Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Mrs DvB rejoining slimming world tonight after weighing herself

Mrs LoughC rejoined last night too, I've rejoined a gym and will piggyback on the wife's tasty SW Meals.

I've a scales but I've yet to Weigh myself in, dreading it as I know it's going to be bad but I'm going to do it Saturday morning before the gym so it'll help me keep focus.

Planning on weighing in once a week at home, and go to gym 3-4 times a week and cut out all sh!te where possible especially during the week.

The name of this thread is brilliant. I lost a little bit of weight before Christmas. Can only assume I put it all back on since. But I'll see about losing some again now. Although I'm eating some roses as I'm writing this!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I had a relatively good start back yesterday - stuck to the plan for the most part. I did do a bit of idle picking - gave the kids a packet of veggie sticks & ate a few without thinking. Also had a slice of Christmas cake too but used my syns on that. I can't go cold-turkey on the nice stuff or I'll just get to Sunday and have a blow out. Got out for my walk as well so pleased with that. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not a bad day yesterday, all good aside from a Jaffa cake late in the evening. Going cold turkey on chocolate is hard after eating mutliple times per day :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I just got a tin of jaffa cakes as a present, so have to work my way through them now!!
    miamee wrote: »
    cold turkey
    I miss turkey. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Mrs LoughC rejoined last night too, I've rejoined a gym and will piggyback on the wife's tasty SW Meals.

I've a scales but I've yet to Weigh myself in, dreading it as I know it's going to be bad but I'm going to do it Saturday morning before the gym so it'll help me keep focus.

Planning on weighing in once a week at home, and go to gym 3-4 times a week and cut out all sh!te where possible especially during the week.

Piggybacking the wifes SW tips are a must, I do it all the time, its essentially 2 for 1 minus the weigh in, which I can do without. :D

I wouldn't get too hung up on making the gym 3/4 times a week though, there'll be weeks that wont happen, but just try to stay somewhat active, keep up the walking etc, even if its just 15 minutes at lunchtime...

I find once the longer evenings come in the running/cycling/walking outdoors in the evening becomes a pleasure too, its a great way to clear the head & get the heart & lungs pumping... personally speaking its as much about stress relief from work as it is for aerobic fitness & weight control, I see clearly that when I'm not exercising my stress levels go through the roof & it impacts my sleep & general mood greatly but If i do manage to get a few rums/cycles in it works wonders in keeping me 'normal' ;)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not a bad day yesterday, all good aside from a Jaffa cake late in the evening. Going cold turkey on chocolate is hard after eating mutliple times per day :eek:

One of the best things about Christmas is having chocolate for Breakfast!
    DvB wrote: »
    Piggybacking the wifes SW tips are a must, I do it all the time, its essentially 2 for 1 minus the weigh in, which I can do without. :D

I wouldn't get too hung up on making the gym 3/4 times a week though, there'll be weeks that wont happen, but just try to stay somewhat active, keep up the walking etc, even if its just 15 minutes at lunchtime...

I find once the longer evenings come in the running/cycling/walking outdoors in the evening becomes a pleasure too, its a great way to clear the head & get the heart & lungs pumping... personally speaking its as much about stress relief from work as it is for aerobic fitness & weight control, I see clearly that when I'm not exercising my stress levels go through the roof & it impacts my sleep & general mood greatly but If i do manage to get a few rums/cycles in it works wonders in keeping me 'normal' ;)

I'm the same, I love going for walks/jogs after work, I definitely find them great for the stress relief. I'm going back at the gym as I find it a great boost for Weight loss more so than diet and again the mood and sleep are always better after it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I literally spent the entire month of December making an utter pig out of myself :o there were far too many special offers on those tins of sweets, and too many fancy dinners in Lidl, and I have pretty much no restraint when it comes to that. The result of which I discovered on Jan 1st, when my scales proclaimed that I've gained a stone since Halloween.

I'm not too upset about it, this has been the first Christmas since 2006 that we haven't been absolutely smashed broke, so it was lovely to be able to fill our place with festive treats the way the houses used to be when we were kids.

I've downloaded couch to 5k and I'm planning on starting it next week when the schools go back. The plan is that I'll do it in the kitchen (just jogging on the spot) while my daughter is having her morning nap. That way I can't use the lousy weather as an excuse not to do it. I have one of those bottles that reminds you to drink water every hour, so I've started using that and also tracking what I eat on MyFitnessPal.

First gym session of 2019 done.

Hopefully I won’t be too sore tomorrow haha.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Fair play!

I bought a kettle bell today in hopes of doing a bit of toning for the upper arms. My husband already has one but it’s 10kg so way too heavy for me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

Havent missed a day in the gym yet, 2 through to today. I stupidly weighed myself first thing this morning, so my real weight. I was 100.9kg. How the flip did that happen. I had one cheat meal, a portion of fires, that can't allow for a 3kg weight gain.

Anyway I will cut down on the carbs tomorrow (I have prepped all my meals for today) and I will put a few runs in this week. I still havent knocked this strep throat and its morphed into laryngitis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Did my first real run if the year this morning. Managed 8k in 35 minutes which at the time I was disappointed with but looking back thinking it wasn't too bad. I had hoped to get 10k in but being honest i was done after the 8 so need to get my fitness back up now. Want to be back dping 10ks asap.
    Weighed in before the run and was 11st 10lbs, so 3lbs up in total from the 2 weeks of Christmas, I can live with that TBH and reckon I can shift that as long as work doesn't get in the way.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

I Have bought a fitbit charge 3, a salter scales from aldi, opened a myfitness pal acc. Am so hoping to loose weight by next christmas. I started following people on Instagram who have lost substantial weight and they are so inspiring. They have done it naturally, and by themselves which makes me feel like I can really do it.

Good luck to you all on your journeys.
    (I'm sitting here writing this while tucking into my mother's christmas cake)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Day 4 fully on plan despite dinner in the in-laws. Still have syns for a treat later. I’m a little obsessed right now but I know that will calm. Sugar cravings headache has started to ease too

After the decluttering I spent the Afternoon with my wife batch cooking our lunches and dinners for the week.

We don’t have to cook another meal until dinner Thursday evening. The best thing now is there’s no temptation to go off plan when the meals are already cooked and need to be reheated.

That's great, Loughc. What meals did you cook? I need some inspo!

I was doing great up until Mr. CL came home from the UK on Saturday evening & suggested we open a bottle of wine. I caved in without a moment's hesitation :( Then we had pancakes for breakfast yesterday, although I had only one. Had a decent dinner but then I had a few Afternoon Tea. I just love biscuits. Anyway, back on it & tbh, I have been way better than I had been over Christmas, so I think I should manage a pound off this week. I lose weight very slowly (yet put it on in the blink of an eye :rolleyes:).

I bought a 12kg kettle bell yesterday for doing squats with & a 4kg one to try and tone my arms. I'm going to try do a few fitness sessions from Youtube too.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

3 weeks of Turkey burgers& Rice /Chicken & rice
    Lose the initial bloat then curb my diet and get stuck into gym. Have prepped this weeks last night.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    That's great, Loughc. What meals did you cook? I need some inspo!

I lose weight very slowly (yet put it on in the blink of an eye :rolleyes:).

I'm going to try do a few fitness sessions from Youtube too.

We made, SW Fakeaway Chicken Curry (really delish) there's syns needed for the curry powder we use and syns if you want to turn it into a satay for Peanut Butter, instead of having it with chips/rice we're having it with brocolli, speed and all that.

Lasagna, only syns here for the white sauce. Again having veg on the side with it.

We also made Cheesy chicken Pizza pasta in the slow cooker, which is just passatta, spices, peppers, onions, chicken fillets in the slow cooker, cook until you can shred the chicken and then add in pasta mix it all together and top with cheese and pepperoni.

The syns are low enough for the curry and lasagna as it's split over 6 portions.

I'm the same as you CL, I can pop on 7 pounds in a week no problem and it would take me 5-6 weeks to get rid of 7 pounds.

Try fitnessblender.com for exercise videos, it's free and you can pick exercise type, difficulty, duration, etc etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I weighed myself yesterday morning to see how bad it was - not as bad as I expected but still not good. I'd restrict it to a weigh in at home once a week though, you'd have yourself driven mad otherwise.

Well, I weighed myself again on Sunday morning - it's worse than I thought :eek: I think having the weighing scales on the carpet last week had me fooled. Both myself and OH have put on more than we're happy with so we've both started using the Samsung Health app which seems to be good so far. We're friends on it so can challenge each other via the app as well as share our progress.

Well, I weighed myself again on Sunday morning - it's worse than I thought :eek: I think having the weighing scales on the carpet last week had me fooled. Both myself and OH have put on more than we're happy with so we've both started using the Samsung Health app which seems to be good so far. We're friends on it so can challenge each other via the app as well as share our progress.

There's nothing better than having someone to motivate you and push you, especially if there's a bit of competitiveness going on as well.

I'm happy enough with my Christmas Gain but that's not saying much as I wasn't happy with my weight before Christmas so I have alot of work to do, but I'm feeling motivated so that's good :)

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »

I'm the same as you CL, I can pop on 7 pounds in a week no problem and it would take me 5-6 weeks to get rid of 7 pounds.

Try fitnessblender.com for exercise videos, it's free and you can pick exercise type, difficulty, duration, etc etc

Glad to be in good company, Loughc :P

Thanks for the tip! will take a look at that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Glad to be in good company, Loughc :P

Thanks for the tip! will take a look at that site!

I'm with you both - can put the weigh on no problem, but losing it is slow and painful process.

Anyway, I started this morning - well I set myself up last night with fruit and veg shop and even roasted a chicken breast for my lunches. I'm now 9st 9....which is a gain of 7 lbs since I started eating extra at the start of the December on the 'ah feic it, it's Christmas' basis.

Need to get back to 8.5 st or below now....as I already had holiday gains before my Christmas gains. I'm going to follow the WW SP plan from about 2 years ago as I have all the info & I just need to stick to the plan.

Leslie Sansone does great exercise walking videos on You Tube - you can get 1/2/3 mile walks, so you can do whatever you have time for on any given day without leaving the house......especially if the weather is bad.

fuz38o.jpg

Worth a listen to, for anyone into podcasts. :)

What are syns?

I did six days straight in the gym, today is my first rest day. Mainly weights with some HIT thrown in (not that much as I am time restricted). I am mostly sticking to the diet, mostly as in I am not taking as many protein shakes as are in this diet as I am can't fit them in. Strangely enough I would easily fit in a portion of cods and chips though.

Week 2 of my programme starts tomorrow. I have failed in my plan of throwing in a 5k and a 10k this week due to laziness. I would like to do one tonight but its date night and I won't get away with it.

The couch to 5k is great. I had the third of my leg surgeries and was 113kg but still saw myself as a svelte 24 year old galloping around the pitch until I meet my GF (now OH). I regaled her with my past athlete prowess (I must not have looked in a mirror much). So one evening we went for a jog. Now I had not been too log off crutches but I couldn't jog. Not kidding, I thought I was having a heart attack in my 20's. After her laughing a lot and me crying (not really) we settled with small goals. I started trying to jog for a minute then walk for a minute. It was embarrassing, I used to train twice a day and I couldnt make a minute. But baby steps got me back.

I need to do that again now. My 10k times are creeping up and I am getting heavier an older.

First 6.30am gym session done and dusted. Let’s see how long I can keep them up :pac:

Good man/elf. The hardest bit for me is actually physically getting out of bed then the rest is grand. I am in work by 7.30am so my alarm is 5.10am, drive to gym near work, workout, shower and drive 5 mins to work. By 6pm im shattered.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Good man/elf. The hardest bit for me is actually physically getting out of bed then the rest is grand. I am in work by 7.30am so my alarm is 5.10am, drive to gym near work, workout, shower and drive 5 mins to work. By 6pm im shattered.

Same! :o

I find, wither it's getting up at 6am, 7am or 8am I still don't want to but once you're up it's grand.

Jude13 wrote: »
    What are syns?

Syns are the Slimming World Equivilant or Points. So you should only spend 5-15 "syns" on treats, jarred sauces, condiments,etc.

That's very true. Even though I class myself as a morning person as I get most done then and am perky getting out of bed is a pain.

Syn's make sense now, I'm used to counting my macro's so I guess its just another way of doing something similar. A pal of mine used to be big in Unislim, never mixed it with exercise so didnt quite stay off.

• Advertisement

Fair play Jude and Loughc on the early morning gym sessions! I'm in my gym gear so that I don't have an excuse to not get out at lunchtime for a walk. Might try a bit of a jog. Used to be great at the running before I had the kids, even did a marathon once. Now I'd die if I had to run to the end of the road :(

Realised last night that we still have loads of crap in the house. Came home from work and Mr. CL had found another two selection boxes so now we had 4 sitting on top of the microwave :eek: He was going off for work for a few days so while he was packing his food bag, I was throwing in selection boxes, biscuits, pringles etc. :pac::pac:

Advertisement