Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sheep shed

• 22-09-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

was thinking of putting up a shed for around 100 ewes,i have a hay shed 30 x15 and was thinking of a lean 2 of it with no tank just a concrete floor or would i be better building from scratch would anyone have an idea of cost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

drive it wrote: »
    was thinking of putting up a shed for around 100 ewes,i have a hay shed 30 x15 and was thinking of a lean 2 of it with no tank just a concrete floor or would i be better building from scratch would anyone have an idea of cost

Housing for sheep does not need to cost a huge amount. You will get prices ranging from reasonable to insane. If your existing shed is in good condition i would be working from this.

Depending on who does the majority of the work (you or a contarctor) you could have a fully complete 2 span lean-to on that shed with a concrete floor for €5-6,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭drive it

would a 30 x 30 be big enough was going to keep the hay shed for storage and lambing pens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Hi, just a few comments, am by no way an expert!
    Is your hayshed pretty high, will you be able to extend 30 foot off the side of it, and still get under the roof at the lower end with a tractor to clean it out? I would imagine 30 x 30 to be a bit tight for 100 ewes, could you extend the lean to another bay, and wrap it round the end of the hay shed? Are you going to feed all along the lenght of the shed? will you be able to keep the feed dry/under the roof?
    Some people have found poly tunnells with a galebreaker type mesh at ground level to be good ( and relatively cheap)
    Iver in Cavan

its around 12 foot to where the lean 2 would start. was thinking of a round feeder in the middle .thought of the poly tunnel but the site is a bit exposed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi Drive it.

As previous posters have said - you could spend as much or as little as you want.

I put up a cheap shed there 2 years ago - see some details here

Its my only shed, so it has to hold everything. I put a loft into it last year, to hold about 150-200 small square bales. This freed up a bit more 'pen' space...

I have it divided up into 4 'pens' with a few gates. I have feeders for hay, and made some hurdles for lambing pens. I didn't floor it with concrete yet, its just a hardcore/dust type stuff (is it called 802?) floor for now.

To be honest, its a bit rough... My plan is to improve it, put in some proper gates and the likes... But, compared to what I had, its a gift...

I made some timber hurdles like these last year, out of some timber I had lying around.
    I bought some of these for feeding hay, which although a bit expensive have proven very handy.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

thanks username john this could be a 2 year project with the price of lambs what shape/size shed is it and how do you find the hard core floor to winter the sheep on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

thanks username john this could be a 2 year project with the price of lambs what shape/size shed is it and how do you find the hard core floor to winter the sheep on

Hi Drive it,

The shed I put up is 30 x 45.

Sorry drive it, I should have been more clear - I don't winter the sheep inside. I only bring them in for lambing, so they would be inside 1 - 2 weeks, as short as possible really.

The hardcore floor I find a super job. I use straw, and don't use as much straw as I think I would if it were a concrete floor.

Like I say, its a bit rough, but I find it a good enough job...

thanks for that its a great help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

thanks for that its a great help

Because of the bad weather and lack of grass, I'll need more accomadation quickly, any one using a tunnel on here and what do you think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I used to lamb the ewes out but because the father is no longer fit to catch one in the field if i'm away i now house them. We build a general purpose shed about four years ago and it suits my purpose very well and its by no means fancy. Its a five bay loose house each bay is 16ft and its 35 ft wide. Block walls along both sides and fully open at one end and a block wall and feeding gate at the other end. I sourced large 25ft uprights out of a power station which have a 2ft sq base plate and welded a steel beam to the tops of them to span the 35 ft. The tin for the roof was sourced from a neighbour who was dismantling a poultry house and i had the chance to take all the timbers and tin for dismantling the shed for him, the tin is a bit on the light side but sheets were 25ft long and i still have dozens of them left after doing the roof.
    The floor is a gravel soakaway and is bedded with woodchip, i get a ro-ro skip of it before lambing and bed the floor about twelve to fifteen inches with it and only ever have to add chip to where the sheep are feeding around the silage feeders. Its great stuff and really cuts down on lameness compared to when i was bedding in straw and the sheep keep pawing at it when they go to lie down so naturally keep turning it over themselves. the key to it is to make sure the chip is the right size, i use 2 inch chip which is waste timber rather than natural timber as it has more soakability. The urine and dung just gets soaked up and turned over and we also use it for bedding the bulls and does a grand job with them too.
    The block walls along the sides are seven ft hight with yorkshire cladding spanning the remaining 6ft to the roof, it allows plenty of ventilation and the open front ensures that theres plenty of air. Two bays are used to house the triplets from 1st January and fed a round bale throught the feeding gate and troughs along the wall for when i start feeding them meal. The other three bays are then used for housing the twins about 1 week before lambing. I have a lean to which i have thirty pens in for putting all lambed ewes in, this is on a concrete floor and everything is limed and straw bedded before a ewe goes into lamb, just makes it easier to clean out and wash down every day. I have hayracks that User John has and find these great for keeping silage off the ground. The whole house will accommodate about 125 mule ewes at any time and i do find it a great help but there are downsides.
    Pros - problem/dull sheep are noticed quicker as i'm always passing the house
    4am lambings or problem lambings as easily caught, if you think a ewe might be going to give problems throw her into a pen and come back and look her in an hour, rather than search for her in a field with a torch
    Sheep are less likely to take twin lamb disease as they're less stressed by wet weather and bullying at the feeders/troughs
    Allows me to condition score ewes better and house triplets after scanning
    The father can take a shift every so often and give me a shout if he needs a hand
    Re-house young lambs if the weather turns bad

cons - more labour intensive - i find i do nothing else when lambing except hang around the shed
    individual lambing pens MUST be cleaned after each lambing and i still have cases of joint ill

In fairness we probably built the shed for probably less than £3K and the ewes are only in it for a period of a month with the triplets in for 10 weeks, two of my neighbours built sheds two years ago and each spent between £35-£40K on their respective sheds. They are cracking sheds but have severe design flaws in their flooring system as one uses mesh and the other uses straw. the mesh gets blocked with the baled silage - i believe if you put sheep on mesh they need to be fed precision chop silage, the straw bedded house ends up very damp as the sheep are in pens 20ft x 18ft and as the sheep eat along the middle passage they dirty the straw badly at the front and sheep go lame quickly. One of the houses has ventilated tin cladding but air circulation seems to be worse than mine and at the end of the day they can only ever be used for housing sheep whereas mine is a loose house and we have used it for many a thing. My advice is to be flexible with your design at first and see what works for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement