Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to spend excess Credit [Vodafone&Three on Android + iOS]

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

BKWDR wrote: »
    30 yoyos

I bought something for €33.99 with Three credit just a few days ago so the limit must be higher than that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm trying to sub to Shudder for €47.88 but 3 is saying "Purchase exceeds transaction limit".

Has that changed now? What's the limit?

There might be an issue as you were a monthly subscriber to Shudder.

You might not be able to change it to annual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Never thought this thread would explode to 1300 posts, hope you are all getting good use out of your credit!

Me personally I'm donating my credit and using coingate the odd time to rack up some ethereum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Quackster wrote: »
    I bought something for €33.99 with Three credit just a few days ago so the limit must be higher than that.

Sorry someone said it must have been lifted

Nope... only thing I paid for last time was 4.99 for Shudder monthly in January.

Nothing paid this month yet as I cancelled the monthly Shudder sub.

Keep with the monthly sub maybe? It's only 13 euro more a year plus it's not really money out of your pocket anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Keep with the monthly sub maybe? It's only 13 euro more a year plus it's not really money out of your pocket anyway

If I have to I will but still it'd be nice to use up the huge amount of credit I've built up.

Three might start expiring old credit or something crazy in coming months. I wouldn't put it past them.

If I have to I will but still it'd be nice to use up the huge amount of credit I've built up.

Three might start expiring old credit or something crazy in coming months. I wouldn't put it past them.

There's always the charities if they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Siadonun

Me personally I'm donating my credit and using coingate the odd time to rack up some ethereum

I had no idea one could use mobile credit for that. What's the name of the app to do that?

Siadonun wrote: »
    I had no idea one could use mobile credit for that. What's the name of the app to do that?

If you're on Android the app is called alchemy, not sure if there's an ios equivalent. You pick your preferred charity and it sends the text for you

You're not on an old O2 plan by any chance, are you?

On the standard Three PAYG plan, when you top-up, that top-up credit goes into a 'queue' until you've spent all the credit that was already on the account. If after six months it's still in the queue, it's expired before you get a chance to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There's always the charities if they do!

I get it and all but stop pushing the charities, a lot of people either don't want to or are wary. I mean, it's fairly constant.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I get it and all but stop pushing the charities, a lot of people either don't want to or are wary. I mean, it's fairly constant.

I'm the OP and will continue to do so. 1300 replies and people need reminding. Don't like it then get off my thread

Quackster wrote: »
    You're not on an old O2 plan by any chance, are you?

On the standard Three PAYG plan, when you top-up, that top-up credit goes into a 'queue' until you've spent all the credit that was already on the account. If after six months it's still in the queue, it's expired before you get a chance to use it.

yep old plan so my credit doesnt expire...so far. Anyway Im waiting to hear back from support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭matchthis

Might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but Avatar the movie is 6.99 on play store

yep old plan so my credit doesnt expire...so far. Anyway Im waiting to hear back from support.

O2 would have had their own rules on limits etc and it's likely those rules still apply as the ex-O2 customers are effectively still managed as a separate MVNO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

over 1300 posts? wow.
    So any ideas on what I should spend my credit on? Never looked at this thread and 1300 posts is a lot to wade through :pac:

We probably need an updated version of the OP's 1st post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kenyard

over 1300 posts? wow.
    So any ideas on what I should spend my credit on? Never looked at this thread and 1300 posts is a lot to wade through :pac:

The consensus seems to be charities and not charities.
    But if you are going the not charities route, know that you can always go the charities route.

Main few things iv seen. Most on first post are still valid.
    YouTube premium.
    Text entry competitions.
    Shudder? Horror movie Netflix like service thing.
    Some Bitcoin thing which seems interesting
    Buy movies,books,apps or music in play store.
    Cloud Storage (100GB E2 or 200GB for E3)
    VPN (please comment with good examples if you have any)
    Adverts/Done deal cost of putting up your ad
    Did I mention charities? Because if not someone else will.

I personally go YouTube premium. An app or two, and will probably look into parkbytext.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Cloud and VPN two more good go to

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kenyard

edited and added.
    i asume you mean cloud storage (e.g. dropbox).

iv been on the lookout for a VPN myself but cant find a decent one via playstore/that can be paid from here that doesnt cost stupid money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

kenyard wrote: »
    edited and added.
    i asume you mean cloud storage (e.g. dropbox).

iv been on the lookout for a VPN myself but cant find a decent one via playstore/that can be paid from here that doesnt cost stupid money

Yeah sorry, google one/drive is dirt cheap, 100GB E2 or 200GB for E3, all depends on what you need it for

Almost ALL services per month will be dearer, you have to say to yourself its "free" as you are using excess credit.

Rather spend it on something than forget and bang double figures gone on phone call or data etc, with nothing to show for it

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭go4it

Viber out : call regular numbers at lower cost and have your phone number as call ID
    Yolla voip ( and others alike , me thinks? ) - voip low cost calls to regular numbers, using your phone number as call id ( i know vodafone does 100min for 5e, but could call cheaper with voip, and after 28 days the 'minutes' don't expire )

google one cloud storage 200Gb/year for ~30e
    adverts/donedeal? fees

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭go4it

le: maybe someone knows a way to 'buy' voucher codes that can be applied at more expensive services, to bring the overall/yearly price down, under 30e, so we can buy it with phone credit...
    Personally i don't mind to pay 30% extra, to cover the seller's expense with play store revenue..

I personally go YouTube premium. An app or two, and will probably look into parkbytext.

YouTube Premium is a good choice if you can't think of anything else to spend on. I currently pay about €2.50/month out of my own pocket for YouTube Premium family for me and my whole family, so works out much better value.

My current credit spend:

Office 365 - €7
    GDrive 200GB - was paying per month but recently paid something like €30 for the year.
    TVirl IPTV EPG updater for Android TV on my Shield - €2.50/month

The rest goes on the occasional app and Viber Out credit. I've also bought a few things on my Shield such as Jackbox Party Packs.

Basil3 wrote: »
    YouTube Premium is a good choice if you can't think of anything else to spend on. I currently pay about €2.50/month out of my own pocket for YouTube Premium family for me and my whole family, so works out much better value.

My current credit spend:

Office 365 - €7
    GDrive 200GB - was paying per month but recently paid something like €30 for the year.
    TVirl IPTV EPG updater for Android TV on my Shield - €2.50/month

The rest goes on the occasional app and Viber Out credit. I've also bought a few things on my Shield such as Jackbox Party Packs.

Interesting... Could one use phone credit to get channels or just the EPG?

The consensus seems to be charities and not charities.
    But if you are going the not charities route, know that you can always go the charities route.

Main few things iv seen. Most on first post are still valid.
    YouTube premium.
    Text entry competitions.
    Shudder? Horror movie Netflix like service thing.
    Some Bitcoin thing which seems interesting
    Buy movies,books,apps or music in play store.
    Cloud Storage (100GB E2 or 200GB for E3)
    VPN (please comment with good examples if you have any)
    Adverts/Done deal cost of putting up your ad
    Did I mention charities? Because if not someone else will.

BitCoin? Interesting as well. How might take work?

*edit*
    I see something called coingate.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

BitCoin? Interesting as well. How might take work?

*edit*
    I see something called coingate.

is there a minimum transfer to coingate? I recall you need to have at least 100euros in credit to buy some cryptocurrency

is there a minimum transfer to coingate? I recall you need to have at least 100euros in credit to buy some cryptocurrency

No idea sadly. Just saw the website.
    So just so I have this right, we can say top up by 20 euro on pay as you go. Get your free calls or what not then use the remaining credit to spend it on other things?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

No idea sadly. Just saw the website.
    So just so I have this right, we can say top up by 20 euro on pay as you go. Get your free calls or what not then use the remaining credit to spend it on other things?

I use the €20 on Deezer, Shudder and apps/movies form play store.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    I use the €20 on Deezer, Shudder and apps/movies form play store.

Feel like an idiot for now knowing this sooner lol.
    Think I have to change PAYG top up plan on vodafone. They automatically take the 20 euro.

Advertisement