Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seligehgit wrote: »
    Tad surprised Padraig O Hora did not start on Sunday,he'd done little wrong thus far in the league.He was'nt named amongst the substitutes in the match day program either.

Anyway he's going to feature as a participant on Monday night on RTE2 at 21.35 in season 2 of Special Forces: Ultimate Hell Week.

Can't say I've ever heard of it but I'll definitely give it a look.

From what I heard he was named to start but was sick so was replaced I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Blackjack wrote: »
    From what I heard he was named to start but was sick so was replaced I think?

I heard similar. Sick mid week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes,O Hora was sick and thats why he wasnt in the squad last Sunday.If he keeps going as good as he has been he'll be starting in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

HBC08 wrote: »
    Yes,O Hora was sick and thats why he wasnt in the squad last Sunday.If he keeps going as good as he has been he'll be starting in the summer.

Im not sure about that tbh. He looks for contact a bit too much for me. A surefire way to get turned over in your own half. Easily something he could change but at present id pick barrett harrison and mullen ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Padraig O Hora is some man.

Still hanging tough after week one of that hellish challenge.

• Advertisement

Im not sure about that tbh. He looks for contact a bit too much for me. A surefire way to get turned over in your own half. Easily something he could change but at present id pick barrett harrison and mullen ahead of him.

If Oisin Mullin lives up to his promise IMO he's a certainty to start come the summer irrespective of his age.He's frightening pace and appears to be a great reader of the game.A young Zippy mark 2!

Depends on what James Horan read is on Eoin O Donoghue.He'll surely contend strongly against Chris Barrett when you consider Chris is in the later stage of his playing career.

Padraig O Hora has in the main started in the half back line thus far.I've seen him start for the Stephenites in both the full back and half back lines.He's a very honest combative and aggressive footballer in the very best sense but I agree with your point re the contact fault line.

He doesn't strike me as the paciest footballer which will impede his ability to compete for a berth in the half back line?I could be totally wrong.He is a super option to have in the mix though.

Mayo v Monaghan will be shown on TG4 on Sunday ( Deferred Coverage ).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Whats the story with Fionn McDonagh? I know there were rumours at the start of the year and I don't want to talk about those but does anyone know definitively if he is still on the panel?

Edwin McGreal has mentioned him twice now on the mayo news podcast, once before the Donegal game I think and again in the Monaghan preview. Don't know where McGreal is from so maybe he has an agenda but he is someone who must be somewhat in the know given his profession, if McDonagh was off the panel surely he wouldn't be referencing him as someone who can come back during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Green&Red wrote: »
    Whats the story with Fionn McDonagh? I know there were rumours at the start of the year and I don't want to talk about those but does anyone know definitively if he is still on the panel?

Edwin McGreal has mentioned him twice now on the mayo news podcast, once before the Donegal game I think and again in the Monaghan preview. Don't know where McGreal is from so maybe he has an agenda but he is someone who must be somewhat in the know given his profession, if McDonagh was off the panel surely he wouldn't be referencing him as someone who can come back during the summer?

I was wondering the same. James Horan had an interview with Keith Duggan in the Irish Times after the Donegal league game. Towards the end he was talking about young players that would be stronger this year and mentioned Fionn as one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same. James Horan had an interview with Keith Duggan in the Irish Times after the Donegal league game. Towards the end he was talking about young players that would be stronger this year and mentioned Fionn as one of those.

The Horan part of that interview was given before the discipline issue came up.My understanding is Fionn is not being considered for selection for the league but will be for championship

The Horan part of that interview was given before the discipline issue came up.My understanding is Fionn is not being considered for selection for the league but will be for championship

Thats good news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Also heard he is not off the panel for the whole year
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him at latter stages of league

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Green&Red wrote: »
    Don't know where McGreal is from so maybe he has an agenda...
    Not the type to push an agenda like that from what I've seen over the years. He's more a direct call a spade a spade type. Originally from Breaffy, living out in Achill these days (often mentioned in his stories/twitter, so I'd imagine he wouldn't mind it posted).

Rumours around Castlebar for some time had been we'd not see Fionn or Eoin O'D until championship. Given we've seen Eoin already shows its always worth treating those with a heafty pinch of salt. Given the work Fionn put in last year it'd be remiss of a journalist not to query his current absence, I'd imagine. Even if we don't see him for a while yet, great to have more competition for those places going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What channel is the Mayo Kerry game on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

What channel is the Mayo Kerry game on?

Eir sport and rte2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

The Mayo team named sees five changes from the win over Meath last time. In to the team comes Padraig O'Hora, Oisin Mullin, Kevin McLoughlin, Darren Coen(first start of the season) and Eoghan McLaughlin who will be making his full debut having come off the bench last weekend.

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Padraig O'Hora - Ballina Stephenites
    3. Oisin Mullin - Kilmaine
    4. Lee Keegan - Westport
    5. Eoghan McLaughlin - Westport
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    9. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy (C)
    10. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    11. Ryan O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    15. James Carr - Ardagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

Clarke isn't getting a look in at all since the first game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

muddle84 wrote: »
    The Mayo team named sees five changes from the win over Meath last time. In to the team comes Padraig O'Hora, Oisin Mullin, Kevin McLoughlin, Darren Coen(first start of the season) and Eoghan McLaughlin who will be making his full debut having come off the bench last weekend.

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Padraig O'Hora - Ballina Stephenites
    3. Oisin Mullin - Kilmaine
    4. Lee Keegan - Westport
    5. Eoghan McLaughlin - Westport
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    9. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy (C)
    10. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    11. Ryan O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    15. James Carr - Ardagh

Darren Coen and James Carr together in the full forward line will be interesting. If Coen can get back to early last year form they will be hard to keep tabs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Padkir wrote: »
    Darren Coen and James Carr together in the full forward line will be interesting. If Coen can get back to early last year form they will be hard to keep tabs on.

I think that's a bit optimistic - one chap hasn't played in months, and the other is being hauled off at half time every game he does play.
    I was at the Dublin Monaghan game, and Monaghan looked well impressive. I know Dublin got the game back in the last 15 mins or so, but up to that, Monaghan were completely bullying them around the park.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I cannot see Mayo getting anything from this game. If so, then we are looking at trying to sneak a result in Salthill, and then down to the wire against Tyrone in Castlebar.
    Anyway, one game at a time.

I think that's a bit optimistic - one chap hasn't played in months, and the other is being hauled off at half time every game he does play.
    I was at the Dublin Monaghan game, and Monaghan looked well impressive. I know Dublin got the game back in the last 15 mins or so, but up to that, Monaghan were completely bullying them around the park.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I cannot see Mayo getting anything from this game. If so, then we are looking at trying to sneak a result in Salthill, and then down to the wire against Tyrone in Castlebar.

We have a decent record against Kerry in the league
    Don’t write that one off
    Agree about this weekend though

Like the Kerry game?

We beat Monaghan in Clones the last two times we've played there, no reason why we can't again

I assume Keegan is in to man mark McManus, that'll be interesting to see, I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry start and mark him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The 2 week break will have done us the world of good. Horan was targeting the Dublin game for a big performance and he got it until half-time, the sending-off effectively ruining all plans of a win. Meath was an abomination of a performance but getting out of there with 2 points was a massive plus. Another 2 weeks of fitness into Aido, Leeroy and a few others. I fancy us to bring a performance to Clones and get a result

Absolutely gutted but I won't make Clones tomorrow.

MWR pour moi and the deferred TV coverage on TG4 at 15.46.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I think I'll stump for the tenner on GAA Go ;)

Lukekul wrote: »
    I think I'll stump for the tenner on GAA Go ;)

Will do!Cheers for that.Will record the deferred coverage but I hate the thought of not watching it live and hiding away from any spoilers via text,whatsapp and Boards in the interim!

For some reason I could'nt log in to the website on Chrome.

Up and running on Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I've never been to Clones. I'll be coming from Sligo direction.

Any advice on parking or faculties near by?

Pattons "weapon" of a kickout isn't much use if he cant do his primary job of catching a high ball and keeping the ball out of the net.
    But I already had this debate last month and last year I believe......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Blackjack

km79 wrote: »
    Pattons "weapon" of a kickout isn't much use if he cant do his primary job of catching a high ball and keeping the ball out of the net.

Can’t imagine the Donegal lads will be having sly digs at their own keepers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

km79 wrote: »

For what his kick-outs give, I won`t begrudge him the odd faux pas. Doubt many Donegal supporters will.

charlie14 wrote: »
    For what his kick-outs give, I won`t begrudge him the odd faux pas. Doubt many Donegal supporters will.

Depends who the alternative is I guess?

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    Can’t imagine the Donegal lads will be having sly digs at their own keepers though.

I am referencing a debate I had about him last Summer and after Mayo game
    I think he is very weak under a high ball and his kickouts do not make up for that

My views on our own keepers are well known. Its not a sly dig. I want my keeper to command his area first and foremost. Others disagree. Thats why there is always a debate. Opposing views. Nothing personal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement