Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else sick of "Don't complain because Homeless people/People in aleppo"

Options
  • 22-12-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭

Every comment I see on facebook and on here increasingly is "Why is this published when there is people suffering in aleppo" "Why should we build a road when there is homeless people" "Don't complain because the people in aleppo have it worse than you"

Should we all just stop our daily lives and wallow in misery at the hardship homeless people and the poor citizens of Aleppo have to endure?

I do feel sorry for these people and support the organisations trying to sort out these situations, but I feel its been taken too extreme now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's some kind of natural law that people who post 'first world problems/things are much worse in ABC' will also be moaning about their own insignificant problems somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

TBH I don't think the people in Aleppo have worse broadband than I do. Goddamn Eircom. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

osarusan wrote: »
    It's some kind of natural law that people who post 'first world problems/things are much worse in ABC' will also be moaning about their own insignificant problems somewhere else.
    Nice for them to have somewhere else to complain.

You know where else the wains starving in Biafra have to complain?

Nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Where is the road being built

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Not in my back yard anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've seen this argument being used against the current M18/M17 that's being built and the proposed M20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

DrumSteve wrote: »
    TBH I don't think the people in Aleppo have worse broadband than I do. Goddamn Eircom. :mad:

Shocking here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wales apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

It's a disgrace Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Not a new phenomenon. The ethiopian famine in the '80s garnered similar feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Some people seem to think room is available for refugees but the homeless in society in ROI don't seem to be able to find that room, which preferably has a bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Some people seem to think room is available for refugees but the homeless in society in ROI don't seem to be able to find that room, which preferably has a bed.

There is lots of room in certain parts of the country but a significant portion of the "homeless" won't move out of the city centres. I saw "homeless" as the front page of my local paper this week had a homeless woman and her kids not given a council house. She lives in her mothers house so isn't homeless as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People in Aleppo would love to be homeless in Ireland right now. It's all relative, joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

You could be homeless in aleppo, that's definitely worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

petrolcan wrote: »
    Not a new phenomenon. The ethiopian famine in the '80s garnered similar feelings.

Was that where the Irish mammies got the "you didn't finish your dinner and children starving in Africa" I wonder? :pac:

In regards to the OP, tell them there has always been war or famine somewhere else in the world if we stopped to worry about every incident like it we'd never be able to get out of the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's useful for ideologues because they can safely undermine others and assume a moral high ground or 'win' while safely skirting any difficulties re: addressing the point at hand.

For example, rather than discuss a particular atrocity to hand, immediately throw in a reference to drone deaths. Not that you give a rattling sh1te about some Iraqui villager or ever actually do any constructive about it, but you 'win' so jobs oxo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Great news from Aleppo, all the terrorist rebels have been removed and it is now in full government control.

So it could be worse in Aleppo.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Was that where the Irish mammies got the "you didn't finish your dinner and children starving in Africa" I wonder? :pac:

That's the one.

The usual retort was 'post them the leftovers then' which tended to be met with a threat of the wooden spoon or the back of a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Being grateful for what you have is good for you mentally and psychologically plus an attitude of me me me is a horrible way to live.

Advertisement