Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

1787980818284»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

My belief is that the DES should be dealing with any issues of suspected poor practice in teacher grading before the grades advance officially through any standardisation process. After that point (once they accept the grades as being reasonable predictions made in good faith based on acceptable factors) they should be accepting all responsibility for the grades.

Absolutely. School management should be in no rush in passing the results onto the DES.

If, for example , I give a student a grade that is wildly out of kilter with the evidence, it’s up to Management to tap me on the shoulder for an explanation.

Not some solicitor. Give schools time to ready the results,but teachers ( and management) must be able to rest easy once they’re kicked down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Very good points. And what , exactly, constitutes not acting bona fide? The more you pore over that little paragraph, the more dumb the TUI position becomes.

Well I suppose if you are taking the piss with the grades you award with no evidence to back it up, and your professional judgement inflates them beyond what might be reasonably expected under normal circumstances. Particularly when there are sets of grades for that school to compare them against.

But let's say the student's case argued that they should have got higher than H4. Court agrees and says it should have been at least H3 or tells DES to go back and review the grade. Student is awarded their costs (and they've done a Rebecca Carter and gone to the High Court so it can be heard before CAO offers are finalised for 20/21 college year).

Can DES claim that teacher inflated the grade (and all their other grades) and therefore did not act in bona fide and that the case wouldn't have come about if they had graded accurately in the first place, leaving the teacher with part of the expensive high court bill?

Absolutely. School management should be in no rush in passing the results onto the DES.

If, for example , I give a student a grade that is wildly out of kilter with the evidence, it’s up to Management to tap me on the shoulder for an explanation.

Not some solicitor. Give schools time to ready the results,but teachers ( and management) must be able to rest easy once they’re kicked down the line.

There will probably be some people in management around the country who will be keen to have improved results this year. Teachers who have graded fairly will have to stand firm on grades awarded in this instance.

My belief is that the DES should be dealing with any issues of suspected poor practice in teacher grading before the grades advance officially through any standardisation process. After that point (once they accept the grades as being reasonable predictions made in good faith based on acceptable factors) they should be accepting all responsibility for the grades.

I agree. If it gets to the stage that your principal/DP have signed off on it and the DES think your grades are in line with previous years for your school and don't adjust them, then I don't see why a teacher should be held accountable at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

. Teacher on Joe Duffy saying that the school is trying to force him to change grades as the parent has found out the calculated grade somehow.
    Says he was also told to up CBA grades before.

Teacher emailed student advising them to drop... Parent outraged (but doesn't realise the teacher was probably trying to help him out by giving a heads up).

Grab popcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Treppen wrote: »
    . Teacher on Joe Duffy saying that the school is trying to force him to change grades as the parent has found out the calculated grade somehow.
    Says he was also told to up CBA grades.

Teacher emailed student advising them to drop... Parent outraged (but doesn't realise the teacher was probably trying to help him out by giving a heads up).

Grab popcorn

CBA results?

km79 wrote: »
    CBA results?

Yup ... You gotta switch this on. Joe is like the svengali of public hysteria.

Looks like we're going to go plan C now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Just listening to it now... I missed the start... what was the issue that that parent had with her son being advised to do OL?

Just listening to it now... I missed the start... what was the issue that that parent had with her son being advised to do OL?

This was when teachers were advised not to contact students. It was possibly inferring that the teacher would be failing the student...or maybe the student might get more points with the calculated ordinary level grade. Parent is outraged... Teacher should have just failed the student and said nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m calling shenanigans on that “email”.
    For a start CBAs are not state exams . J Certs are not having state exams this year .
    I can’t listen to a minute more of this . Gift Grub is very accurate !

• Advertisement

This was when teachers were advised not to contact students. It was possibly inferring that the teacher would be failing the student...or maybe the student might get more points with the calculated ordinary level grade. Parent is outraged... Teacher should have just failed the student and said nothing

Oh no, the teacher contacted the student since we were told not to? What were they thinking?
    This whole situation is such a mess

km79 wrote: »
    I’m calling shenanigans on that “email”.
    For a start CBAs are not state exams . J Certs are not having state exams this year .
    I can’t listen to a minute more of this . Gift Grub is very accurate !

Well Treppen said 'also up the CBA grades', so taking it at face value then the school is asking them to up LC and JC grades.

But again taking it at face value if the teacher sent them an email advising them to drop level then the teacher is in the wrong, that clearly implies they are being told they would not pass HL.

But the whole notion of the parent finding out the calculated grade, how is that possible?

I wonder was the teacher's identity verified by Joe's researchers?

Oh no, the teacher contacted the student since we were told not to? What were they thinking?

Probably trying to do the student a favour.

First rule of teaching... No favours.

My response to students "I have no favourites I hate ye all equally".

There was always going to be incidents like this. I expect more to be honest.

what an absolute mess

Well Treppen said 'also up the CBA grades', so taking it at face value then the school is asking them to up LC and JC grades.

But again taking it at face value if the teacher sent them an email advising them to drop level then the teacher is in the wrong, that clearly implies they are being told they would not pass HL.

But the whole notion of the parent finding out the calculated grade, how is that possible?

I wonder was the teacher's identity verified by Joe's researchers?

Regards the teacher thinking the school possibly released the grade to a parent:

Not necessarily in this case but a tactic teachers need to be aware of when disclosing any info thinking it's a casual conversation.

Sometimes on rare occasions parents inflate any bit of info to strongarm an outcome. Parent could have been bluffing and started scattergunning everyone with phonecalls until they got information ... Then went onto someone else and said " Mr X told me this... Or Principal Y told me this".
    It's a very clever tactic I've seen once or twice, it helps to escalate a gripe very quickly and implicate other people so you get your way.

Like ringing different customer service agents multiple times until you get a bit of info to use for next call. I do this a lot :pac:

I appreciate that the teacher in question was trying to help their student, but they are nowin a God-awful situation that is partially of their own making. I'm here still wading through the document on a "break" from correcting house exams. I won't be sad to see the back of this academic year.

There was always going to be incidents like this. I expect more to be honest.

what an absolute mess

Backs up your point on indemnity rainbowtrout ... Now we can probably find out who that parent was... Who her child was... Who the maths teacher was.
    It's in the public domain now and that teacher is ****** for trying to do the kid a favour.

The teacher who's supposedly written the whistleblowing email should just contact his Union asap. This is something they could easily lend their weight to.
    Which is why the letter/email seems a bit rum

Regards the teacher thinking the school possibly released the grade to a parent:

Not necessarily in this case but a tactic teachers need to be aware of when disclosing any info thinking it's a casual conversation.

Sometimes on rare occasions parents inflate any bit of info to strongarm an outcome. Parent could have been bluffing and started scattergunning everyone with phonecalls until they got information ... Then went onto someone else and said " Mr X told me this... Or Principal Y told me this".
    It's a very clever tactic I've seen once or twice, it helps to escalate a gripe very quickly and implicate other people so you get your way.

Like ringing different customer service agents multiple times until you get a bit of info to use for next call. I do this a lot :pac:

Well one way or another, if that was their tactic, the school should have said 'sorry we can't release the grade, grades haven't been calculated yet (which they shouldn't be), and then checked with the teacher in question as to what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Teachers really are a law to themselves, they are going to place the future of ever leaving cert in 2020 at jeopardy with their non co-operation . They often refer to the welfare of their students, a load of b7llocks to cover up their own laziness and air of self importance.

When people clap in the evenings for front line workers like nurses we most certainly arent clapping for the lazy teachers !! In fact when public sector pay is discussed those lazy teachers should be given a pay cut and give it to the nurses who arent off half the year on holidays .

Ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

Ah folks, do we have to take a swing at everyone that wanders in here and says something? It's not as if their minds will be changed byour anything we say. Don't bother, like!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Closing this AGAIN until the trolls feck off and there are clear guidelines that we can discuss. Anything else is speculation and not really worthwhile.
    Thank you to those reporting posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement