Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many times does your car require repair during the year?

Options
  • 04-05-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

So this is a poll survey.

Other than servicing, how many times does your car require repair during the year?

You can write your car's brand and model in this thread.

Apart from the annual service how often does your car require repair? 30 votes

83% 25 votes
    13% 4 votes
    0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What do the numbers refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I don't understand the question. "Apart from the annual service how often does your car require service" makes no sense.

Are you asking:

a) how many times a year does your car require servicing? Mileage and model dependent surely.
    b) other than servicing, how many times does your car require repair during the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Whenever it breaks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My 93 Corolla is used 3 or 4 times a week. I serviced it in 2013 when I bought it then in 2015 and hasn't been serviced since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

Every six months, or every 5000km or whenever the hell I can bother.

I've run it out to 8k between services.

Factory interval is 10k - but that eats the bearings if you try oilchanges at that interval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am asking b)

I have updated the question now
    sumo12 wrote: »
    I don't understand the question. "Apart from the annual service how often does your car require service" makes no sense.

Are you asking:

a) how many times a year does your car require servicing? Mileage and model dependent surely.
    b) other than servicing, how many times does your car require repair during the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

The poll makes no sense....

I have a mk1 focus. Serviced every 10k miles since new.
    Increased servicing recently to every 5k miles.
    May drop to 3k miles. Small job. Only take 30mins

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No option for “0”

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No option for “0”

Yes I need that option too....

2012 Auris Hybrid. Serviced 3 or 4 times a year every 15,000 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Theres only two options really.

As per manufacturers guidelines or sooner as appeases the owners beliefs.

Far too many variables to say anything more without mentioning a specific make and model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends on the age of the car too. Some people are running older cars, some people running new cars.

So what you save in repairs, you pay in depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i have a 98 Astra and 2008 zafira (opel service) Astra i service myself, have to say 0, never needed a fire extinguisher on the Zafira either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

2012 Avensis service once a year and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Beyond its annual / km distance based services, basically never.

I’ve had Toyota hybrids for quite a long time now and none of them have ever had a repair, beyond normal service calls or minor cosmetic issues where some moron dinged the car in a car park (myself included in that moron description).

But in terms of breakdowns - hasn’t ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Why do you ask, OP? You having trouble?

I've had a 07 Mazda 3 1.6 petrol saloon for 6 years. Although I do fairly little mileage (<3000 pa) I service it yearly - well the auld fella does but I'll absorb the steps at some stage. We had a bit of play in the wishbone arms (MOT advisory) a few years ago so swapped them out. That's it since I've owned it, so I can't really click anything in your poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

beauf wrote: »
    Depends on the age of the car too. Some people are running older cars, some people running new cars.

And there's no diffentiation between mechanical repairs and damage repairs.

I could have the most reliable car in the world but if I'm going to wrap it around a pole every so often, it's going to need to be repaired.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

beauf wrote: »

Or if you wait long enough and get lucky you may actually get appreciation. :D

Poll wise, repair wouldn't be a yearly thing. Needed a front wheel bearing last year, before that a dizzy cap and rotor and coil, but that must be five or six years ago now, an alternator repair about three years ago and a few rubber bushings I did over the years, but that's it really. Around 5-600 quid's worth in parts and labour as I mostly tackled the jobs myself over 14 years of ownership.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends how old and how much mileage you do. On one car we had nothing for years then from about 16 yrs old, the repairs started mounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I put in 1 as there's no zero option, my car ( 2 nd Honda insight hasn't been in a garage, neither had my old one- never)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

I put in 1 as there's no zero option, my car ( 2 nd Honda insight hasn't been in a garage, neither had my old one- never)

I put in 5 as this poll is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I put in 3 because nobody else had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I put in 3 because nobody else had.

I put in 4 cus you put in 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Entirely depends on the owner too. People have commented on numerous occasions that I seem to always have "problems" with my car.

The reality is, I like to take time looking after it, and do reasonable preventative maintenance, because I rely on it.

Even very basic things like making sure the car is tracking straight, wheels are balanced and tyre wear is even keeps pressure off the suspension bushings, less vibration, etc. reduces the likelihood of other issues. In some peoples eyes, any visit to a garage is a "problem" and I include servicing in that.

I'd like to do more, but don't have a garage, and there's only so much I can do on a modern diesel hybrid, without a professional mechanic.

Advertisement