Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New wiper linkage arm rubbing/scraping

Options
  • 11-06-2017 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Car failed NCT on worn wiper linkage. Received new wiper linkage arms today and went out replacing worn ones (ball joints gone).

Put the whole thing back into the car and the driver's side linkage arm (longer one) is scraping and rubbing off the panel just beneath it. It's like the arm is too flat and not "arched" enough in the centre to give it clearance. On a positive note the wipers work properly now but there is a horrible scraping noise of metal against metal from the arm.

Best of course of action? I'm thinking bend arm or file away at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If they are the right arms you've fitted them incorrectly.
    Check you haven't fitted one of them below rather than above adjoining links,or upside down etc...
    You shouldn't have to resort to bending them!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could be that there are different wipers to go with different linkages?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you compare the old arm with the new arms?
    If you refit the old arms do they work (not scrape)?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I believe I have fitted them correctly - the manufacturer of them has a step by step YouTube video and I replaced the arms in the same way as I took the old ones off.

The old ones are fit for the bin so can't even put back on to test anyway - ball joints are completely worn away.

Upon reading the reviews of the arms from Amazon (where I got them) someone noted that they had to bend one of the arms slightly to clear the bodywork - my exact issue. X8R X8R0032 Wiper Motor Linkage Repair Replacement Rod Set Repair https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T7Q1YPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nOspzbC56F8AY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Is the long arm on upside down?

Edit: Just saw your post about the amazon comments.

• Advertisement

Well wipers are working perfectly fine now - before they would end up stuck half way up the windscreen if it wasn't raining enough or if raining normally or heavy they would smack the cowling...

Will have to take linkage out again and either bend arm or file it down a bit I think.

Though I reckon as is it'll pass NCT?? Clearing window perfectly in essentially PWO...

Passed NCT this morning. Replacement arms arrived so will fit and see if any difference.

Advertisement