Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who knows Lucan well

• 03-11-2020 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

I am looking for a house below 350k and I have 2 options to consider. Can you please share some insight about the areas? Is it safe for a non Irish young family?

A. Colthurst Road, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    B. Mount Argus Crescent, Harold's Cross, Co. Dublin

Additionally, most of the options are in Lucan and on the below streets. Can anyone help if someone know Lucan well then they can tell me the streets which are worth investing and living.

I plan to stay in the house for 5 years and then will try to either sell or rent the house. Preferably selling. So please consider if it's easy to sell or rent at these streets.

1. Fforster Lawn, Ballydowd Manor, Lucan
    2. Liffey Crescent, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    3. Castle Riada Drive, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    4. Griffeen Glen Crescent, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    5. Foxborough Grove, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    6. Castle Riada Avenue, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    7. Moy Glas Road, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    8. Liffey Rise, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    9. Abbeydale Rise, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    10. Earlsfort Park, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    11. Shackelton Park, Lucan

Can you please guide.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Avoid Foxborough and Earlsfort for starters. A Google search will bring up plenty of court cases and incidents. I lived in another part of Griffeen Glen for a 4 years, liked it but definitely some of the roads are better than others. Personally I'm not a fan of the green beside Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bb220

Caranica wrote: »
    Avoid Foxborough and Earlsfort for starters. A Google search will bring up plenty of court cases and incidents. I lived in another part of Griffeen Glen for a 4 years, liked it but definitely some of the roads are better than others. Personally I'm not a fan of the green beside Crescent.

Hi, thanks. Do you have any feedback about Colthurst Road, Lucan, Co. Dublin?

bb220 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am looking for a house below 350k and I have 2 options to consider. Can you please share some insight about the areas? Is it safe for a non Irish young family?

Additionally, most of the options are in Lucan and on the below streets. Can anyone help if someone know Lucan well then they can tell me the streets which are worth investing and living.

I plan to stay in the house for 5 years and then will try to either sell or rent the house. Preferably selling. So please consider if it's easy to sell or rent at these streets.

Can you please guide.

Regards

Hi, can we get more insight I am sure many ppl will be knowing Lucan.

Hi, can we get more insight I am sure many ppl will be knowing Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

Shackleton Park would be in the best location of all of those in my opinion - close to mature estates and not too far from the village etc. Seems to be a nice family friendly area and haven't heard of any antisocial behaviour there.
    I'm not very familiar with the others so can't comment on how safe they'd be.

• Advertisement

I am interested in a house at Colthurst Road, Lucan, Co. Dublin. Its ranged at 340k and is nicely done 3 bed mid terrace next to the Ballyowen Shopping centre and the LIDL can be seen from the house but the house lane is walled from the shopping complex.

I want to know if the location is safe for a non Irish young family. As we intend to live in the house for few years and then sell or rent the house to a family. Do you think it is a safe location?

I thank you in advance if you can share your experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Threads merged.

bb220, please don't start multiple threads to ask the same question.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mount Argus is the best bet. Close to the city, near Rathmines etc. Would be great for resale or rental too IMO.

Lucan village is a lovely spot but terrible for parking and when schools empty or begin.... forget it. It is just houses after houses after houses. I know the place, my late mother lived there in Beech Park.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Hi there,

Can you please guide.

Regards

I've been in shackleton from phase 1. Great community, no issues outside of the normal stuff. We've recently had a Lidl open in the estate also. The quality of the houses is good, and any issues I've had were dealt with quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I am interested in a house at Colthurst Road, Lucan, Co. Dublin. Its ranged at 340k and is nicely done 3 bed mid terrace next to the Ballyowen Shopping centre and the LIDL can be seen from the house but the house lane is walled from the shopping complex.

I want to know if the location is safe for a non Irish young family. As we intend to live in the house for few years and then sell or rent the house to a family. Do you think it is a safe location?

I thank you in advance if you can share your experience.

I know the area well and would say that it is safe for you, absolutely. There are other factors that you should consider, for one the shops attract an amount of antisocial behaviour like any would in a densely populated area. For there in particular, the local teenage street traders tend to gather over behind the pay as you go laundry which would be close to the wall separating the shops and estate. Traffic can build up on the road outside particularly towards the shops/traffic lights as it is very poorly laid out. The shopping complex attracts more traffic than the lights system can cope with.

