Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Any advice for Stepdown converters? Specifically with Saturn or Dreamcast in mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Any advice for Stepdown converters? Specifically with Saturn or Dreamcast in mind :)

For those two consoles, it’s super easy to swap out the internal psu for a European one, and then no stepdown needed. You just need to make sure you’re swapping like for like, as there’s slight differences between revisions iirc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What's the best value in a consolized MVS system out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What's the best value in a consolized MVS system out there?

Wasn't there a whole new slew of them turning up on Aliexpress for a good bit cheaper than the usual?

Master of the Universe

Hmmm, had a look but can't seem to see any. There was definitely discussion about it at the beginning of this year - oooh found a review video;

https://www.reddit.com/r/neogeo/comments/8fy0ug/consolized_neo_geo_mvs_from_china_review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Inviere wrote: »
    For those two consoles, it’s super easy to swap out the internal psu for a European one, and then no stepdown needed. You just need to make sure you’re swapping like for like, as there’s slight differences between revisions iirc.

Yes swapping the PSU internally is the best option if possible. You can look a the new low heat PSUs available here soon for both Dreamcast and Saturn:

https://www.retropsu.com

That's far too much effort for me :P Probably easier to get a step down rather than a donor console?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All you will need to do is open it with a screwdriver, then never worry about plugging it into the wrong outlet again.
    Admittedly it's not as easy as swapping an N64 powersupply, but it's not far off.

That's far too much effort for me :P Probably easier to get a step down rather than a donor console?

It’s stupidly easy. They’re held in by two screws, and a simple plug connector. No donor consoles required if the above linked site is selling drop in replacements

• Advertisement

Here's some examples of the questionable eBay listings I've seen...

Sonic Adventure 2: £56
    Shenmue II: £97
    Dreamcast Fishing Controller: £233
    Dreamcast Arcade Stick: £170
    Dreamcast Box: £80+

Smaller stuff such as boxed keyboard, mouse, VMU etc all went overprived. Oh well, guess I'll go elsewhere for some boxed goodies :)
    It’s stupidly easy. They’re held in by two screws, and a simple plug connector. No donor consoles required if the above linked site is selling drop in replacements

It's about €95 for both PSUs, that's a tad pricey for something I don't really need. Not sure if a stepdown converter would be cheap as I'm not familiar. Sure I've an Action Replay on the way for the Saturn, I'll just try another boot disc for the Dreamcast since it's not loading HotD2. Other than that I don't need it, was just curious if I could easily run NTSC-J consoles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

A step down like this is perfectly fine for the those consoles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Step-Down-Converter-230-115v-100W/dp/B000L99ZJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533930163&sr=8-2&keywords=220v+step+down

Those new PSU replacements do seem expensive seeing as they're require a 12V input (not supplied) so basically just a couple of voltage regulators on a suitable pcb.

Here's some examples of the questionable eBay listings I've seen...

Dreamcast Fishing Controller: £233

That must be some rod.

Those new PSU replacements do seem expensive seeing as they're require a 12V input (not supplied) so basically just a couple of voltage regulators on a suitable pcb.

Ugh, what’s the point of them? Bit of Clockwork Knight while stuck in traffic on the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ugh, what’s the point of them? Bit of Clockwork Knight while stuck in traffic on the M50?

If they are good quality I'd be very interested in a replacement and more modern internal PSU's for my retro gear. But these seen overpriced for what they are.

A prototype of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker has been released, featuring the full version of the song Thriller and a few other differences. Prototype is dated four months prior to the games release.
    Always great seeing a new prototype released to the community:)

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Michael_Jackson's_Moonwalker_(Genesis)#Sound_and_Music

Steve X2 wrote: »
    If they are good quality I'd be very interested in a replacement and more modern internal PSU's for my retro gear. But these seen overpriced for what they are.

12v though, so rather than eliminating the need for a stepdown and being a drop in replacement, they’ll still require voltage transformation externally. Unless they’re high quality and your just looking to keep the hardware at best health

12v though, so rather than eliminating the need for a stepdown and being a drop in replacement, they’ll still require voltage transformation externally. Unless they’re high quality and your just looking to keep the hardware at best health

I’d prefer a real drop in PSU made to high quality modern standards. Smaller, cooler and with some thought put towards mods etc. But I might try one of those retro psu things for my Jap Saturn.
    I’m currently re-doing how I power all my retro gear, so I’m looking at power conditioners, higher quality cabling and of course the actual PSU’s as well(internal and external). Bloody expensive to do it right :0/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

An ATX PicoPSU would be a good alternative, should supply all the correct voltages are very reliable.

An ATX PicoPSU would be a good alternative, should supply all the correct voltages are very reliable.

Possible yes, I do have one pico psu already running some stuff. Might give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Do you reckon those ATX PicoPSUs would add any ripple noise to the image? Similar to what a badly designed switching power supply would do in the likes of a NES/SNES etc.

I've actually got a Jap Saturn arriving tomorrow! I'm considering doing this mod.

Video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8jTPoiizbQ&t=1235s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

458199.jpg

Master of the Universe

That actually hurts my brain to look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Doge wrote: »
    458199.jpg

That person needs to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Does anyone know of a courier who comes with pre-printed labels, can't print at the moment myself or leave the house to get them printed due to an injury not laziness :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Looking forward to playing T2 again and quitting the second I get to the stealth section.
    I'm terrible at FPS games but I always had a soft spot for the Timesplitters games. The third one had a great campaign.

I really enjoyed Future Perfect and it was one of the last games I played co-op. If I recall Crytek obtained Free Radical? Hopefully we'll actually see something of this though rather than just acquiring the IP and letting it die.

I thought THQ went bust and sold to other companies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

I really enjoyed Future Perfect and it was one of the last games I played co-op. If I recall Crytek obtained Free Radical? Hopefully we'll actually see something of this though rather than just acquiring the IP and letting it die.

I thought THQ went bust and sold to other companies?

Another company that bough a lot of their IPs (Nordic Games I think?) also bout the name and adopted it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement