Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GameBoy Advance SP

• 03-10-2018 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, long time no post!

I dug out the GBA SP at the weekend to show the young uns in advance (pardon the pun :pac:) of Santa maybe, or maybe not. bringing a 2DS at Christmas.

I had a flash cart from back in the day (EZF Advance). Took a bit of hassle to get that working as the software and drivers only worked with xp. Had to install virtualbox and a copy of xp but the drivers then installed and the software detected the handheld and cart.

As a side note virtualbox is a really cool solution to install old versions of windows!

Anyway, what are the must do mods to perform on the SP. I notice the screen is pretty dark especially as we're all used to mobiles and tablets since.

Anything else?

Any advice and links would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Backlit screen mod is well worth it, I done mine a recently and love it. The same screen is available for the SP, quality may not be as good as the original AGS-101 screen but its bloody good.

41536476925_5cd74fbfb8_c.jpg

Also got an EZ Flash Omega flash cart, much cheaper than the Everdrive solutions and offers good enough compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks guys, any trusted links for the backlit screen mod??

Not too bothered about upgrading the cart. Its working just fine through the virtualbox and holds a reasonable number of games for the low activity it will see!

Trusted.. hmm so sure, just picked one up on Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,366 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dug out my 101 last night coincidentally, no bloody charger! So it went back unused on a shelf :(

Is it something like the attached I'm after?

• Advertisement

Ya that's pretty much it, you just need to figure out when cable type you need. Oh this will not be an original AGS-101 screen but a similar knock off.

Pity all those sellers are in China, no-one seems to be reslling closer to home.

Will open the gba and check the cable type before ordering. Thanks for the heads up!

You mind find a UK seller but they are usually much more expensive anyway ordering stuff from China is great - you'll have forgotten about ordering it when it arrives makes a nice surprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I remember doing the Advance mod back in the day - I think it was called the Afterburner backlight - yep Afterburner
    I played a lot of Advance Wars on it back then - ahh...the memories......

Master of the Universe

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I remember doing the Advance mod back in the day - I think it was called the Afterburner backlight - yep Afterburner
    I played a lot of Advance Wars on it back then - ahh...the memories......

Oh yeah, I remember them. Back in the days when handheld lighting was a luxury.

I had a front light kit that replaced the stock screen cover. A thick gel sat between it and the LCD to help cast the light over the screen. Took power out of the exe port.

Did the trick at the time but I'm sure if I fired it up now it would be a washed out mess :D

Edit - found it! Was called a Halo Light

https://www.gamezone.com/reviews/gba-halo-light-gba-review/

• Advertisement

Ya that's pretty much it, you just need to figure out when cable type you need. Oh this will not be an original AGS-101 screen but a similar knock off.

How do I know which cable type I need, the 32 or 40 pin?

I have the SP AGS 001 handheld

Open it up and count

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Open it up and count

latest?cb=20110923020233

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

687474703a2f2f696d672e617563746976612e636f6d2f696d67646174612f312f362f392f322f342f342f322f776562696d672f3731353938383338375f6f2e6a7067

All the SPs should be 32 pin

Thanks guys. I was hoping I could identify from a serial number or similar from the outside as I don't have a tri wing driver yet. Was going to get a screen and tri wing in the order. Chicken and egg stuff isn't It!

If all the sps are all 32 pin though that sorts it out!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Dug out my 101 last night coincidentally, no bloody charger! So it went back unused on a shelf :(

Hmm...no point keeping it so.
    I'd be willing to help you out and take if off your hands - at a reduced price of course as there is no charger.
    :P :P :P

Master of the Universe

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hmm...no point keeping it so.
    I'd be willing to help you out and take if off your hands - at a reduced price of course as there is no charger.
    :P :P :P

:D:D:D

It actually has a broken hinge that I had to superglue back together!

Worst feeling in the world, I closed the door to my games room and heard something hitting the floor. Went back in and my lovely charcoal AGS101 was on the ground with one of the hinges broken. Only had it a month.

The glue has held now for 5 years, so fingers crossed it continues to do so!

:D:D:D

It actually has a broken hinge that I had to superglue back together!

Worst feeling in the world, I closed the door to my games room and heard something hitting the floor. Went back in and my lovely charcoal AGS101 was on the ground with one of the hinges broken. Only had it a month.

The glue has held now for 5 years, so fingers crossed it continues to do so!

Ouch.

My nephew was over recently and I let him play my original DS Lite - he managed to snap the hinge and it knackered the top screen.

I've a new case that's semi put on now, but I'm having trouble getting all the connections to work simultaneously (Sometime top screen works, bottom does not, then vice versa).
    Need to get back to it and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Same, can't find my charger anywhere but I did buy a USB charging cable from aliexpress for 99cent inc shipping so should arrive around December:D
    Will need to invest in a front lit display and flash cart though because no idea where the games are all gone

I orered the replacement screen from eBay China seller.

Due to arrive between 26th October and 18th Dec.

I don't think I'll wait in for the delivery man

• Advertisement

Replacement screen arrived last week.
    Much quicker than expected but I had paid for tracked shipping.

I could only get a set with the normal gameboy advance replacement screen so had to order a gba sp one separately

IMG-20181103-134036.jpg

IMG-20181112-113804.jpg

Can anyone clarify for me where the red wire on the connector on the top picture solders to. i have an ASG 001 board.

All tutorials online seem to relate to the standard Game Boy Advance.

Thanks

Advertisement