Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HSE redeployment of staff Coronavirus

• 11-03-2020 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Has anyone working in the HSE heard anything about the plans to redeploy staff in relation to Covid-19 support?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Has anyone working in the HSE heard anything about the plans to redeploy staff in relation to Covid-19 support?

It will happen. This is the biggest health crisis in the history of the state. Both front line and admin staff will have to be redeployed from what they are currently working on to this crisis. If the unions object or look for more money etc then public opinion will quickly turn savagely against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I haven’t heard it with hse staff, but I have heard it proposed with dept social and family affairs staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Only redeployment so far is admin staff to man call centres.

touts wrote: »
    ..... If the unions object or look for more money etc then public opinion will quickly turn savagely against them.

They'll undoubtedly look for some compensation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

There is plans in place and people ready to be redeployed, not many though so maybe one per office(admin only)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Yes i have heard off this but not in a negative way more so that if frontline staff etc are at risk that they be identified and moved positions of less risk ie if have serious underlying illnesses. No issues with unions etc as health care workers will do what’s needs to be done etc and will work together. If redeployment is needed for frontline workers there will be no issues, I can’t speak for clerical etc but from what I have seen I am sure there may be issues

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Work in admin myself and would be more than happy to help out where needed. I filled out a form detailing my workload/priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Work in admin myself and would be more than happy to help out where needed. I filled out a form detailing my workload/priorities.

Hi FSS,

Are you already on staff of HSE? And offering to move internally?
    I don't work for the HSE but did send an email the other day (to an info address) volunteering my time. I haven't heard anything back yet (edit: I'm sure they're inundated with work, now more so than ever).
    Can you share a better way for me to contact?

Thanks so much,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

My understanding is the unions are on board and anyone who refuses will be dealt with under the HSE grievance procedures. Have to say from talking to colleagues and we are community and non essential the overall majority in my building are happy to roll up their sleeves and do whatever is asked.
    touts wrote: »
    It will happen. This is the biggest health crisis in the history of the state. Both front line and admin staff will have to be redeployed from what they are currently working on to this crisis. If the unions object or look for more money etc then public opinion will quickly turn savagely against them.

There will be no compensation it is existing terms and conditions. My understanding from the circular it is compulsory temporary redeployment so you do not really have an option if requested. We were doing a exercise today identifying skills of our staff group as we would have a few nurses and other ex frontline staff. Who knows what will be required but I say in the shorter contact tracing but if and when thinks get hairy I say cleaning, portering or anything that is requested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

A sobering read about pregnancy and coronovirus.

https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/coronaviruses/

1st Trimester: Risk of miscarriage (50%) and birth defects.
    2nd and 3rd Trimester: Risk of early labour (approx. 30-40%), stillbirth (approx. 20%) and other complications like poor growth.

This is early days so many of the statistics are based on observations from a relatively small (Covid19-infected) population sample.
    Other stats are based on stronger relationships observed during similars viral outbreaks in the past, I.e. SARS and MERS.

My sisters, both of whom work in a face-to-face role with the HSE and are pregnant, are in complete limbo regarding current/expected working conditions.

There’s a lot of mention in the media about the vulnerability of elderly and immunocompromised citizens, but I’ve heard no mention made of the unborn child. I hope this gets discussed more and want to draw attention to the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Non-HSE civil servant here. Was asked today by my department to volunteer for redeployment to help on contact tracing in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

MrsBean wrote: »
    Non-HSE civil servant here. Was asked today by my department to volunteer for redeployment to help on contact tracing in the coming weeks.

Likewise

I am pretty certain pregnant mothers are a high risk group. Your sisters should contact their line manager to make alternative working arrangements and if not happy with the outcome go directly to occupational health or HR.
    Coralcoras wrote: »

2nd and 3rd Trimester: Risk of early labour (approx. 30-40%), stillbirth (approx. 20%) and other complications like poor growth.

This is early days so many of the statistics are based on observations from a relatively small (Covid19-infected) population sample.
    Other stats are based on stronger relationships observed during similars viral outbreaks in the past, I.e. SARS and MERS.

My sisters, both of whom work in a face-to-face role with the HSE and are pregnant, are in complete limbo regarding current/expected working conditions.

There’s a lot of mention in the media about the vulnerability of elderly and immunocompromised citizens, but I’ve heard no mention made of the unborn child. I hope this gets discussed more and want to draw attention to the issue.

Ki ki wrote: »
    Hi FSS,

Are you already on staff of HSE? And offering to move internally?
    I don't work for the HSE but did send an email the other day (to an info address) volunteering my time. I haven't heard anything back yet (edit: I'm sure they're inundated with work, now more so than ever).
    Can you share a better way for me to contact?

Thanks so much,
    C

I have seen a few non HSE staff offering to help which is great but not sure how they would arrange it?

Coralcoras wrote: »

I would suggest they speak to their line managers? Or could their doctors sign them off if there is a medical risk?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I have seen a few non HSE staff offering to help which is great but not sure how they would arrange it?

I'm a current civil servant with a background in public health, how would I go about offering to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I imagine DSP will need admin staff to help with arrangements should post offices close.
    Unions will be broken beyond repair if they stand in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Psychologist here, section 39 organisation providing services on behalf of the HSE. Expect to hear about redeployment on Monday. Not sure to what though. I’ve skills in relation to staff support, phone counselling, online therapies, medication compliance and medical trauma with both adults & kids so hoping to be of use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I know a couple of people from 2 different government departments who were contacted this weekend to work on contact tracing from Monday.
    DEASP will need a lot of extra resources too, and more and more departments and staff will be contacted this week coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Augeo wrote: »
    They'll undoubtedly look for some compensation.

Why do public sector workers/unions object to every little change in general? If this was the private sector, you'd be on your arse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Musefan wrote: »
    Psychologist here, section 39 organisation providing services on behalf of the HSE. Expect to hear about redeployment on Monday. Not sure to what though. I’ve skills in relation to staff support, phone counselling, online therapies, medication compliance and medical trauma with both adults & kids so hoping to be of use.

Ya any good at cleaning arses? Or would you object if it was part of your redeployment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Family member is an EHO and has been working at call centers & will be screening at the airport tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Not everyone in my office will be able to work remotely, that means about half the staff will be sitting at home doing nothing and getting paid for it (if the office closes down).

I really hope these people are redeployed, some are already gloating about their 'free time off', sickening in a crisis like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Who is getting paid? Not in my dept.
    Shift work introduced so that those who have to care for their children can work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Addle wrote: »
    Who is getting paid? Not in my dept.
    Shift work introduced so that those who have to care for their children can work around it.

I thought they would continue to pay full time employees? that's what we heard.

I'm not talking about child care arrangements, I am talking about if the offices are told to close.

Why do public sector workers/unions object to every little change in general? If this was the private sector, you'd be on your arse!

What have they objected too? This is all in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

What have they objected too? This is all in your head.

Any chance to get a dig in it seems. Giving out about civil servants on a thread where people are talking about their redeployment during a crisis and offering their services to help. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Ya any good at cleaning arses? Or would you object if it was part of your redeployment

I’m not really sure what your message is getting at? Where did I give an indication that I would object to something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Musefan wrote: »
    I’m not really sure what your message is getting at? Where did I give an indication that I would object to something?

Some posters have chip on both shoulders and are best ignored

Advertisement