Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any else happy that there is no sports coverage?

• 14-04-2020 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Finally some respite from all the nonsense and constant chatter about Rugby, GAA, Soccer and all the stats, what players are injured, what diet they're on, how many away points they need, how many games they won at home vs away games, the players confidence, how many yards or wtf they covered in 90 mins.

Are the people who avidly follow this rubbish having a type of mid life crisis where they realise how meaningless all this stuff is and now that there is this massive void in their life how much time they've been wasting or are they so lumpen that they will just mullock through life waiting for the next away game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Yeah, everyone talking about covid-19, number of infected, number of deaths, lockdown is so much more interesting than sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Sport is fer qwares.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭JPCN1

God, I'd love to watch competitive anything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

If United sign Kane like I'll back him, I'm just concerned about his injury record tbh. Him and Pogba would be the guts of a million a week in wages hanging out together in the physio room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Are the people who avidly follow this rubbish having a type of mid life crisis where they realise how meaningless all this stuff is and now that there is this massive void in their life how much time they've been wasting or are they so lumpen that they will just mullock through life waiting for the next away game?

I'd much rather be looking forward to the Champions League game that was due to be played tonight rather than this nightly gather around the TV to see the announcement of how many deaths there's been in the past 24hrs

41 was today

• Advertisement

More concerned that home&away and fair city are no longer being recorded

I’d love to see Italia 90 from qualifying up until final game Ireland played in the World Cup. Would RTÉ have all of those games archived?

The programme a few weeks back about Jackie Charlton was great and watching those games would put a smile on all our miserable faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

More concerned that home&away and fair city are no longer being recorded

Start watching them from season 1 episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I’d love to see Italia 90 from qualifying up until final game Ireland played in the World Cup. Would RTÉ have all of those games archived?

The programme a few weeks back about Jackie Charlton was great and watching those games would put a smile on all our miserable faces.

I'd hope they skip over the Egypt game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Why would you be happy though? It doesn't bother me either way

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'd hope they skip over the Egypt game.

Can’t remember but I’m guessing they lost.

Could you imagine telling all your kids that Ireland are trying to get through to the World Cup in Italy. They’ve got a new squad of players, new manager. Then watch their little faces when Ireland qualify. Would they believe ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,912 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think ITV is going on show the 1996 euros. I know Ireland didn't qualify but it might plug a gap in the need for sports.

I'm missing the rugby. I look forward to it each weekend. Of course it doesn't really matter. Lots of things in life matter. My job, my family, the economy, the environment and pollution caused by Chinese industrialisation. Sport is great relief.

There's a bit in the intro to the Second Captains podcast from the time the interviewed Michael Parkinson about his days as a sports reporter. He says " sport is important because it's not war or famine, it's to remind us there's a world outside all that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I miss the actual sports but not the constant reporting of it.
    Too much analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Finally some respite from all the nonsense and constant chatter about Rugby, GAA, Soccer and all the stats, what players are injured, what diet they're on, how many away points they need, how many games they won at home vs away games, the players confidence, how many yards or wtf they covered in 90 mins.

The sheer petty mindedness of this is quite something. Imagine taking satisfaction from a singular relatively harmless aspect of life such as sport, being essentially nullified by an insidious historical shattering global pandemic, a once in a century event of disastrous consequences for so many people around the globe. Imagine being happy that others can no longer enjoy a pursuit as benign as sport simply because your perspective is so utterly devoid of empathy or humanity. Mind you, your post is so truly stupid as to be a particularly poor attempt at trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

If United sign Kane like I'll back him, I'm just concerned about his injury record tbh. Him and Pogba would be the guts of a million a week in wages hanging out together in the physio room.
    That wasn't the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

It’s fun to see the news struggling to fill the last few minutes tonights 6-1 was
    Leinster manager/ coach thinks they might be back training in May
    Some Galway hurler might not get to play again

Nope, though certain events like the Olympics are a welcome omission.

Sport is a great morale booster. Id watch more of the Olympics than World Cup games and it’s a real shame that the entire world doesn’t have that feel good boost this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Your Face wrote: »
    Too much analysis.

That’s the one. I’d watch sport all day, but the constant analysis, previews, post-mortems, and end of year reviews get tiresome. If any good comes of this it’s that Neil Francis has ran out of things to write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Your Face wrote: »
    Too much analysis.

This is exactly it.

I think this is what the OP was getting at, not that he takes enjoyment out of the fact ppl don't get to have their sport or that he thinks life is much better with a virus if it means no sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Yeah, everyone talking about covid-19, number of infected, number of deaths, lockdown is so much more interesting than sport.

So you’d prefer to bury your head in the sand and watch your favourite action hero run around a field chasing a ball?

Grow up.

So you’d prefer to bury your head in the sand and watch your favourite action hero run around a field chasing a ball?

Grow up.

You don’t need to be balls deep in the coverage of this though. A lot of it is perverse really.
    Once you keep up with the announcements of what’s expected of you then that’s all you need to know.

Grow up.

It’s not good for anybody’s mental health to be fixated on the virus news constantly. I’ve been following the outbreak since January/February and personally, I have to take a step back from it for periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

8-10 wrote: »
    I'd much rather be looking forward to the Champions League game that was due to be played tonight rather than this nightly gather around the TV to see the announcement of how many deaths there's been in the past 24hrs

41 was today

I don't think it's one or the other

AllForIt wrote: »
    This is exactly it.

I think this is what the OP was getting at, not that he takes enjoyment out of the fact ppl don't get to have their sport or that he thinks life is much better with a virus if it means no sport.

Yes, it’s the amount of time that people waste outside of the main event itself. The constant coverage and analysis, the endless office talk about which players are pulling their weight. Or the best one is when two rival supporters in the office start slagging each other over which team made and or lost money on the buying and selling of players. Football teams in another country whose players aren’t even from the same continent and they refer to themselves as “We”. “We bought him for €50m and him for €60 whereas You bought that fella for €40 but he was crap and you sold him for €10m.” These people would be better off researching the stock market than that fantasy football bs that they play.

Seriously, they need to get a life.

It’s not good for anybody’s mental health to be fixated on the virus news constantly. I’ve been following the outbreak since January/February and personally, I have to take a step back from it for periods of time.

Here we go with the mental health again. Ever thread and someone has to talk about mental health.

You don’t know what it means and you’re demeaning it’s value by over using it.

The term you’re really looking for is “having a bad day”.

I don't think it's one or the other

Still living in the past I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Don't worry when this is all over there will be 100 days of bread and games to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I miss football like you wouldn't believe.

I can never understand the attitude someone like you has; so you don't like sport, we get it. I don't like Brussels Sprouts but lots of other people do, so to each their own.

People like different stuff, interests are varied amongst people.

• Advertisement

Here we go with the mental health again. Ever thread and someone has to talk about mental health.

You don’t know what it means and you’re demeaning it’s value by over using it.

The term you’re really looking for is “having a bad day”.

You are really narky.

Advertisement