Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Affordability of Property and Irish Wages/Salaries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Cyrus wrote: »
    pretty common in d15 no?

O common alright but moving a house from blanch to castle knock adds 100 k to the price. People are funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The reason older established suburbs are popular is the general infrastructure and in Dublin education, the older suburbs tend to have very good schools just look at the school league tables the pre-1970s suburbs also tend to have a better mix of housing and houses with garages and large gardens. That is what put prices up its interesting to look at the very good nonfee paying schoosl and the cost of housing around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Too many people focus on wages when in tech tcomp is what is driving the ability to buy and hence the housing market.

A tech worker might have a salary of 80 - 90k but also pulldown another 150k in share related income.

five years of that is 375k after tax - a couple like that makes it 750k and they still had their salaries all that time too.

Tech is the new banking.

Think your share amount is far overstated. If not, then I'm moving to a different tech company!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This post has been deleted.
    Few and far between tbh.

Might have €150k in sellable shares after five or six years, if they've gotten lucky enough to have chosen the right company.

The majority of tech workers will have share options which increase in value by inflation, at best.

Getting €150k in share-related income every year? Nah. That was 20 years ago, maybe. And then if you were lucky enough to get in on the ground level with big brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

every few months this forum goes from a property discussion to a "how much do they get paid" argument, looking forward to this one ending soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

beaz2018 wrote: »
    every few months this forum goes from a property discussion to a "how much do they get paid" argument, looking forward to this one ending soon

plus the "I'm an incredible landlord" threads... amatures should sell up and go home

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Might just be different experiences, but I've reviewed many job specs and done quite a few interviews over the last five years and haven't seen anyone except startups offering actual stock in compensation.

Like I say, could be just differing experiences, I tend to avoid big, big tech companies. Maybe they do offer actual stock and not just options.

My missus works in an established tech company and gets some decent shares every year, but only about 10 k a year. I work in pharma and get **** all :(

You also don't get that loads of folk working in the companies you mention are paid peanuts and those on the figures you mention are not a huge proportion of the house buying public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you need to get paid to buy a property ;)

seamus wrote: »
    Might just be different experiences, but I've reviewed many job specs and done quite a few interviews over the last five years and haven't seen anyone except startups offering actual stock in compensation.

Like I say, could be just differing experiences, I tend to avoid big, big tech companies. Maybe they do offer actual stock and not just options.

All of the established ones give RSU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Considered relatively posh is a nonsense. What does it even mean?

Presumably desireable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Considered relatively posh is a nonsense. What does it even mean?

Presumably desireable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's all good, seems we all need to work in a big 4 as either account, lawyer or coder in order to buy in Dublin; silly me, how did I not think about that earlier!
    All the chefs, care workers, civil servants under HEO grade, nurses and guards can go to shoite and move to Balbriggan, they're not worthy for city residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is the notion here that more than a handful of people in Facebook, Google and Microsoft in Dublin offices are being given 50k+ a year in RSUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

LirW wrote: »
    It's all good, seems we all need to work in a big 4 as either account, lawyer or coder in order to buy in Dublin; silly me, how did I not think about that earlier!
    All the chefs, care workers, civil servants under HEO grade, nurses and guards can go to shoite and move to Balbriggan, they're not worthy for city residence.

Society will value things differently, just like revenue generators in a firm will earn more than say ops etc

Not sure it's feasible for everyone to have their choice of place. If more than one person wants somewhere there will be a price premium.

Care workers, nurses etc are always going to fall behind that curve?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is the notion here that more than a handful of people in Facebook, Google and Microsoft in Dublin offices are being given 50k+ a year in RSUs?

No but there are a lot of people being paid substantially more than some professions. My boss earns multiples what I do and the senior management earn multiple tens times as much as me.

Hell even just drive down through business estates at the different units. A boss owns those buildings and will have more resources etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Corb_lund wrote: »
    Society will value things differently, just like revenue generators in a firm will earn more than say ops etc

Not sure it's feasible for everyone to have their choice of place. If more than one person wants somewhere there will be a price premium.

Care workers, nurses etc are always going to fall behind that curve?

I don't think it's often a case of living in your area of choice but living anywhere within a reasonable distance of work.
    It's all well and good talking about professional couples on quadrillion moneys but the reality is that most aren't.
    I don't think it's a solution to ship off people that earn median income to Kildare and let them commute in a sub-par transport system while the city is either for top earners or people in social housing.

Yes, some people earn a lot but a hell of a lot more don't and fall behind. Upskill get isn't an option for everyone, some people love their meh paying jobs and not everyone can become a lawyer. Are they less deserving of a house anywhere close to work that's not a ridiculous commute?

Everyone can’t have what everyone wants , so obviously those who earn more will get to live in the best areas how else would it or should it work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

keane2097 wrote: »

Some might have been awarded stock that ended up at that value, sure.

I know someone who works for one of those companies, they we given stock worth about a years salary that vests over a number of years. But the share price is set at the start of employment so if the share price goes up a lot over the course of employment you can end up with a lot of money.

I have no idea if that's generous or not as things go, there might be another company that gives you two years salary worth, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Didn't the last time we had this argument, or was it the time before that - someone linked a % of households earning over X grapgh and the households over 100K were in the top 95th percentile IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Bluefoam wrote: »
    plus the "I'm an incredible landlord" threads... amatures should sell up and go home

No likes for your post...go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Didn't the last time we had this argument, or was it the time before that - someone linked a % of households earning over X grapgh and the households over 100K were in the top 95th percentile IIRC.

I'm not surprised at all.

I don't think it's often a case of living in your area of choice but living anywhere within a reasonable distance of work.
    It's all well and good talking about professional couples on quadrillion moneys but the reality is that most aren't.
    I don't think it's a solution to ship off people that earn median income to Kildare and let them commute in a sub-par transport system while the city is either for top earners or people in social housing.

Yes, some people earn a lot but a hell of a lot more don't and fall behind. Upskill get isn't an option for everyone, some people love their meh paying jobs and not everyone can become a lawyer. Are they less deserving of a house anywhere close to work that's not a ridiculous commute?

I'm sorry but if people are happy with their meh job then they can't be unhappy about living in a meh area?? Contrary to some opinions most people (outside of the ultrarich) actually work very hard to raise themselves above average and thus have above average cars, houses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Corb_lund wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if people are happy with their meh job then they can't be unhappy about living in a meh area?? Contrary to some opinions most people (outside of the ultrarich) actually work very hard to raise themselves above average and thus have above average cars, houses etc

A house in Kilbarrack now commands the guts of 325K. Meh workers as you folk are putting it would no doubt be delighted with a meh area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

what does "meh" stand for?

what does "meh" stand for?

Think its the opposite of posh that we had a chat about 2 pages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Can't find the link but about a year ago I read that 7% of households earn more than €100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,353 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Can't find the link but about a year ago I read that 7% of households earn more than €100k
    That's households though.
    Not individual earners.

My household is hovering near that mark. And we're not well off, or even near it!
    100k for 2 incomes is not lots.

Advertisement