Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work life balance in the USA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭walshtipp

This is in no way accurate. US bus drivers having the same standards of living as people on six figure salaries here? Come on!

Was thinking that.

I have no experience of living or working in the US. You don't even have to be earning six figure sums in Ireland to live well though. It really depends on your own priorities. I usually find that the people who complain that they are not satisfied with their lives here are the same people who visit the pub regularly and then buy a pack of 20 fags before heading to the bookies.

"Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If I was you op I would move to Australia. They have a much better work life balance.
    Alot of work places finish early on a Friday ��
    I have lived in canada and Australia. Canada has similar annual leave to America. It is really depressing only having 10 days off.
    I'm convinced its why so many americans are idiots. Most Americans are not well travelled for obvious reasons.
    You have feck all workers rights in america aswell. Alot of people live in fear of being fired for nothing over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Know a few people who have lived and worked in America, and the work/life balance is not great. On top of that, the work culture is pretty terrible.

A few posters have stated that you get a lifestyle there you can't get here. While this is probably true to a degree if you get seriously sick and have no one to support you, you're screwed.

Also, I think the viewpoints of a lot of people of the nation and the pure capitalistic structure is distasteful. And the deep-rooted issues of racism, homelessness etc. Not my idea of a good country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

miss.paula wrote: »
    The difference is in the states Bus drivers, Post men, Council workers are living a life style comparable to the highest earners in Ireland.

This is complete rubbish. Where did you get this fanciful notion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Google is your friend
    Look at the properties owned by "working class" americans, look at the TV reality shows, the "working class" american is living large , comparable to the Irish upper class.
    Plus what i know from family in the states.

I have to hand it to you. I’ve never seen anyone cite “reality TV” as evidence in a debate on socio-economic matters before, so thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I work for an American company. They used to give the US employees 12 days paid holidays to start off with, but you could build that up to 24 over 6 years (2 days a year of service).

They now give unlimited PTO to their US employees, which ironically they can’t give here because of our statutory minimum paid leave requirements.

I think they have a rule that they can’t take more than a week at a time, but I’ve seen people out for 2. They tend to take loads of long weekends, and then a week in the summer, time around Thanksgiving (although as an e-commerce company, that’s actually our busiest time, so bit everyone can take time off then), and then they’re all off over Christmas.

In the Irish office, we start with 22 days, and can build up to 30 with service.

Unlimited PTO is a bit of a scam imo. The kinds of job that offer it are usualy fairly high grade and performance rated, so taking more than 20-25 days off would be frowned upon. In a lot of cases you would be pressured to do so much work you would probably be taking less days off than if you just had 20 assigned. I'm sure it also works well from the point of view that they no longer have pay or carry over for days you worked as you dont have any set number of days off defined.

imitation wrote: »
    Unlimited PTO is a bit of a scam imo. The kinds of job that offer it are usualy fairly high grade and performance rated, so taking more than 20-25 days off would be frowned upon. In a lot of cases you would be pressured to do so much work you would probably be taking less days off than if you just had 20 assigned. I'm sure it also works well from the point of view that they no longer have pay or carry over for days you worked as you dont have any set number of days off defined.

Yeah, it is. In fairness the CEO was quite up front about the financial benefits to the company, in not having to pay people who leave in lieu of unused PTO. That said, my personal experience of looking at my US colleagues is that they seem to be taking plenty of time off. But no, I wouldn’t want it here - I’m up to 30 days now, and I like the security of knowing it’s an entitlement.

The company also gave everyone across the globe an extra (paid) “company holiday” day off in May, and we’re getting another in December. Plus a few departments (including mine) introduced “summer hours” of a half day each Friday for June, July and August (no change in pay), and then announce it was being extended for the whole year. Not too shabby.

Also, no one in my company - US or not - takes time off for a doctor or dentist appointment, or bring the car to a mechanic. You just do it, and come into work after. It’s not even a matter making up the hours as such. Once you get your work done and don’t leave deadlines hanging, you really get to manage your own time (within reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've long considered wanting to move to the US at some point in my life. I recognise it has some serious flaws, but my main gripe about the country is with the lack of annual leave the US (and Canada) both have. Am I right in saying the US has NO guaranteed paid leave whatsoever and it has be negotiated with an employer before hand? I also read that approximately 25% of Americans don't get ANY paid leave whatsoever? I think the average American only gets just 10 days off a year? In Canada its not much better either with 2 weeks only (and wages are also lower than the US).

Land of the free, apparently! Freedom must mean something else over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Land of the free, apparently! Freedom must mean something else over there!

Many Americans have a strong work ethic and prioritize their careers. If that’s the way they choose to live, let them at it.

There’s no better place to be if you’re young and ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hamachi wrote: »
    Many Americans have a strong work ethic and prioritize their careers. If that’s the way they choose to live, let them at it.

There’s no better place to be if you’re young and ambitious.

A strong work ethic is a great thing... as long as you are suitably rewarded for it.

No point in walking into a job, after a while you are getting all the plaudits, pats on the back, you are constantly told how great you are, your being told how your work is being mentioned at management meetings...keep it up and you’ll go places... three year later, same job, similar pay and the recurring promises but excuse after excuse as to why ‘not just yet’...

Lots of stories like that from America... American companies here too...

Ambition is working for a company that values and rewards hard work, loyalty, intelligence, ambition and ability... American crowd I worked for way back loved all those attributes but were only prepared to reward those who were YES men over raw ability.

• Advertisement

Apart from the hours, I could not stand the fake upbeatness American's seem to need to display. Like yay this company is great. All of the ones I work with are positively over the fuking moon to be there every day.

Strumms wrote: »
    A strong work ethic is a great thing... as long as you are suitably rewarded for it.

No point in walking into a job, after a while you are getting all the plaudits, pats on the back, you are constantly told how great you are, your being told how your work is being mentioned at management meetings...keep it up and you’ll go places... three year later, same job, similar pay and the recurring promises but excuse after excuse as to why ‘not just yet’...

Lots of stories like that from America... American companies here too...

Ambition is working for a company that values and rewards hard work, loyalty, intelligence, ambition and ability... American crowd I worked for way back loved all those attributes but were only prepared to reward those who were YES men over raw ability.

There’s a lot more to prioritising your career than sticking with the same company - especially if they’re doing that to you. The people I know that have rapidly progressed in their careers did so by changing jobs strategically. You have a much better chance of significant pay rises and promotions by changing jobs. You can move up in a company by staying with them, but it takes longer and the money is never as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The difference is in the states Bus drivers, Post men, Council workers are living a life style comparable to the highest earners in Ireland.

rubbish , people on low or modest incomes have a much better life in ireland than in america where if you dont have a good education , its common to work two or three jobs to make ends meet

Australia is the land of milk and honey for people with modest value skills to live a good lifestyle , unlike america , it also has a fairly strong welfare state

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just move to Malta, 26 days paid holiday, and 14 days paid public holidays. Malta ranked first in the latest survey for overall job satisfaction out of 64 countries
    Malta ranked 5th worldwide in the field of healthcare. Malta follows some serious high standards in the medical field that why anyone who pays for national insurance is eligible for free public healthcare in the country and this includes expats.

It's a bit of a tax haven, so lots of large companies there that are into financial , gaming, IT, types of businesses.

Plus the beach is only a few steps away.

Malta_how_to_get_laid_in_Malta_clubs_bars_single_student_sex_girls_EF_Languages_Abroad_paceville.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Hamachi

There’s a lot more to prioritising your career than sticking with the same company - especially if they’re doing that to you. The people I know that have rapidly progressed in their careers did so by changing jobs strategically. You have a much better chance of significant pay rises and promotions by changing jobs. You can move up in a company by staying with them, but it takes longer and the money is never as good.

Agreed. If you’re allowing a company take you for a fool with unrealized promises, that’s on you. You have to be strategic about making a change if you aren’t getting anywhere.

Personally, I’ve worked for Irish, European, and American tech companies. The American companies are by the far the workplaces in which hard work and intellectual horse power are valued and rewarded.

Sure, they work you hard and the relentless positivity can be fake and nauseating. However, my experience is that they are a meritocracy, where the cream rises to the top.

If you aren’t prepared to work hard, push yourself forward, and believe in yourself, US workplaces are not the right environment for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

What part of the US are you thinking of moving to OP?
    It can make a huge difference in your life depending on your location and what you're looking for. There's a huge difference in the cost of living throughout the States too.
    If you're looking for a good outdoor type lifestyle, the states of Oregon and Washington are beautiful with beaches and mountains, and very laid back in general.
    A lot depends on your financial situation too, if it's not great you can rule out a lot of the west coast or bigger cities as you'll need a headstart when you arrive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just don’t go doing aNything mad like joining the military - you want to tKe their money not them take your soul and mentaL health - or legs.

Actually, the financial benefits are outstanding. I wouldn't recommend anyone join just because of it, but in terms of the various assistance I've gotten, it's been one of the better moves in my life.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    In Europe, people work to live.

In America, you live to work.

As someone who lived and worked in the USA in the past, I think European countries have it the right way around. In Ireland of course in the 2000s Celtic Tiger/Speculative bubble many saw us going the way of the States, but I think that since then we have moved back towards the European work/life balance ethic.

I don't think that's quite right. It's more like that Europeans will live a little more during the work years, whilst Americans work more in order to reap a better retirement at the end of it all. I think the European attitude is better (There's no guarantee you won't get hit by a bus the day before you retire!), but it's not 'slave to the taskmaster' around here.

For example, Americans are, contrary to common perception, more likely to travel away than most folks. The difference is that they don't travel internationally, which is fine considering the variety of options of scenery and activities in the US and affordable price of getting and staying there. Data is 2014, but presumably hasn't changed much.
    1414054172752_wps_1_Table_screenshot_JPG.jpg

Obviously the fact that we're taking these trips indicates we have both time and money to do it. From where I am living in Texas, in a under a three-hour flight, for only a couple hundred dollars return I can be in a skiing resort or on a tropical island, without need of a passport. That's a pretty reasonable quality of life if you like getting out and about.

Other activities can also be relatively affordable. Flying, for example, or motorsports. Some activities, like shooting or hunting, are rare options in Europe even with the money. And some are just weather related, so if you're in a suitable location like California or Texas, I drive with the roof down in January.

Quite how many days off you get will depend very much on your employer and the nature of your job. I'd put my vacation time allowance up against any typical European employer, but obviously just because I have it, doesn't mean you will get it.

Still, we're not Japanese. Most employers around here understand that there has to be a work-life balance and will not work you to the bone, expect you to be around just because the boss is, or anything like that.

If you have the opportunity to work/live here for a few years, I think it's worth a crack as long as you're not irrevocably abandoning a career in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most companys dont have union,s , people rely on companys to pay health insurance.1000 s of people go bankrupt in america every year because they get sick and they end up with large bills for medical treatment.
    ordinary workers get fired while ceos get paid millions .
    You can work long hours for a company and not get paid for overtime .
    stay away from california, it seems to get mega fires every year .
    people were stuck at home , hot and afraid to go out due to low air quality .
    why would someone move to the usa in the middle of a pandemic .
    America is a good place to live if you are on a high salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just move to Malta, 26 days paid holiday, and 14 days paid public holidays. Malta ranked first in the latest survey for overall job satisfaction out of 64 countries
    Malta ranked 5th worldwide in the field of healthcare. Malta follows some serious high standards in the medical field that why anyone who pays for national insurance is eligible for free public healthcare in the country and this includes expats.

It's a bit of a tax haven, so lots of large companies there that are into financial , gaming, IT, types of businesses.

Plus the beach is only a few steps away.

Actually there are very few beaches, there's golden bay on the north of the island and not much else. Healthcare is good yes, my brother just got out of hospital there. There is very little public transport and St Julian's/Valetta is just one giant traffic jam, and they all drive like lunatics. Gets unbearably hot in summer, and it's the only place in Europe with less trees than Ireland, no parks or green spaces.
    It's a hard place to live in, but does have some good things going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Actually, the financial benefits are outstanding. I wouldn't recommend anyone join just because of it, but in terms of the various assistance I've gotten, it's been one of the better moves in my life.

I don't think that's quite right. It's more like that Europeans will live a little more during the work years, whilst Americans work more in order to reap a better retirement at the end of it all. I think the European attitude is better (There's no guarantee you won't get hit by a bus the day before you retire!), but it's not 'slave to the taskmaster' around here.

For example, Americans are, contrary to common perception, more likely to travel away than most folks. The difference is that they don't travel internationally, which is fine considering the variety of options of scenery and activities in the US and affordable price of getting and staying there. Data is 2014, but presumably hasn't changed much.
    1414054172752_wps_1_Table_screenshot_JPG.jpg

Obviously the fact that we're taking these trips indicates we have both time and money to do it. From where I am living in Texas, in a under a three-hour flight, for only a couple hundred dollars return I can be in a skiing resort or on a tropical island, without need of a passport. That's a pretty reasonable quality of life if you like getting out and about.

Other activities can also be relatively affordable. Flying, for example, or motorsports. Some activities, like shooting or hunting, are rare options in Europe even with the money. And some are just weather related, so if you're in a suitable location like California or Texas, I drive with the roof down in January.

Quite how many days off you get will depend very much on your employer and the nature of your job. I'd put my vacation time allowance up against any typical European employer, but obviously just because I have it, doesn't mean you will get it.

Still, we're not Japanese. Most employers around here understand that there has to be a work-life balance and will not work you to the bone, expect you to be around just because the boss is, or anything like that.

If you have the opportunity to work/live here for a few years, I think it's worth a crack as long as you're not irrevocably abandoning a career in Ireland.

Really good post. For trips america has a lot, cities, sun, ski and amazing natural beauty. In europe you have to fly to a different country to get something different`, at least for those of us not on the continent.

I think for a lot of irish people we grow up watching TV thinking the US has everything, but once we hit adulthood we realize a lot of the things that helped us out in Irish society, like the public healthcare, subisided college and dole aren't there to the same extent people get surpised. Thing is if you have a good job, and things go smoothly you will be fine, but there is no safety net if you get ill or loose your job. I think going to the US for a few years to get the experience is a good idea, maybe its more likely you will get worked harder, but you could just as easily get stuck in a job doing 60 hour weeks in Ireland.

Only question in my mind, is how would you get the visa, Trump went hard on work visas, and Ireland has no special preference over say China or India so you are competing with a lot of people for a limited number of work H1B visas. The only way to get an edge afaik is to get a masters so you get in a smaller pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭dasdog

Actually there are very few beaches, there's golden bay on the north of the island and not much else. Healthcare is good yes, my brother just got out of hospital there. There is very little public transport and St Julian's/Valetta is just one giant traffic jam, and they all drive like lunatics. Gets unbearably hot in summer, and it's the only place in Europe with less trees than Ireland, no parks or green spaces.
    It's a hard place to live in, but does have some good things going for it.

Valletta is one of a few cities I have been to that I couldn't wait to leave. The Maltese from my experience are horrible people and the UK in the sun mix is just weird. I'd never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

dasdog wrote: »
    Valletta is one of a few cities I have been to that I couldn't wait to leave. The Maltese from my experience are horrible people and the UK in the sun mix is just weird. I'd never go back.

Oh I think they're really nice, great craic and love a drink too. Obviously helps that they all speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A lot of generalities here and its not really comparable to home as it is a completely different culture.

I work for a company that is owned by its employees which is unusual here. Based on my age I have 20 days leave a year but you have to accrue them and because of covid I havent taken anything this year so looking forward to a good "vacation"!

They pay for 70% of my medical and there is a choice of what 401k you can pay into. No slavish hours either as nobody is watching your comings and goings. We are all adults and once the work is done etc. Before covid a decent social life and everybody is treated as an equal which is refreshing.

I feel from my experience here there is a certain appreciation of Irish people not because of history but because we are generally straightforward and mostly have common sense.

It also depends on where you live as it is under appreciated how big this country is with all the different state laws. In essence you could say it is 50 different countries plus DC of course!

However it is very quiet here now and is not the place it was but there's hope in the new year for relief with a potential vaccine and having an actual leader. But if anyone is thinking coming here treat it seriously. Like anywhere it is entirely visiting on hols and living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I've long considered wanting to move to the US at some point in my life. I recognise it has some serious flaws, but my main gripe about the country is with the lack of annual leave the US (and Canada) both have. Am I right in saying the US has NO guaranteed paid leave whatsoever and it has be negotiated with an employer before hand? I also read that approximately 25% of Americans don't get ANY paid leave whatsoever? I think the average American only gets just 10 days off a year? In Canada its not much better either with 2 weeks only (and wages are also lower than the US).

AUS/NZ appear to have a similar work-life balance to that of Ireland/UK by contrast. A minimum of 4-5 weeks plus an extra 10-13 paid days for public holidays which is a pretty good deal, so I'm open to moving there also. But the lack of paid work leave is a bit of a drag about North America. I'd be ok with 3 weeks but 10 days or less would depress me.

It's a dump. Go if you want to, but the place is a kip.

Get your SS number and then enjoy you 10 days a year. Don't get pregnant though....those Americans don't play wit dat "stay home and protect a child" BS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

It's a dump. Go if you want to, but the place is a kip.

Get your SS number and then enjoy you 10 days a year. Don't get pregnant though....those Americans don't play wit dat "stay home and protect a child" BS

God you are lovely!

Funnily enough, living in the States has its benefits.

Yes if you have a decent job, the perks are better but you have to work.

Is it perfect? No. Tell me ireland is perfect and I shall call you a liar.

America has the best and worst of everything for employees. Employee protection is zero. Depending on the job you have, the benefits vary greatly.

I employ a few people here. They are completely covered with medical insurance on very good plans $250 deductible. They have 401ks which we match. Hours are flexible and we enjoy a good work life balance. Holidays / vacation time is worked up to a maximum of 20 days.

The one thing that Americans do that many Irish do not do, is give all to their work. They have to, otherwise it’s easy to let people go.

For the OP, you really have to consider negotiating with any employer. Making money here is easy. Tax is less. But.... you have to save and save hard. Most Americans are only a few paychecks away from homelessness. The culture of shopping is ingrained in people here. The price of living is not cheap here. Certain things that we take for granted as cheap in Ireland are expensive here. Cell phones, tv/cables/satellite are crazy. Electricity is cheaper than Ireland. Lately food costs have sky rocketed.

Housing (depending on where you live) can be either crazily expensive or very affordable. Take housing costs into consideration when moving and where you move to. Some states have zero personal income tax, others take a fair share. Deductions are the major difference between tax in Ireland and tax here. Use your head and you can make a nice tax refund at the end of the year.

To make money, llc’s and self employment are the way to go.

America is certainly not utopia. Then, no country on the planet is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

In Ireland if you are on a good salary between PAYE deductions and the few stealth taxes you will be paying aprox 50% of your earnings in tax.

You can guarantee you will be paying another 25-30% in either a mortgage or rent - unless you bought circa 1980.

I googled the tax brackets in different states America recently and was gobsmacked - imagine keeping 80% or 90% of what you earn depending on where you live. Unimaniginble here.

What a luxury.

shopping/wasting money on crap is entirely discretionary but imagine having the chance to keep or decide what you can do with the money you earned instead of having it frittered away and wasted by government departments.
    No wonder people can take
    flying lessons, have second
    homes and take nice holidays three or four times a year.

I’ve been for periods
    of months to San Fran, Boston, Washington and Virginia ( birzarrely!) and have to say the
    POSITIVITY of people really strikes you , they are not beaten down by mean weather and endless unaccountability. The public areas are properly
    managed and clean , there are civic
    amenities - public parks, picnic tables, managed walkways and beaches where they are clean,
    beautiful to be in and have facilities -
    and are not stalked out or people wanting to use them pestered by junkies or dossers. The police are visible and there is respect for
    the law (or they’ll shoot ya!) but joking aside
    there is accountability for peoples actions. So
    you actually get service that is
    prompt, professional and positive in government departments and facilities that are paid for by taxes are available, serviced,
    clean and good - or the manager in charge is called to account or loses their job.

Sure there are civic problems and even moreso now but assume the OP will be getting a visa through his family and WILL have somewhere to stay and won’t be drink driving, or abusing drugs or behaving so dismally he gets fired from every job he gets - then for a few years why shoildn’t he
    go and work and get to have some amazing experiences and see a country that is absolutely unlike ours in scale, climate & variety. We are so insular here now that we forget the joy of having a totally new experience right outside anything we have experienced.

Sure Australia has the beach lifestyle and chillax culture and blokey beer approach but its 40’C. Not exactly an outdoorsey 8 hour relaxzone for
    the Irish. Try a few hours outdoor sport on a dustbowl sportsground or sunbathing in 38’C
    After the disaster firestorms and unprecedented catastrophies and destruction in Oz of 2020 huge parts of the land is now ash. The fires were visible from space - many of the places you would typically want to go ( Kangaroo Island, Gold Cost, Blue Mountains, Arlie Beach and many other towns and previously beautiful areas ) are obliterated or fire razed disaster zones.

America has multiple climates, landscapes, natural beauty and protected wildlife parks
    and the kind of lifestyle choices and opportunities you could never imagine ( or have) here. The people are friendly, speak english and once
    you are helthy and work you can have incredible experiences you could never imagine here. Let the OP go and follow his dreams and experience
    something entirely different. But if he plans to go
    let him dream big and make it work for
    him and not just be pissing it aLl away week after week in an faux Irish bar with pastic paddys and alcoholics dreaminv of the old sod and makinv some american barowner rich
    like many have done in the past - not able to keep a job down or do a decent job cos they think rolling in half cut late every other day is acxeptable.

Go OP and make it happen. There are only sime times in your life you can do something like this - it sounds like it might be now. Get the family visa and have a plan - learn to helicopter pilot or fly a plane, or take up powerboating or be a crazy Redsox fan - hire a camper van and visit the willdenesses of the national parks, go to the tropics in Hawaii and watch live volcanos from your balcony, head for the hills of Vermont or Aspen and learn to ski - or hike in the Rockies and sail or camp around the great lakes of Chicago. Its an incredible country to explore and
    live in - take that chance and follow that dream. If something terrible happens you can always come home - don’t let fear trample your dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I worked there for a couple of years. I had 20 days holidays which was very good for over there.
    But after the first year in my performance review he says to me. "I see you used all 20 days of your annual leave?. What happened?"
    It was only afterwards I found out that if you dont have at least 50% of your annual leave untaken, they consider that you must not be motivated to work enough and are a slacker.

Colleagues were so surprised I had taken all my leave when I told them what happeded. Even they thought I was taking the p!ss by using my annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

In Ireland if you are on a good salary between PAYE deductions and the few stealth taxes you will be paying aprox 50% of your earnings in tax.

You can guarantee you will be paying another 25-30% in either a mortgage or rent - unless you bought circa 1980.

I googled the tax brackets in different states America recently and was gobsmacked - imagine keeping 80% or 90% of what you earn depending on where you live. Unimaniginble here.

What a luxury.

shopping/wasting money on crap is entirely discretionary but imagine having the chance to keep or decide what you can do with the money you earned instead of having it frittered away and wasted by government departments.
    No wonder people can take
    flying lessons, have second
    homes and take nice holidays three or four times a year.

That is all negated by the cost of health insurance. The Kaiser Family Foundation estimated that family insurance premiums averaged $18,142 in 2016, up 3% from 2015, with workers paying $5,277 towards that cost and employers covering the remainder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_prices_in_the_United_States#:~:text=CBO%20estimates%20the%20net%20effect,and%20employers%20covering%20the%20remainder

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, federal income taxes are well below the levels here.

But don't forget:

(1) there is also PRSI in the USA, known as FICA
    (2) there may be state income taxes
    (3) local county property taxes are way higher than here

But yes, overall taxes are lower than here.

A big reason for that is that healthcare is not mainly financed by taxes.

So you likely have to buy health insurance as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, federal income taxes are well below the levels here.

But don't forget:

(1) there is also PRSI in the USA, known as FICA
    (2) there may be state income taxes
    (3) local county property taxes are way higher than here

But yes, overall taxes are lower than here.

A big reason for that is that healthcare is not mainly financed by taxes.

So you likely have to buy health insurance as well.

Most good companies have a health insurance package - this is what keeps
    people attracted to them and working for them.
    A family member of mine moved atate borders lst
    year nd reduced his overall tax bill by 15% - just by moving 10 miles up the road.
    The difference in local tax rates to an Irish person and the option to move and choose is just incredible. Nowhere in Ireland is that possible. Nor to legally pay far less in tax by own choice of
    location.

I bought personal annual medical insurance
    here as part of my visa - both for Oz and for working in the US. The US I hd to shop around as it wasn’t a J1 visa whose insurance requirements are different but I bought a product online that covered me - and when I had to claim
    off it later after I returned to Ireland there were no quibbles.

If you take your holiday day 1 or 2 at a time and bundle them with weekends as most americans do you can on a meagre 15 day holiday plan take interesting and very good 3 and 4 day breaks over the course of a year - to their ski reaorts, tropical locations, mountain reaorts, and HOT beaches - not including national days off like Labour day, Veterns day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th July etc.

The world is a great big beautiful exciting place - no reason to stay at home fearful of what could or
    might happen in rare aNd excepetionally unlucky circumstances. Buy medical insurance here, get a job with medical cover, and follow your dreams.

Advertisement