Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching remotely

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I asked on another thread about ideas for engaging students.

My 6th years are the worst, weakish OL group with no love for the subject but would always work awayin class, homework would be donebut not a lot of effort put in. They're probably not helped by the fact that we have the course finished and now that exams are further away

1st and 2nd years doing well for the most part but my third years are noticably in decline sinve Easter too. (Don't have 5th years) TYs are hit and miss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I set up Quizlet classes this week. Thought it would be a fun way to get them to learn vocab. Less than half have signed up. I've tried setting Google classroom assignments but that only helped a little.

I don't know how we'll keep doing for another 6 weeks if they're on a downward trajectory. My 6th years have a live class next week but I'm expected 2/3 out of 16 to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I asked on another thread about ideas for engaging students.

My 6th years are the worst, weakish OL group with no love for the subject but would always work awayin class, homework would be donebut not a lot of effort put in. They're probably not helped by the fact that we have the course finished and now that exams are further away

1st and 2nd years doing well for the most part but my third years are noticably in decline sinve Easter too. (Don't have 5th years) TYs are hit and miss.

I only had a quick look at it - edpuzzle - YouTube videos but you put questions throughout - that's my understanding of it.

For the language teachers - duolingo for schools allows you set a topic on whatever topic you're doing. I only set this up yesterday so not much engagement (except myself :) )

Anyone know how to change a pdf into a form for free? I used Google slides but result wasn't what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I record a video lesson and attach an assignment to it. The kids have to watch the video, take down their notes/examples etc before attempting the assignment. It seems to engage them a lot more than just uploading an exam paper question and asking them to do it.
    My 3rd years have definitely declined since Easter, I had to chase a few this week.
    I've 3 kids in a weak 6th year OL group that I've never seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    I record a video lesson and attach an assignment to it. The kids have to watch the video, take down their notes/examples etc before attempting the assignment. It seems to engage them a lot more than just uploading an exam paper question and asking them to do it.
    My 3rd years have definitely declined since Easter, I had to chase a few this week.
    I've 3 kids in a weak 6th year OL group that I've never seen!

I hope you remembered social distancing - sorry I couldn't resist :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We all got emails from management this morning telling us to contact parents if students are not attending online classes.

It makes me angry. I'm doing my best to provide live classes, assignments and teach as best I can while minding my own kids.

I do not have time to be contacting a load of parents who should know the story at this stage.

/rant over.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We all got emails from management this morning telling us to contact parents if students are not attending online classes.

It makes me angry. I'm doing my best to provide live classes, assignments and teach as best I can while minding my own kids.

I do not have time to be contacting a load of parents who should know the story at this stage.

/rant over.

That's ridiculous, it's not your job to get the kids out of bed and on to the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭doc_17

/rant over.

Not your job.com

The management seem to be taking the Homer Simpson approach of “can’t someone else do it”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

doc_17 wrote: »
    Not your job.com

The management seem to be taking the Homer Simpson approach of “can’t someone else do it”

Ha, I think our management are fielding calls from irate parents giving out because their own kids aren't engaging... And what were we going to do about getting them engaged :pac:

Increasingly you'll start to see more and more requests from above asking you who's not engaging and to what extent.... Not too sure how I feel about this extra paperwork, which will result in little success.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Some so called managers arent doing a feckin thing!
    Many do not have classes to teach.
    They are annoying teachers because they have to show ,at their weekly meeting,that they did something the previous week!
    This is the reality and if you think its any different you are living in a false world!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Absolutely not the teachers job to be getting in touch with parents!! And what, ring them from your own mobile so they'd have your number? No way. We're giving names to the office. Makes more sense for principal/deputy principal to do it. They can collect names and then say Mary isn't engaging in 7 subjects, rather than parents getting 7 phone calls.

Well, zoom didn't go to well for the Institute today, shocking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

That's ridiculous, it's not your job to get the kids out of bed and on to the laptop.

We were told the same...email parents and the students :(

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Curiosity is killing me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

We had to collate lists of students not working last week for management. Even that was enough work for me, without having to contact them myself.

As said above, much easier for management to do it. They can tell the parents which platforms and which subjects the child is not engaging with all in one phone call. I wouldn’t like to be the 9th teacher ringing some of them!

Online class, someone from other part of the world logged in, pulled out a gun waved it around and put it in his mouth. Started shouting abuse at people. Class was abruptly ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Online class, someone from other part of the world logged in, pulled out a gun waved it around and put it in his mouth. Started shouting abuse at people. Class was abruptly ended.

In your class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

There’s been instances were strangers hacked in to zoom classes and weren’t part of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

[QUI OTE=TheValeyard;113284082]We all got emails from management this morning telling us to contact parents if students are not attending online classes.

/rant over.[/QUOTE]

I find that most annoying. It's the last thing you need to be doing. Is there no way for teachers to inform management of who is attending and who is not and let management take it from there?

You could have a situation where a number of teachers are contacting the same parents. And that could be counter productive.

How you are supposed to contact them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

bobbyss wrote: »
    [QUI OTE=TheValeyard;113284082]We all got emails from management this morning telling us to contact parents if students are not attending online classes.

/rant over.

I find that most annoying. It's the last thing you need to be doing. Is there no way for teachers to inform management of who is attending and who is not and let management take it from there?

You could have a situation where a number of teachers are contacting the same parents. And that could be counter productive.

How you are supposed to contact them?[/quote]

We were using vsware to track student engagement and assignment submission and management asked us to stop as parents were ringing complaining about all the notes on vsware. We didn't give notes where we were aware of access/IT issues/ personal circumstances etc. but still we had to stop. Now we go through yearheads who ring home. Huge amount of extra work for them. And it is less transparent who is and isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

/rant over.
    You should write your own email saying it’s your job to teach the class it’s managements job to check on attendance, let them email/phone the parents. No way I am contacting parents in the present climate, we have no idea what’s happening in any students home life right now.

km79 wrote: »
    In your class?

No, happened in a school in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No, happened in a school in Dublin

Was the person who did that a student of the class? Or was it a case of hacking or poor security? I believe you can use a waiting room feature now on Zoom so even people with the link have to be accepted to the meeting by the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Was the person who did that a student of the class? Or was it a case of hacking or poor security? I believe you can use a waiting room feature now on Zoom so even people with the link have to be accepted to the meeting by the host.

That's what is the procedure when we join our staff meetings.

Complete stranger it seems, probably poor security. But havent heard hacking or a poor setup, be interested to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

We have been advised with child protection not to use Zoom or Skype. If we need to talk to kids-call the parents and ask to speak to the Child.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    We have been advised with child protection not to use Zoom or Skype. If we need to talk to kids-call the parents and ask to speak to the Child.

Who advised that? Not even teams or Google classroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im just using email, its history so easy enough. keeping it as simple as we can is the only way to mind everyones wellbeing. i use a video to narrate over the notes once a week or explain the process of answering exam question to 5th years. Please teachers do not be under pressure to use IT your not comfortable with. if email is working thats great stick to it. Any principal putting pressure on teachers to use X,Y or Z , new fangled IT wants to go and get themselves a life.

the students who will be there tuned into zoom or whatever it is will still be the ones to have their work in on bang on deadline by email. the ones you dont here dickiebird from will not be there for zoom either. Im 36 and ok with tech to a degree but i think keep it simple and do what works for you is my advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement