Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnet plate or board?

• 09-11-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine gave my son a magnetic alphabet/phonics game from ELC as a gift but my refrigerator is covered by a case so its not magnetised. Does anyone know of something else I can use and where I can get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A metal serving tray or baking tray to play with or a office metal board.
    http://www.huntoffice.ie/drywipe-boards.html?284_0&gclid=CLGQgvKJlKUCFQz-2AodIkhpPQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

You can get metal notice boards in most big stationery shops. They can be pricey though. A cheaper alternative might be a stainless steel serving tray. I don't know where you'd get one though, they're the kind of thing your gran might have. Maybe a second hand or charity shop, car boot sale etc or one of the bigger homeware stores? Caterers use them too, if you have any contacts in the hotel/catering trade who could acquire one for you. Failing that, you could probably get a small piece of sheet metal from a DIY store.

And before you splash out, check that none of your cooking stuff is metallic. I've got a roasting tin from IKEA (cost €14) that will attract magnets.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Biscuit tin lid
    Many euro shops sell magnetic mini-white boards if you want to buy something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?query=magnetic+noticeboards

Ikea have a range of them.

If you have an induction cooker all of your cookware will be magnetic (which is also a way of testing pots etc when you go shopping - bring a fridge magnet with you.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A radiator that's not used frequently? We had one in our last house that was covered in the little ones magnets...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

yeah the radiator is great for the magnets, not so great when your toddler discovers how nicely the crayons melt onto it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you fridge can't be used as a notice board and you can't put drawings and eventually good test results on it, then I would say get the board for the kitchen, it will have plenty use over the years from that set to drawnings and notices from school, reminders and sticker reward charts and reminders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you fridge can't be used as a notice board and you can't put drawings and eventually good test results on it, then I would say get the board for the kitchen, it will have plenty use over the years from that set to drawnings and notices from school, reminders and sticker reward charts and reminders.

I use blutac for that stuff, but yeah its a pain.

Advertisement