Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I agree. I still have difficulty with girls names, and I have it down to two boy's names already!

I actually know a Jack James...I think it's a lovely combination :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

I'm not expecting but kind of have my names picked out, well a shortlist anyway!!

Boys names, there's only one really, Noah.

Girls names, I like Pearl... but my OH doesnt like it, so it will probably be a middle name instead.
    Lily
    Asha

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

We've a few names short listed, though I refuse to commit to anything, too many people I know have said they had names picked but once they saw the baby they knew they were one name and one name only, and invariably that was a completely different name to the one they had picked?

However when we were throwing names out there, someone suggested Oscar, which I have an instant dislike to, but for some reason its really stuck in my head. What do people think of it, does it sound too much like what you'd call your cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

fi1979 wrote: »
    We've a few names short listed, though I refuse to commit to anything, too many people I know have said they had names picked but once they saw the baby they knew they were one name and one name only, and invariably that was a completely different name to the one they had picked?

However when we were throwing names out there, someone suggested Oscar, which I have an instant dislike to, but for some reason its really stuck in my head. What do people think of it, does it sound too much like what you'd call your cat?
    friends of mine have just called their son oscar ,and yes it is good name

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

after 2 boys my wife is desperate for a girl and would call her Juliette- this is already non debatable- i have no say in the matter:P

Time to grow a pair mate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When I was pregnant with number 1 we couldnt agree on any names.

So I bought a book and we took it in turn to look at it and write down our choice of names. We then compared the lists, got rid of what didnt match and used the ones that did to come up with a name.

Its hard sometimes because obviously each of you will have ones you like and ones you dont...compromise is the name of the game

seamy_orr wrote: »
    Time to grow a pair mate...

you've obviously never dealt with a pregnant woman. If I have to push it out...I get the final say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Darthhoob

hacked wrote: »
    you've obviously never dealt with a pregnant woman. If I have to push it out...I get the final say.

men pretty much 'choose' the surname anyway (even though mine is cooler :( )

i found out i am having a boy today :D ...a third baby boy lol! i really thought it would be a girl as the last two i KNEW were boys and i KNEW this was a girl in the same way...seems i was wrong lol.

i have a list as long as my arm though :O

Lincoln
    Aiden
    Evan
    Ethan
    Logan
    Lucas

are a few (about 30 more LOL)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Love the name Lucas. was in the running if mine was a boy but she's a girl

Lucia? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Girls names, I like Pearl... but my OH doesnt like it, so it will probably be a middle name instead.

SNAP! aw its so wierd exact same. I love it he thinks its stupid....stupid men.

also not pregnant just LOVE that name :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Darthhoob wrote: »
    i found out i am having a boy today :D

Congrats! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Loving a few names but when I say the cso report on baby names both Jack and Emily were on the top of the list for the past few years.

Would this bother you? We both like these names but I'm slightly turned off that they are so popular :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 finley

I called my little girl Teagan and am due a boy in 2 months...have Caleb picked out...think i'll be sticking to it.

finley wrote: »
    I called my little girl Teagan and am due a boy in 2 months...have Caleb picked out...think i'll be sticking to it.

I love the name Teagan! It's one of the finalists for my girls names....either that or Maya.

I really like Caleb too...that was my list also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

fi1979 wrote: »

Hi there my name is oscar and just to provide some feedback on it. Somebody in his scholl is bound to have a pet named oscar but the same goes for sam, max, lucy etc etc

there will always be a couple of jokes at the awards ceremony each year and the old grouch joke will raise it's head ( that might be a generation thing though)

Have to say though I do love my name. It's unique (until that baby on eastenders came along:mad:). it also have a great explanation (spear of god).
    Oscar was son of Oisin and Grandson of Fionn Mac Cumhail.

Ironically I named my son Oisin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We got a book on baby names from Science Fiction today (as well as a regular Irish baby names book)...both look interesting...we are both science fistion nerds so it makes a lot of sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Thanks for that, no offence to the name, you know how sometimes you take an unknown dislike for something. However your comment makes me feel much better about. I just know because I can't get it out of my head, that it'll end up sticking. Though funnily enough my OH was recounting the story to someone and thought the name had been Alex!!! I'm supposed to be the forgetful one lol!

i have a pet rat named Oscar, he's an old grump! like in sesame street :D (tho he was from a rescue so already named)

i like the name though, but i know what you mean. i called my second son Dexter and that was a name i really didn't like until me and my OH came to the letter D when thinking of names. we jokingly said Dexter (as we watch the show Dexter)...it stuck though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Darthhoob wrote: »
    i have a pet rat named Oscar, he's an old grump! like in sesame street :D (tho he was from a rescue so already named)

i like the name though, but i know what you mean. i called my second son Dexter and that was a name i really didn't like until me and my OH came to the letter D when thinking of names. we jokingly said Dexter (as we watch the show Dexter)...it stuck though!
    I like the name Dexter since the show too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

CathyMoran wrote: »
    We got a book on baby names from Science Fiction today (as well as a regular Irish baby names book)...both look interesting...we are both science fistion nerds so it makes a lot of sense...

Please dont put any crazy name on your baby.

come in, your dinner is ready......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Please dont put any name to crazy on your baby.

a name to crazy?:confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Please dont put any crazy name on your baby.

come in, your dinner is ready......

Eh, they can call their child whatever they like.

CathyMoran, what book is that? Sounds interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭poms

Ok can I get some honest opinions?

Myself and my husband are in the stages of ttc and we have thrown around some possible names for the future. He has his mind set on Riley for a girl. I am not so sure.

Any opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I like it and it would work for a boy or a girl. It's different. Good luck with ttc, make sure you enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭poms

Thanks Deemark I defo am!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

babynames-1.pdf

Baby Names 2008

Interesting Reading, probably posted somewhere in this thread before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I like the name Dexter since the show too...

Someone at work has a grandson called Dexter and she's sick of the serial killer comments! It's a nice name though and in 20 years time will anyone remember it?

Someone else at work had a son called Jake and she almost didn't use it because when he was born the film "once were warriors" had just come out and if you've seen it you know the Jake in that is not very nice! She says she's glad she did call him Jake because nobody thinks of that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i don't know if its been said but what worked for me is to pick the name you think you want and keep using it for about a week straight (or just keep repeating the baby's full name to yourself out loud) and see how you feel at the end of the week! i found most names drove me crazy by day 3....luckily 'emma' didn't and at 4 months old i still love her name...

• Advertisement

i don't know if its been said but what worked for me is to pick the name you think you want and keep using it for about a week straight (or just keep repeating the baby's full name to yourself out loud) and see how you feel at the end of the week! i found most names drove me crazy by day 3....luckily 'emma' didn't and at 4 months old i still love her name...

ive not bothered doing that, but when i think of a name i constantly use it when i day dream of my future child. I have a lot of day dreams about every day things, and talking to people about the kid, having to talk to the kid, sort things out...

I found that to be very helpful and have settled on the final two names for each sex as a result.

Advertisement