Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ need to up their forecasting presentation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I don't understand what your point is though....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

TG4 weather girls are so hot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

no snow then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

RTE need to up their forecasting presentation

Ah, I get it - you want the weather forecast broadcast in Irish, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Comhra wrote: »
    Ah, I get it - you want the weather forecast broadcast in Irish, don't you?
    No.
    I want to see Evelyn singing the rain, Gerry twirling the wind, Joanna putting more oomph in the frost

• Advertisement

TG4 presenters, will we see warm weather again?
    DVmmYidX4AEQkpp.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 22,123 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They should give these guys a go

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Joanna Donnelly is about as much as you are going to get RTÉ to 'up' their forecasting presentation, she is a bit more personable than the rest.

Met É and RTÉ take this stuff seriously, they are the forecast of record and both are a public service. Yes, its a bit staid, but you can't say you don't get the facts, clearly and dispassionately.

Me, I'd take that any day of the week over..... "And its a very happy 107th baaaarthday to Agnes, who is going to get a few spots of rain over her house tomorrow but it'll clear up lovely for the weekend, great drying out for you Agnes!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Joanna Donnelly is about as much as you are going to get RTÉ to 'up' their forecasting presentation, she is a bit more personable than the rest.

Met É and RTÉ take this stuff seriously, they are the forecast of record and both are a public service. Yes, its a bit staid, but you can't say you don't get the facts, clearly and dispassionately.

Me, I'd take that any day of the week over..... "And its a very happy 107th baaaarthday to Agnes, who is going to get a few spots of rain over her house tomorrow but it'll clear up lovely for the weekend, great drying out for you Agnes!!"

Not so seriously that they can be arsed to switch on the spell checker. This weeks forecast on Met Éireann:

NATIONAL OUTLOOK
    General: Cool at first, but much milder later in the week and next weekend.

Cold and dry for most of Monday night, with some frost, but rain will arrive in Atlatc ;) coastal counties before dawn. Lowest temperatures between 0 and +4 degrees, but values will rise later in the night. Light breezes generally but fresh southerly winds will develop on western coasts later.

Tuesday will start dry in the east. Rain in the west will spread to all parts during the day, in fresh southerly winds. Top temperatures of 9 to 12 degrees. The rain will clear early Tuesday night to isolated showers. Lows of 3 to 5 degrees, so no frost.

Wednesday will be a cool, brrezy :rolleyes: day with sunshine and showers. Top temperatures 9 tyo :o 12 C.

Thursday and Friday will be milder days, with moderate to fresh south to southwest winds. Rather cloudy overall with possibly some mist and drizzle on Atlantic coasts. But some bright weather too, best in the east of the couhtry :eek:. Temperatures should be in the mid teens, locally higher in any bright spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MackQ wrote: »
    Not so seriously that they can be arsed to switch on the spell checker. This weeks forecast on Met Éireann:

NATIONAL OUTLOOK
    General: Cool at first, but much milder later in the week and next weekend.

Cold and dry for most of Monday night, with some frost, but rain will arrive in Atlatc ;) coastal counties before dawn. Lowest temperatures between 0 and +4 degrees, but values will rise later in the night. Light breezes generally but fresh southerly winds will develop on western coasts later.

Tuesday will start dry in the east. Rain in the west will spread to all parts during the day, in fresh southerly winds. Top temperatures of 9 to 12 degrees. The rain will clear early Tuesday night to isolated showers. Lows of 3 to 5 degrees, so no frost.

Wednesday will be a cool, brrezy :rolleyes: day with sunshine and showers. Top temperatures 9 tyo :o 12 C.

Thursday and Friday will be milder days, with moderate to fresh south to southwest winds. Rather cloudy overall with possibly some mist and drizzle on Atlantic coasts. But some bright weather too, best in the east of the couhtry :eek:. Temperatures should be in the mid teens, locally higher in any bright spells.

jesus, thats like i wrote it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I will say I constantly notice errors in the written forecast. It's like they rush to get it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I will say I constantly notice errors in the written forecast. It's like they rush to get it up!

Have to say spelling errors on the site and on the TV forecasts don't bother me in the least. Small scale issue in the greater scheme of things.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Have to say spelling errors on the site and on the TV forecasts don't bother me in the least. Small scale issue in the greater scheme of things.

It looks very unprofessional in my opinion and would make you doubt their thoroughness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Jean Byrne looks to be heading to a rubber fetish party or something tonight :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

To be honest it always seems like they are heading to a wedding or some kind of party, why can they not wear ordinary simple clothes were not interested in the clothes they are wearing only the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

murpho999 wrote: »
    It looks very unprofessional in my opinion and would make you doubt their thoroughness.

While undesirable I think you will find that there is such pressure on the actual forecasting preparation side, where the thoroughness is absolutely essential, that on occasions spelling errors slip through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

TG4 weather girls are so hot. :D

She's no Michael Fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

piuswal wrote: »
    While undesirable I think you will find that there is such pressure on the actual forecasting preparation side, where the thoroughness is absolutely essential, that on occasions spelling errors slip through.

There is a controversial suggestion here that they, like us, are just human...

New Moon

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I missed this myself but apparently Siobhan Ryan had a bit of a nightmare presenting the forecast on RTE last week.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/entertainment/entertainmenttv/rte-weather-presenter-siobhan-ryan-has-hilarious-blunder-during-report/ar-BBLd9Ha?li=BBr5KbJ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

> than BBC

I can barely understand this Donegal speech, had to listen a few times, at least he speaks slowly. Imagine if RTE1 weather presenters had such a seriously strong regional diction!
    https://twitter.com/TG4TV/status/1326963740806406144?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The main issue is their terrible and frequently inconsistent graphics - yesterday was a case in point. For Friday it was sun from behind the cloud symbols but on the 5 day summary graphic it was rain clouds. This is typical of them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Since when did weather forecast presenting turn into a Lovely Girl Festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

True indeed...but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect higher standards from a national broadcaster. They have a full panoply of backroom assistants, editors etc.-and every technological gadget going. The small things are actually the easiest to get right.
    It's the same ding--dong every year, not like they have to deal with new concepts.
    Apart from events like anti-cyclones or storms..it's basically the same ...rainy in the west , drier in the east, colder in the north , warmer in the south, most things 'average for the time of year '.
    In fact they could replay most of last year's forecasts and we'd hardly notice much difference.

The main issue is their terrible and frequently inconsistent graphics - yesterday was a case in point. For Friday it was sun from behind the cloud symbols but on the 5 day summary graphic it was rain clouds. This is typical of them unfortunately.

They put a temperature figure in the middle of the map which is absolutely meaningless. It's ostensibly a high but no indication of when or where it might occur.

• Advertisement

They plonk a temperature figure in the middle of the map which is connected to nothing specific and therefore totally meaningless

Advertisement