Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Yeah I've a small parcel I'm waiting on from 3 weeks ago but it's typhoon season til the emd of October afaik. Keep me updated if yours arrive please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

You can stick me down on the waiting list too.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a reply from one of the sellers. Seems there was also this causing potential delays:

"...Osaka airport was closed because of a tanker hitting the bridge that connected it with the mainland."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I've only ever lost one package from Japan in nearly twenty years, sometimes you just have to wait. Irish customs seem to be stopping more and more packages these days which doesn't help the waiting times either.

Does anyone know a good website to get plastic game box protectors? I found one site where it was less than €1/box, based in the Netherlands, but they're closing down! Was about to order a few things.

I'll be honest that I haven't really looked on eBay, the odd website I found was in the US. I'm mainly looking for console protectors for my mint boxes along with Rez and Shenmue and the odd Saturn or Mega Drive game. Some of the ones on eBay were €20-25 per console which was a lot more than what I was looking at previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I got my package from Japan
    DpTdss-WkAIaSW5?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Got the Zzap! Annual.

It's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

ebbsy wrote: »
    Got the Zzap! Annual.

It's very good.

Cool. Looks great. Is there a mix of old and new reviews etc in it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Set up my PS3 and an currently reminding myself of how shocking the OS is. Slow clunky and crashes for no reason. It's also so unintuitive if you want to install anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I was watching some YouTube video about hacking the PS3 yesterday and they were saying the third party interface makes for a very stark contrast in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

deadl0ck wrote: »
    ebbsy wrote: »
    Got the Zzap! Annual.

It's very good.

Cool. Looks great. Is there a mix of old and new reviews etc in it?

There are new reviews in it (Robin Hogg is back), and Jaz Rignall had a look back at some gold medals.

Definitely worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Set up my PS3 and an currently reminding myself of how shocking the OS is. Slow clunky and crashes for no reason. It's also so unintuitive if you want to install anything.

Sony pushed a new FW update there the other day, it breaks homebrew functionality so don't update if you want to keep the possibility of exploiting it at some stage. Haze (Mame developer) had some some thoughts on the OS that echo your own...
    This is generally annoying, not because I have an interest in pirating games, but because there are so many flaws in the OFW and how it allows (or doesn't allow) you to mange your system, eg when it decides the only option is to reformat your drive (when it isn't) etc.

I have over 600 original games, I want to keep the collection working (and patchable, with the ability to install DLC that I've paid for) but also I prefer to stay on whatever firmware is most recent because of the online support etc.

So I either update, and retain the online support, but potentially lose all control over the system and access to a bunch of content come the day the servers all go down, or I don't update, lose online support completely, but know that I can install CFW one day so that I can actually have control over the machine and play through some of the more problematic games on original hardware without worry (some just love to corrupt data to the point where the PS3 OFW wants to reformat)

All these problems stem from the original firmware not being great, and stupid ideas like save games locked to accounts that can't even be copied to USB, terrible backup options, no proper file management, no proper trophy management (there always comes a point where you have to reformat and start again just because the file system ends up in a state and things start to lag)

I do like my PS3s, but we really need a legacy / end of life patch that gives users the ability to actually manage their systems properly, which CFW allows, but OFW doesn't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/9nmek6/psa_dont_upgrade_your_ps3_to_483_if_you_want_to/

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good website to get plastic game box protectors? I found one site where it was less than €1/box, based in the Netherlands, but they're closing down! Was about to order a few things.

I've used that site several times, are they not taking new orders? The only thing is their delivery price to Ireland is a bit nuts. I need a handful of protectors, but don't fancy paying the high delivery cost. If they're still taking new orders, I don't mind sharing the delivery price if you want to put through the order as one?

Inviere wrote: »

I've used that site several times, are they not taking new orders? The only thing is their delivery price to Ireland is a bit nuts. I need a handful of protectors, but don't fancy paying the high delivery cost. If they're still taking new orders, I don't mind sharing the delivery price if you want to put through the order as one?

Last I checked they had almost nothing left and had a 50% code for further discounts. Closing end of October I think. Yeah the shipping for a bit pricey with console protectors.

I'm in West Dublin, happy to go in on an order if we can find some decent prices somewhere :)

Last I checked they had almost nothing left and had a 50% code for further discounts. Closing end of October I think. Yeah the shipping for a bit pricey with console protectors.

I'm in West Dublin, happy to go in on an order if we can find some decent prices somewhere :)

This shop yeah? - https://www.theboxprotectorshop.nl/en_GB/

What protectors were you after that they didn't have?

This shop yeah? - https://www.theboxprotectorshop.nl/en_GB/

What protectors were you after that they didn't have?

I think I was looking at a different site haha! I have console protectors for 2 Mega Drive, 2 Saturn and Dreamcast along with game protectors for 1 Saturn, 1 Dreamcast and 1 Shenmue. Need to suss out if I'm gonna get any stands.

What were you looking at getting?

I think I was looking at a different site haha!

Ah perhaps. I heard Netherlands & thought how many game protector sites could be operating from there :D I need a special 3DS one they have, and maybe a Switch one or two

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Was in the Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh yesterday and they have a nice little retro gaming cabinet when you walk in.

No commodore 64 unfortunately just an inferior ZX Spectrum +2, ;) and a BBC Micro which is my first time seeing one in the wild.

463716.jpg

463717.jpg

I think my primary school was kitted out with BBC Micros. Essentially just Grannys Garden machines as we used them for feck all else

I think my primary school was kitted out with BBC Micros. Essentially just Grannys Garden machines as we used them for feck all else

Actually you know what I may have used on in 6th class now that I remember!

If it wasn't a BBC Micro it was something very similar looking.

Whatever it was it used a green and black monitor.

• Advertisement

Not Retro but I have to say that Edinburgh is modelled extremely well in Forza Horizon 4! So much so that I just bought the game for when I get back home tomorrow.

It's probably my first time buying an Xbox/windows 10 exclusive.
    Having a PS4 and a gaming PC is the best combination for gaming right now since all the Xbox exclusives are also on Windows.

Skip in to 2:40 to see Edinburgh in Forza Horizon 4:

https://youtu.be/hcyKGXW-Pac

Doge wrote: »
    since all the Xbox exclusives are also on Windows

Are they nuts money buying through Windows/XB?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most Irish schools got kitted out with BBC Micros because of the promotion that was run by wuinnsworth. Parents collectively collected tokens to get machines for their school.

Unfortunately they got used for feck all usually other than a few edutainment titles. Ireland didn't have the teaching courses in place to teach students to code unlike the UK and I feel it really left Ireland to play catch up while the UK has produced some of the best coders in the industry.

Are they nuts money buying through Windows/XB?

I bought from cdkeys for about 10 pounds less so there's that!

It was just over £41.

And the key includes an Xbox copy also so if you have both systems it works out pretty well.

The titles seem to keep their value though, Forza horizon 3 is still over £30 from grey market sellers and never seems to get much of a sale.

Most Irish schools got kitted out with BBC Micros because of the promotion that was run by wuinnsworth. Parents collectively collected tokens to get machines for their school.

Unfortunately they got used for feck all usually other than a few edutainment titles. Ireland didn't have the teaching courses in place to teach students to code unlike the UK and I feel it really left Ireland to play catch up while the UK has produced some of the best coders in the industry.

I have a vhs recording of my teacher preparing for a bicycle run somewhere in the UK in the 80s, I think he used sponsorship to fund the computers for the school. This is when I was in junior infants. Didn't get to use the computer til 6th class and I only got to type my name and address and stuff in! :(

I do remember some of the younger classes playing text adventure games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I got a BBC Micro when I was a teen from my mother but she gave away my Spectrum 48k :(
    It only had a handful of games including Elite but I never liked it so sold it and bought a Spectrum 128K instead :) and eventually I got my 48k back as well several years after

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    Not Retro but I have to say that Edinburgh is modelled extremely well in Forza Horizon 4! So much so that I just bought the game for when I get back home tomorrow.

It's probably my first time buying an Xbox/windows 10 exclusive.
    Having a PS4 and a gaming PC is the best combination for gaming right now since all the Xbox exclusives are also on Windows.

Skip in to 2:40 to see Edinburgh in Forza Horizon 4:

Having been to Edinburgh recently enough that looks amazing!
    It's like all the walks we took around the historic city, albeit in the middle of the roadway and at 120 kph!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

If anyone has contacted the seller of this bundle on done deal
    https://www.donedeal.ie/games-for-sale/sega-megadrive-one/20078018
    Be warned that they are scammers who were banned off of ebay for fake auctions.

I think the image for this was taken from an add on gumtree uk.

Armored Hunter Gunhound EX is getting delisted from steam tomorrow so make sure you snap it up.

The game is an excellent homage to cybernator and we'll worth playing.

Looks like the developer is going bust.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Armored Hunter Gunhound EX is getting delisted from steam tomorrow so make sure you snap it up.

The game is an excellent homage to cybernator and we'll worth playing.

Looks like the developer is going bust.

I saw the PS4 remaster of Assault Suits Leynos the other day, physical copy, in a Gamestop.
    Nearly bought it, but it was a little steep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement