Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Phone buttons on VW Passat steering wheel?

• 18-03-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

We recently bought a VW Passat which have the buttons on the Steering Wheel to answer your phone, hang up, turn volume up and down and a mute button. The car didn't come with the bluetooth installed so as a pressie to my hubby I am getting the bluetooth for the car.

Well after ringing the VW dealer to enquire, he put me in contact with the subcontractor who installs all their bluetooth. He told me that those buttons will not work :eek: and will need to go with the parrot Kit that sits on the dash and answer phone that way.

Does this fella know what he is talking about? Or is this really the case? Why would VW have these buttons on the steering wheel and of no use???

Cheers

Maclyn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Maclyn wrote: »
    We recently bought a VW Passat which have the buttons on the Steering Wheel to answer your phone, hang up, turn volume up and down and a mute button. The car didn't come with the bluetooth installed so as a pressie to my hubby I am getting the bluetooth for the car.

Well after ringing the VW dealer to enquire, he put me in contact with the subcontractor who installs all their bluetooth. He told me that those buttons will not work :eek: and will need to go with the parrot Kit that sits on the dash and answer phone that way.

Does this fella know what he is talking about? Or is this really the case? Why would VW have these buttons on the steering wheel and of no use???

Cheers

Maclyn

AFAIK, these buttons will only work with the factory-installed bluetooth preparation.

Not sure why the buttons are installed if the bluetooth isn't - maybe they are just the standard wheels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There is a way you can make an aftermarket bluetooth kit work with your steering wheel buttons:

http://www.fitbluetooth.co.uk

There is a special adapter you can buy that works with a Parrot bluetooth kit. If you can install a radio (i.e. your mechanic caninstall a radio) then this shoudl be as easy.

Here is a link tot he VW adapter kit:

http://www.fitbluetooth.co.uk/files/prod_sub_cat.php?cat_id=50&sid=93

You use a standard Parrot CK3000 kit with it:

http://www.fitbluetooth.co.uk/files/details.php?id=6

Have a look around on other websites like EBay, etc. & you might find these a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

He's sorta right.

The buttons are designed for the factory fitted handsfree kit. He is pointing you in the right direction with the parrot kit as it would be the cheaper option than getting the proper VW fitting.

There is however an additional lead that you can get for the parrot that means the steering wheel controls will work. I know this as my best mate fits car kits and i was actually sitting in a passat cc with him when he was installing this very thing.

You can see the leads here http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits although i think from memory they are about another £70

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The middle link I sent is the steering wheel adapter you mention. It is not just a connector, there is a little control unit with it. It is designed to specifically work with the CK3000.

280_big_CTPPAR008%20FIT_.jpg

Description :

Bluetooth Steering Wheel Adaptor £67.95 Incl VAT & Free delivery (UK & Eire) >>>

VW Golf V/Golf Plus/Passat/Eos/Tiguan
    Use with CK3000 Evolution
    RCD300/500

Passat 2004 >

Golf 2004 > (MkV & Plus)

EOS 2005 >

http://www.fitbluetooth.co.uk/files/details.php?id=280

Personally though I think it'd be madness to spend that sorta money on it.
    The parrot itself is so easy to use and provided the screen is positioned right by your fitter very easy to operate. In fact IMO its easier than those fidgety steering wheel buttons.

Basically is it worth £70 to save moving your hand an inch or two???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

You might be able to get the correct VW upgrade kit here.

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/index.php/cat/c106_Passat-3C.html/page/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I think that is a disgrace, I would hate to have buttons that remind me of extras I don't have!! Why don't they just leave the electric, heated, massaging seat switch there too, and all the other ones while that are at it, imagine it, a base spec where 90% of the buttons do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Are you sure there isn't bluetooth in it? Try doing a search on your mobile.

I know on Seats that when you get the bluetooth option they put different buttons on the wheel. It's a waste if it doesn't have BT because you lose a lot of functionality for the radio with fewer buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 51,041 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VW have a multi-function steering wheel available which includes remote stereo controls and hands free phone bottons on it. My guess is that the previous owner only opted for MFSTW for the stereo controls and not the factory fitted bluetooth. It saves the manufacturer from having to produce two different MFSTWs.

I think that is a disgrace, I would hate to have buttons that remind me of extras I don't have!! Why don't they just leave the electric, heated, massaging seat switch there too, and all the other ones while that are at it, imagine it, a base spec where 90% of the buttons do nothing.

Its probably a lot cheaper to just whack the same steering wheel on regardless of spec.

The best game used to be guess the buttons, where there was just a cover where obviously a higher spec car had some nice toy or gimmick but all you had was a black plastic square....only hinting at the joys you might have if only you had the extra money!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

its just the same as BMW's MFSW buttons. all the buttons function on 90% of the cars, but then theres one button for the phone, if you dont have bluetooth installed then you dont use it.

but the other buttons double up as in the radio up and down button doubles as a phone book up and down button when in use.

is the OP sure that the volume buttons dont control the radio too?
    so in otherwords the buttons are not wasted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

I'm in similar situation regarding phone button on steering wheel, any straight forward fix for this. Vw sales man said new or used passat Bluetooth stereo will work, old connections will do etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock
    Start new thread with all pertinent info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement