it

60 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Has anyone been able to purchase this coin on the collectorcoins site? I keep getting page not found and its not showing up in the shop ? Any thoughts?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Has anyone been able to purchase this coin on the collectorcoins site? I keep getting page not found and its not showing up in the shop ? Any thoughts?

It's not available until the 7th, and there was an issue on their website earlier (the link wasn't working) - I sent them an email, and it seems to be fixed now: https://www.collectorcoins.ie/en/15-silver-proof-jonathan-swift-coin.html/

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Thanks Spocker for clarifying that
    To be released tomorrow

I had mixed up the statement above stating release to being on sale :)

Will this sell quickly? Still not sure if I like the look of it

fantafanta wrote: »
    Will this sell quickly? Still not sure if I like the look of it

If recent coins and prices are anything to go by, probably not.

I'll only be picking it up to keep the collection complete unfortunately, it won't be because I like it :(

My understanding is that there will be a Bram Stoker Dracula silver coin and a europa iron and glass themed silver coin next year. Besides these and the annual mint set is there any more coins from the central bank next year?

The Ha'Penny Bridge coin was the Europa coin for 'Iron and Glass'. The theme for 2018 is 'Baroque and Rococo'. 2019 is 'Renaissance'. 2020 is 'Gothic'. The Bram Stoker coin was supposed to come out this year but was delayed until next year. I haven't heard anything about any others yet. I'm guessing there may be another coin in the 'Irish Science and Inventions' series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Trachycarpus

Greetings all, first I would like to compliment and thank DMcL1971 for starting this thread.
    I only recently came across it and it really is a mine of information.
    Just wondering if anyone has heard about Central Bank coin issues for 2018.
    Normally would have been at least an annual mint set issue by now??
    Thanks.

Greetings all, first I would like to compliment and thank DMcL1971 for starting this thread.
    I only recently came across it and it really is a mine of information.
    Just wondering if anyone has heard about Central Bank coin issues for 2018.
    Normally would have been at least an annual mint set issue by now??
    Thanks.
    +1 for that!

Heres a link for the 2018 programme, the annual set is available at the end of this month: https://www.collectorcoins.ie/en/2018-coin-programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Trachycarpus

Hi Spocker,

many thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

Can you still pick up coins from the new Central Bank location or is it now all mail order?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Can you still pick up coins from the new Central Bank location or is it now all mail order?

All Mail Order

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

Doesn't seem to include a Europa coin this year...

Due out in September. First of a three coin series. Issue limit 3,000.

456075.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

These limits are getting smaller and smaller

Gonna pass
    Limits getting smaller probably because they're not selling like they used to

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

They’re not selling because the central bank go out of their way to make purchasing them a pain. Where would you see it a collector unit going to a coin fair and not bothering to sell the coins at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sirdeclan

See on the website where they have reduced the prices of past coins. Surely that's a kick in the a..e for people who paid full whack for them. Unless coins are expected to sell out sure there's no incentive to buy them when they are released at all.

• Advertisement

Are you sure? The price of coins has gone up a lot over the years. What coins in particular have been reduced in price?

Advertisement