Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 Toyota Hilux stall

• 28-04-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,

Perhaps some of the wise sages of the motor forum might help with suggestions for my Hilux.

I was driving along in 5th gear, about 80kmph when the engine seemed to just completely lose power. Foot to the floor and no power whatsoever. Had to get a tow and mechanic who was first to inspect it changed the fuel filter, thinking that might have been the problem. It wasn't. It's a 2016 2.5L diesel manual Hilux. Only have the jeep 6 weeks and have only clocked up 900km on it. I bought it with a 3 month warranty but the dealer I bought from has closed, (hopefully only temporarily) and they are unavailable to contact. The jeep was perfect up until this incident. Really clean drive, only 70k miles + 1 previous owner and full toyota service history.

The mechanic said he didnt want to troubleshoot anymore, in case it voided my warranty but he said he will sort it if he gets the go ahead from the dealer. He is able to start the jeep when he has it hooked up to his computer diagnostic system, but no other way. No error codes popping up, he said the engine is running well and that there don't appear to be any clear mechanical issues. In his opinion it is most likely a problem with a sensor(possibly fuel pressure sensor) or other electronic issue but he didnt want to continue until I got the Ok from the dealer.

Has anyone experienced this issue in any of the toyota d4-d engines before?

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Ask mechanic to log live fuel pressure and check for greater than 250 BAR fuel rail pressure when cranking. Anything less and injectors wont fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I'm not certain of the pump spec on the 2KD engine in the Hilux, but I'm sure it's similar to the landcruiser 1KD engine... They have the same timing mechanism etc.. so perhaps suction control valves on the pump might be a possibility. They won't prevent the engine starting or driving, but the power is unreliable and often flatlines when you put the boot in.. It's not uncommon on these, but usually they last well over 150,000 km before giving out. I've put in two sets over the course of 500,000. Just a suggestion of course... I don't know if they throw error codes

Advertisement