Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeworld 3

• 30-08-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Paging all Kiiths :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That it's going to be a crowdfunded game is ... ... surprising. Honestly I don't trust Gearbox in the first place as a company, and the idea alone of a AAA using crowdfunding for a game feels deeply cynical.

Love Homeworld, and the idea of a new RTS in the world, but without knowing the finer details, there's just no way I'll contribute to this campaign.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The crowdfunding of this is very peculiar. Gearbox should be very flush from cash from the Epic Games payment for Borderlands 3, with loads more to come from the actual release, yet they aren't financing it themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looking at the fig page they look more like special edition rewards rather than funding the actual game?

The funding goal is only a dollar

They do say its very early in development atm though so it may be to guage interest in the game. A good homeworld game is always a good thing in my book though so hopefully it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Crowdfunding has just become a way of gauging interest and getting free promotion. They are financing it themselves. You see it all the time now with major companies, crowdfunding with minor goals that wouldn't be a drop in the ocean of actual development overhead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Homelander wrote: »
    Crowdfunding has just become a way of gauging interest and getting free promotion. They are financing it themselves. You see it all the time now with major companies, crowdfunding with minor goals that wouldn't be a drop in the ocean of actual development overhead.

As I type the campaign has amassed 250,000 dollars, so if what you say is true Gearbox have basically garnered a ¼ million quid on goodwill donations - money they scarcely need for a game they're well capable of making themselves. It flies in the face of what crowdfunding is meant to be there for IMO.

Hell the cynic in me automatically wonders how much of the final total will go straight in Randy Pitchfords pocket. Anyone can gauge interest for free, Gearbox are just following in the footsteps of AAA industry and nickel & dining the market

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    As I type the campaign has amassed 250,000 dollars, so if what you say is true Gearbox have basically garnered a ¼ million quid on goodwill donations - money they scarcely need for a game they're well capable of making themselves. It flies in the face of what crowdfunding is meant to be there for IMO.

Hell the cynic in me automatically wonders how much of the final total will go straight in Randy Pitchfords pocket. Anyone can gauge interest for free, Gearbox are just following in the footsteps of AAA industry and nickel & dining the market

Not really seeing how its different from people pre ordering the game?

I dont usually pre order these days but there is a load of people who still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Spear wrote: »
    The crowdfunding of this is very peculiar. Gearbox should be very flush from cash from the Epic Games payment for Borderlands 3, with loads more to come from the actual release, yet they aren't financing it themselves?
    They are financing it themselves, the current amount of $252,880 is probably enough to pay the salaries for what, three senior employees for a year of dev time?

Generally speaking, folk need to remember that this isn't just about crowd funding for the game, it's on Fig so it serves two additional purposes - it provides investment opportunities for backers at the $500 level and, arguably of greater importance, it will generate interest in not just the game but for Fig as a platform.

Why are these relevant? Well, in the former case, as I mentioned in the Gaming News thread, this has already worked out quite well for investors in Phoenix Point based on current levels of ROI. As for Fig, Pitchford himself has been on the Advisory Board of the company since last year so the presence of such a high profile title will most certainly aid in increasing the profile of the site.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hmm, never have i been so happy and worried at the same time. It'll almost certainly be an Epic Store exclusive (which i really dislike, even if the hate it gets is way over the top at this stage), and i don't particularly like the crowdfunding/fig aspect, but damn if i'm not excited to see a new Homeworld game.

If they **** it up, i'll be more then a little bit mad :P

EoinHef wrote: »
    Not really seeing how its different from people pre ordering the game?

I dont usually pre order these days but there is a load of people who still do.

Lots of people still smoke, doesn't make it a smart move ;)

The campaign's up to $440,000 now as I read it.

It's mostly an issue of principle: crowdfunding is a communal concept for small studios to chase funds and support; equally the notion of ordinary people 'investing' in a game brings with it a sense of transparency and community (not always of course, but often they do) not necessarily common with the industry.

AAA companies using it to basically get free money they don't need feels deeply cynical (just checking the FIG, and 19 backers have gone in at the $1000 level). Given every second news story is about some shady ass way a AAA company is gouging users, or using gambling methodologies to nickel & dime folks, I'm not convinced this isn't another flavour of this behaviour. With Randy Pitchford involved, I just automatically assume the money will find its way into his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's mostly an issue of principle: crowdfunding is a communal concept for small studios to chase funds and support; equally the notion of ordinary people 'investing' in a game brings with it a sense of transparency and community (not always of course, but often they do) not necessarily common with the industry.

AAA companies using it to basically get free money they don't need feels deeply cynical (just checking the FIG, and 19 backers have gone in at the $1000 level). Given every second news story is about some shady ass way a AAA company is gouging users, or using gambling methodologies to nickel & dime folks, I'm not convinced this isn't another flavour of this behaviour. With Randy Pitchford involved, I just automatically assume the money will find its way into his pocket.

I think there will come a tipping point where buying digital stuff in discrete transactions virtually disappears.

The patronage, freemium or subscription models make more sense for work that is valued not in what it produces (because software is worthless and can be duplicated infinitely and transmitted virtually for free) but in the labour as its happening.

Ultimately, I don't give a **** as long as the game gets made and is good.
    The issues arise with this if you see something like Star Citizen, where it almost looks like a cult at this stage, or a game where the individual just pockets all the money invested in it.

I'd rather have an environment where relatively small but really passionate communities can be catered to with relatively niche content, rather than that not being the case.

I certainly don't trust Randy Pitchford. He comes across as a serious piece of ****. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

• Advertisement

Never said it was a smart move,just that people still do it.

Not sure how its free money,people who pay will be due a copy of the game. Just like any other pre order. Whats the difference in having a €1000 collectors edition that sells on amazon for pre order or selling it via fig?

I certainly wont be putting my money down but if people want to who am i to tell them its a bad idea even if i think its too early to put miney down.

Seems you have decided what you feel crowdfunding is,fair enough. But im not seeing how this is a crowdfunded game when the goal is $1. Nobody has to invest,the game will still be made

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Not a fan of the wobble from the barrel. Makes it look a bit silly.

Yeah, the animation of the frigate weapon itself isn't great, but the particle effects and ship damage...that looks amazing.

Seeing weapons punch through the hull is something i will never not love to see.

Gameplay trailer looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Release Q2 2023 Yikes!!!! wonder if this still holds true now in 2023

Been such a slow burn, since Sep 30, 2019.

Seeing the Video above does make me nostalgic\excited for the release though.

Hope they capture the grandiose of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

That's looking great, can't wait :)

Will be playing through the first two again before this releases. The 1st game still stands out as one of my favourite games of all time...coming back to Khaarak in the 3rd mission...oh boy 😪

A pity but as is often said, more time for game development can mean more polish and time to refine what works?

• Advertisement

Demo for the War Games part has been released to some people, with general public getting it on the 15th. Very mixed signs from what i've read so far, with sluggish controls and ui issues sounding like the main issues.

Really hope they don't **** this up.

And they've delayed it till May after taking feedback on the demo. Good to hear.

Advertisement