• Advertisement

Vikings wrote: »
    I know the area well and would say that it is safe for you, absolutely. There are other factors that you should consider, for one the shops attract an amount of antisocial behaviour like any would in a densely populated area. For there in particular, the local teenage street traders tend to gather over behind the pay as you go laundry which would be close to the wall separating the shops and estate. Traffic can build up on the road outside particularly towards the shops/traffic lights as it is very poorly laid out. The shopping complex attracts more traffic than the lights system can cope with.

Hi @Vikings, thanks. What do you suggest about Fforester Park? I am getting a 2 bed at 267k. The house overlooks a green belt and then the main road and lidl can be seen from the house. Is that something which will be safe for an Asian, and rentability and selling in few years?

Your answer will be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Hi @Vikings, thanks. What do you suggest about Fforester Park? I am getting a 2 bed at 267k. The house overlooks a green belt and then the main road and lidl can be seen from the house. Is that something which will be safe for an Asian, and rentability and selling in few years?

Your answer will be helpful.

For rentability, the 2 options that were disputed might be among the best, reasonably sized houses and a number of access roads to different directions, mostly semi detached. Terraced can be a bit restrictive, as can only a 2 bed for renting, depends, may just be as well to sell though as renting isn't all its cut out to be from a landlords perspective. I wouldnt have thought Earlsfort is terrible and Foxborough is large enough, mostly ok, wouldnt say there is much anti social behaviour from within, some, probably no more than other areas. There does seem to be a gathering of questionable looking young people hanging around the shops near colthurst, otherwise Id have thought Colthurst is ok also. I would say a diverse background of owners/occupants, so from the perspective of not originally being Irish, Id say no problems at all.
    There are probably nicer areas, but its fairly well catered for in terms of schools and facilities, meant to be a swimming pool being built, but there is a good one near in Clondalkin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Harolds cross would be much better than any of the lucan estates.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Harolds cross would be much better than any of the lucan estates.

As built up as Lucan is, its still suburban, not sure what facilities there are for kids in Harolds Cross and depending on the particular location, I wouldnt say that it is a great place for young kids, ie very built up, lots of traffic AND it depends on where the OP might be travelling to and from, Id say Harolds Cross might be nicer if you can get a nice property, but they wouldnt come cheap, so for the same price, Id hazard a guess you'd get a lot less, and possibly not in a as modern a condition regarding electrics etc, Traffic is pretty bad anywhere in Dublin, but even in Lucan its only localised to certain bottlenecks (exept at peak when its busy everywhere), I cant imagine Harolds cross is better, and Id think it is much worse for traffic.
    Id say Harolds Cross (specific location dependant) might be better for someone without a young growing family, plenty of facilities at/near Lucan, or easily accessible in a car, and reasonably well catered fro in terms of buses.
    Some of the places the OP mentioned will be nicer than others, Id say most have a fairly diverse background or no concerns of that kind of thing, so no issues there, but Id think Lucan might cater for a younger family better, thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Lucan is lovely area for kids- lots of sports, parks etc. From your list I'd put fforster Lawn quite high- nice estate- v active residents association- nice location.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The line of estates West of the Penny Hill/Ballyowen road are all good estates. East of that road you have to be more careful.

Harold's cross - I dunno, I always thought it pretty grim. The commute is a disadvantage for Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lithi

Hi there,

Can you please guide.

Regards

Hi, I'm buying a house in Griffen Glen, but before that, we visited many estates around the area.

We are also a non irish family and we viewed houses in most of these estates from your list and what I can say is that all views had plenty of people and prices were always going up. Honestly, we were more interested in houses on the left side of Penny Hill heading to the village 1,3,4,6,7, I think there are safer, but If we would find a nice house in any other estates we would consider also.

I liked Colthurst seems to be a mature estate but the house I viewed was close to the pub at the corner and I would not take that risk.

Fforster is a good estate, I just felt that the estate is small and there is not enough space on the street for parking.

Earlsfort, the house I viewed was old, the estate is huge but I did not like the fact that was close to balgaddy, however, I would give a try if I would find a nice house for a good price at the end of the estate.

Shackelton houses are too close to each other and the streets are narrow.

Good luck

Lithi wrote: »
    Hi, I'm buying a house in Griffen Glen, but before that, we visit many states around the area.

We are also a non irish family and we viewed houses in most of these estates from your list and what I can say is that all views had plenty of people and prices were always going up. Honestly, we were more interested in houses on the left side of Penny Hill heading to the village 1,3,4,6,7, but If we would find a nice house and we would like other estates we would consider them also.

I liked Colthurst seems to be a mature estate but the house I viewed was close to the pub at the corner and I would not take that risk.

Fforster is a good estate, I just felt that the estate is small and there is not enough space on the street for parking.

Earlsfort, the house I viewed was old, the estate is huge but I did not like the fact that was close to balgaddy, however, I would give a try if I would find a nice house for a good price at the end of the estate.

Shackelton houses are too close to each other and the streets are narrow.

Good luck

Thats one thing about Shackelton, went to look and felt really tight for space, as far as I recal, almost not 2 lanes if even, 2 car spaces per house but right up onto the road, not sure there was even a path, felt claustrophobic,

Colthurst, far as I recalled the pub is as far from the estate as it could get, theres more activity at the shop end, where Id be more concerned about deliveries/bottle ban/kids hanging around, although that can happen anywhere.

In general, its very central to get anywhere nearby and within Dublin and to anywhere via N7/N4 to anywhere, plenty of any kind of retail that might be needed, schools, library.

1874 wrote: »
    Thats one thing about Shackelton, went to look and felt really tight for space, as far as I recal, almost not 2 lanes if even, 2 car spaces per house but right up onto the road, not sure there was even a path, felt claustrophobic,

Colthurst, far as I recalled the pub is as far from the estate as it could get, theres more activity at the shop end, where Id be more concerned about deliveries/bottle ban/kids hanging around, although that can happen anywhere.

In general, it's very central to get anywhere nearby and within Dublin and to anywhere via N7/N4 to anywhere, plenty of any kind of retail that might be needed, schools, library.

Yes, indeed the house in Colthurst was close to the shop and I had the same concern as you.I would consider a house in the middle of the estate.I also did not like the amount of rubbish on the street outside the estate, but I think it is an issue in whole Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lithi wrote: »

Earlsfort I would avoid, second only to Foxborough. High levels of rentals and not the type you'd want to live near. Close to Balgaddy is not the worst thing about it. Earlsfort would also have a Clondalkin address were it not for the efforts of a deceased FF TD who was "very interested" in planning and developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭yoke

i bought in Foxborough after living in Rossberry and they're very similar estates. IMO both are great, never any trouble with neighbours etc. I also have a friend in Earlsfort and that's a lovely estate too. East of Foxborough/Earlsfort is a bit dodgy, and Ballyowen Park isn't really safe at night either.

Foxborough (Balgaddy) houses are a bargain compared to the nearby Griffeen estates such as Rossberry, because you're getting closer to the bad areas (compared to Griffeen), but the estate itself is lovely, and overall quite similar to the Griffeen estates.

yoke wrote: »
    i bought in Foxborough after living in Rossberry and they're very similar estates. IMO both are great, never any trouble with neighbours etc. I also have a friend in Earlsfort and that's a lovely estate too. East of Foxborough/Earlsfort is a bit dodgy, and Ballyowen Park isn't really safe at night either.

Foxborough (Balgaddy) houses are a bargain compared to the nearby Griffeen estates such as Rossberry, because you're getting closer to the bad areas (compared to Griffeen), but the estate itself is lovely, and overall quite similar to the Griffeen estates.

I also think that bad people in the areas (Foxborough/Earlsfort) are leaving,there are plenty of new couples starting a new life and looking to buy house in these estates and I hope situation will get better over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mdisk

As a landlord I have rented a property to a family in Earlsfort for over 10 years. I have never heard them complain about the neighbourhood. They keep their house well. It seems fine to me anytime i have been there. Would happily live there myself

mdisk wrote: »
    As a landlord I have rented a property to a family in Earlsfort for over 10 years. I have never heard them complain about the neighbourhood. They keep their house well. It seems fine to me anytime i have been there. Would happily live there myself

Yes it is a nice estate as well, but the amount of rubbish in the area is shocking...seems that council is not investing in campaing against littering neither cleaning the area

Advertisement