Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car tax question

• 04-05-2020 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

If I buy a car with the car tax just out since the end of April and I plan to take it off the road for a few months can I do that once the log book arrives or would I have to tax it first for 3 months before I declare it off the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Not sure exactly but I think most you would have to pay is one month of arrears when declaring it off the road, the system is set up for this, you wont need to tax it for three.

You might be able to contact them or do it by post to not pay anything but generally the car has to be taxed to make the off the road declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Cucullan wrote: »
    If I buy a car with the car tax just out since the end of April and I plan to take it off the road for a few months can I do that once the log book arrives or would I have to tax it first for 3 months before I declare it off the road?

As far as I know, it can be declared off the road within 21 days of the date of purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

@Paddy001 is on the ball.
    You get 21 days from the date of purchase which is filled out on the form

offroad.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Thanks for the replies 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

......And you don't even need to wait for the VLC to arrive in the post.
    Just keep an eye on motortax.ie and once the change of ownership is noted you can then declare it off the road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement