Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

• 28-12-2020 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭

The time Derek Davis had an English female wrestler as a guest on his live chat show Davis At Large in 1985. I think he was getting her to demonstrate some of her moves and she got him in a headlock. He was down on his knees waving his arms about and couldnt speak as she was covering his mouth with her hand. Two backstage guys ran onset and pulled her away from him to which she started shouting "nobody touches me" and pushed or threw one of them into the set them kicked him or the other guy on the ground. At this stage Derek could be seen with a nosebleed holding a handkerchief up to his face. It was the talk of the schoolyard the next day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

The Bulgarian prime minister almost getting assassinated during a live press conference. Assassin gun jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Guy who slipped on ice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Guy who slipped on ice

Dont think that was live though

MadYaker wrote: »

I was watching that and thought at first it was one of the guys from Apre Match or something till he started effing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Live phone call to Anything Goes with someone shouting abuse down the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The time Derek Davis had an English female wrestler as a guest on his chat show Davis At Large in 1985. I think he was getting her to demonstrate some of her moves and she got him in a headlock. He was down on his knees waving his arms about and couldnt speak as she was covering his mouth with her hand. Two backstage guys ran onset and pulled her away from him to which she started shouting "nobody touches me" and pushed or threw one of them into the set them kicked him or the other guy on the ground. At this stage Derek could be seen with a nosebleed holding a handkerchief up to his face. It was the talk of the schoolyard the next day.

Please say there is online footage of this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Jarvis Cocker running wild at the Brits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I had a look and can't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

[You.TUBE]pat kenny[/YOU.TUBE]
    This thread could just be about him.

Derek Davis used to fill in for Pat before he passed away, he was much more likeable.

• Advertisement

Brian Lenehan's "Mature Recollection" in the Presidential Election. Robinson won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I remember someone phoning up some kids Saturday morning show when 5-Star were on, and telling them they were sh1t.

Unfortunately not. RTE might have it in their archives but live stuff often wasnt recorded even up to the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Tubs saying fuck on the toy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dave Fanning not realising his mic was on while introducing a Boyzone video and saying Ronan had “more talent in his big nose than the rest of them put together”.

He then had them on as guests a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I know it's not live tv, but I'd love to rewatch the whole "jousting question" from the Irish version of Who wants to be a millionaire?

Actually just remembered another one, where Gay Byrne helped the idiot contestant who got the first question wrong. Question was to complete this line, " Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me....?" with the answer being "your ears" but the contestant picked the joke answer "a few bob". Gay just quickly muttered "I think that would be a bad move" and let her guess again. I remember being so annoyed that he helped her out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

that guy rammed the RTE studio with his car a few weeks or months later while Ryan Tubridy was hosting his saturday night show ( RTE news interviewed Tubs outside where the glass doors were smashed )

mad as a brush he was , apparently he sent some crazy madcap idea to various RTE staff and kept getting ignored so held a grudge , think he took his own life a number of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember watching The Den when Ian Dempsey was on it, must have been some time in the 80s when these kind of jokes were popular, but he was reading out jokes that kids used to send in and he said "Here's one from Brian in Ballywherever - why did the Ethiopian..." and then stopped and apologised. Mad that they didn't even screen the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭spurshero

In fairness he made good points behind all of his rambling .if he just done it in a more controlled way most people would agree with him

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tobeme2020

Tommy Cooper in the UK. I will never forget this. Everyone thought it was part of the show but in fact he dropped dead in front of millions on live TV. Gone in a few seconds and shows life can be taken in no time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DHpZq3ul1ld4&ved=2ahUKEwjBs8WJ2vDtAhXpQhUIHcIzAz8QFjACegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3Fkfchl621AheD-L0TvsnJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tobeme2020 wrote: »
    Tommy Cooper in the UK. I will never forget this. Everyone thought it was part of the show but in fact he dropped dead in front of millions on live TV. Gone in a few seconds and shows life can be taken in no time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DHpZq3ul1ld4&ved=2ahUKEwjBs8WJ2vDtAhXpQhUIHcIzAz8QFjACegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3Fkfchl621AheD-L0TvsnJ

Christ

I'd have loved to have seen Eamon Dunphy at the 2002 World Cup when he was famously "tired and emotional" while acting as a pundit for an early morning game after a night at Lilies Bordello. He was apparently so drunk RTE sent him home before halftime. I think the match was Russia vs South Korea, but can't seem to find any footage online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

As fondly referenced to in this:

I read about that and apparently he didn't actually die in the live footage, just collapsed. He died a few hours later in the hospital.

Edit: I may be wrong on that actually. Wikipedia suggests CPR was performed on him behind the curtain and he was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. I can't remember where I read he lived for a few hours later, so maybe that's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd have loved to have seen Eamon Dunphy at the 2002 World Cup when he was famously "tired and emotional" while acting as a pundit for an early morning game after a night at Lilies Bordello. He was apparently so drunk RTE sent him home before halftime. I think the match was Russia vs South Korea, but can't seem to find any footage online.

I came here to mention Dunphy but more the 'I'll tell you who wrote it'

spurshero wrote: »
    In fairness he made good points behind all of his rambling .if he just done it in a more controlled way most people would agree with him

he accused PK of being an " arsehole" because he ignored his brilliant idea of a time machine

circa 1987 , Bud Dwyer ( treasurer of one of the states governments
    ) held a press conference following news of his involvement in some scandal

about a minute into it , he pulled out a gun and shot himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I know it's not live tv, but I'd love to rewatch the whole "jousting question" from the Irish version of Who wants to be a millionaire?

Brilliant. From what I remember

The definition of jousting was a question on the Irish Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

The guy didn't know, did a 50/50 and then phoned a friend. Mounted combat was one of the options, can't remember the other.

The friend paused for around 15 seconds and said 'I think the answer is jousting'.

The contestant and Gay Byrne looked at each other in horror before shouting 'No! Jousting is what we are asking about'. The friend then said he didn't know. The guy went for mounted combat in the end but wasted two lifelines in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Remember Russell brand presenting the NME awards and was having a nightmare, jokes weren't hitting, crowed were rowdy etc. Bob Geldof gets up to accept an daward and starts off with "Russell Brand...what c*nt". He done his speech then complaining about poverty etc and went and sat down

Russell Brand comes back and says "Bob Geldof everybody - a man who knows lots about poverty as he has been dining out on I Don't Like Mondays for the past 30 years". Cuts to Bob in the crowd and hes looking like a bulldog chewing a wasp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The mad Irish priest interrupting the Olympic marathon and later the British GP, completely nuts

Advertisement